Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Restring a bentwood rocker? 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have an old bentwood rocker that needs the seat restrung.
It belonged to my ex wife's great grandmother so has absolutely no sentimental value to me.
About 100 years old.

Are they worth anything?
I suppose an upholsterer does this?
Is it expensive to do?

Thanks,

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you post a photo?

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:01 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Went to but.........
Camera battery low, charging it.
Should have them up tomorrow.

Thanks!

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it one with "cane" back and seat. Does it look like this:

If so, it's a neat DIY project. I did one about 35 years ago and it just takes some patience. The "weaving" process is done in steps but not hard at all.

If this is the type of seat material you can learn how to do it yourself here:https://www.wickerwoman.com/articles/chair-caning-instructions

If you decide to do it yourself some things I learned from my project. First take all the old material off. If it has a bead of wood at the end of the caning that covers the holes the cane is strung through take that out first. A flat faced pin punch from the bottom and lots of patience so you don't break it if you can avoid it. If you do you can use doweling soaked in water (or steamed) as a replacement.

Send the frame out to one of those furniture stripper joints. The kind where they just hang it in a chamber and the vapor strips the paint. Will save you hours of cleaning. Then re-glue all the joints. I found that drilling a real small hole and using a syringe filled with "Elmers", fill the joint with glue. Drill a hole on the blind end of the joint and use a meat injection syringe. I've taken some apart in the past but old wood workers often slit the end of the "tenon" and inserted a wedge. When the parts were assembled they smeared glue on the tenon and then pounded everything together with a big cowhide mallet. This forced the wedge into the end and expanded it. Over the years the glue powdered but the wedge held pretty well resulting in an hour-glass shape. Makes it a bitch to take apart easily so I now just inject glue. Make sure the hole is small enough that when you insert the needle you actually have a seal so the glue is forced into the joint and all gaps rather than just flowing back our alongside the needle.

As to it's value? If it's in good shape and truly about 100 years old, it could be worth some real $$. Really nice ones sell today for over $1,000. "Antiques" can sell for even more if from a well known company. At the least you'll have a neat looking rocker that will be comfy to sit in on the porch while enjoying a Brandy and Cigar. :thumbsup2:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:57 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Thanks a lot Deadshot.

Now this is bizarre!
The one in my garage isn't the one I was thinking of.
I'm guessing the ex wife pulled a switcheroo and left me a broken POS chair.

Is this one even worth fixing, or should I just take it to the dump?

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a cheap fix - just try not to fart in the chair as much once it is re-caned.

It will last longer that way.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok , I think you can buy the woven seat already done.
Then you install it yourself with no weaving required by you.

Edit : google "woven cane seat repair ". This link has what your looking for.

https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/1-2-i ... fgodR-MM4g

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It appears this chair is using a pre-woven material. It's put in place and then held there by the wooden "rim" that's most likely pressed down around it. I did one similar but just cut the cane flush against the retainer and then drilled holes so I could re-weave.

This chair is definitely worth repair, either way. Use a modern material like Varathane instead of varnish when sealing the cane. Older stuff kind of rotted when varnished.

And I too suggest one cut back on the bean burrito's. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]