Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:37 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Not firearms strictly, but I think this is a good fit 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I turned a point in my life about two months ago. I realized that there`s almost nothing I have use for that I can`t just make myself. So I`ve begun hoarding scrap materials, needles and thread for my own little projects. They invariably finish ugly as sin but tough enough for my purposes. So this is the project I`m most proud of:

I`ve always liked the old Soviet drop cases for folding AK pattern rifles but have been having trouble justifying the price tag for a surplus case. I got on google and found a few good photos of them opened and closed and set to work. I used a cannibalized pair of Austrian surplus BDU pants and a Swiss rubberized rucksack from which I cut webbing and buckles. The overall look of my case would be a bit cleaner if I hadn`t been working on another project before. I was originally making the pants into a set of gaiters but decided to scrap that, that`s why the muzzle end of the case looks terrible, because it was originally intended to be a tube.

I pleasantly surprised myself with this project, all told it took about 6 hour`s solid work (4 hours one evening and about two the next day, excluding a bit of touching up around the edges). I still have a lot to learn (for example I do most of my stitching with waxed dental floss because it`s easier to thread) but I have a lot of fun doing it.

Anyways, here are a few progress pics:

EDITING TO ADD:
About 3/4 of the floss used on this one was Mint flavored. For a while afterwards my fingers stunk of menthol, as did my bedroom. Only reason it`s not totally mint is because the roll ran out. It seems that green gear with white stitching has become a bit of a trademark.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Wed May 31, 2017 11:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Neat. Rugged and functional, what else do you need? :thumbsup2:

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:13 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Traut wrote:
Neat. Rugged and functional, what else do you need? :thumbsup2:

Exactly.

I'm not much of a craftsman myself, but when I do occasionally make something it's very satisfying to be self-sufficient!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many thanks, guys! I`ve also made a shitty sling (that was cannibalized for this project) and I think I`m forgetting something else.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dat carpet doe :rockout:

Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MynameisJeff wrote:
Dat carpet doe :rockout:

Had to skin 4 whole wookies.

Labor of love, man.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get yourself a sewing machine. An old one. One made of metal not plastic.
Then find a little old lady to show you how to thread the.......well...thread and bobbin.
And you'll be in business ! Faster, better looking stitches and perhaps stronger also.
I do admire your willingness to try and make anything :thumbsup2:

Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, man!

Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:16 pm

survivor wrote:
Get yourself a sewing machine. An old one. One made of metal not plastic.
Then find a little old lady to show you how to thread the.......well...thread and bobbin.
And you'll be in business ! Faster, better looking stitches and perhaps stronger also.
I do admire your willingness to try and make anything :thumbsup2:

This, and you can double stitch. Meaning turn whatever you are making inside out, run a stitch then flip it back to how it should be. Pull the seam tight and stitch back over it.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many of the 'sewing machine/vacuum' stores offer free, or very cheap, classes. Their goal is to get you to buy a sewing machine, but of course, you don't have to.....

There are industrial ones that would suit you well....like guns, there is an art to finding the older models that were better made & last forever....

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]