Let's talk about guns!
Post a reply

Re: What did you do today in the world of firearms?

Sat May 27, 2017 10:33 pm

NWGunner wrote:
MadPick wrote:^ Hmmmm . . . that's pretty darned nice, Michael. thumbsup

:plusone: Mashie, very nice :thumbsup2:

Indeed very nice, can't take the plunge yet

Sun May 28, 2017 8:26 am

cmica wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
MadPick wrote:^ Hmmmm . . . that's pretty darned nice, Michael. thumbsup

:plusone: Mashie, very nice :thumbsup2:

Indeed very nice, can't take the plunge yet

What's holding you back?

Sun May 28, 2017 12:19 pm

Not necessarily firearms but at a swap meet today I found an old Belgian camouflage field jacket for $2. Missing a couple buttons and the tightening cords around the wrists.

Sun May 28, 2017 12:26 pm

Today I installed my girlfriend's GunVault, which like mine connects to AC power but has a 9V battery backup. While I was at it, I checked mine . . . I pulled the AC plug out and tried to open it. The battery had enough power to "beep beep" when I entered the code, but not enough power to open the door. Eek.

I replaced the battery, and it worked fine.

Supposedly it has a low-battery indicator, but I've never seen or heard it do anything. So . . . just a thought, if you have one you might check the function on battery.

Sun May 28, 2017 12:41 pm

Loaded up 200 rounds 180gr HAP 10mm. With BE-86. 8.2 gr.

Sun May 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Not today but a week ago i test fired a prototype battle rifle of my design.

I also picked up my Silencerco Hybrid.

Sun May 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Talons wrote:Not today but a week ago i test fired a prototype battle rifle of my design.

C'mon, give us some info or pics of that bad boy. "Battle Rifle?" So it's a Big Boy Caliber.....Nice.

Sun May 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Out here in ID on a hunting trip with two of my uncles. Woke up this morning before sunrise and went coyote hunting. One of my uncles managed to get one. After that, spent a few hours sitting out in a field shooting ground squirrels.

Good day, this has been a wonderful vacation so far.

Sun May 28, 2017 7:12 pm

usrifle wrote:
Talons wrote:Not today but a week ago i test fired a prototype battle rifle of my design.

C'mon, give us some info or pics of that bad boy. "Battle Rifle?" So it's a Big Boy Caliber.....Nice.

You guys will see it some day. Can't really say much!

Sun May 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Went to the range yesterday and finally started putting rounds where I want them. My groupings are ok - I feel great about them since I've only been shooting since November, but I'm ALWAYS low and left.

Have been told I'm anticipating recoil but had not been able to stop it. So last night, I waited an extra beat before pulling the trigger - AND MY HAND JERKED and THEN I pulled the trigger and the round went right through the middle of the target.

I did this a bunch of times - waited for my hand to jerk first. Not a long term solution, but still I know that's actually the problem and can start finding other strategies to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun May 28, 2017 7:27 pm

It sounds like you made good progress, Inger.

The answer is dry-firing. With an empty gun, line up the sights and s-l-o-w-l-y press the trigger until it clicks. Re-cock the gun, repeat. About ten times, or a hundred times, or until it feels nice and smooth and the gun doesn't twitch when the trigger breaks.

Then load ONE round into the gun. Line up the sights, and tell yourself that the gun is empty and it's only going to "click." Do EXACTLY what you did when you were dry-firing. Do it right, and you'll hit the target.

Then dry-fire some more.

Then load ONE round . . . rinse and repeat, etc.

I did a whole range session the other day and never loaded more than six rounds into the mag. I'm convinced that simply loading a full mag, if you're struggling with jerking the trigger, is a big mistake.

Sun May 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Indeed. Reinforced bad habits are my specific specialty. Golf. Shooting. Pissing off mods.

Sun May 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Love the warm weather. Making ammo almost every day. Much better than 50°F in the shop.

Sun May 28, 2017 8:30 pm

MadPick wrote:It sounds like you made good progress, Inger.

The answer is dry-firing. With an empty gun, line up the sights and s-l-o-w-l-y press the trigger until it clicks. Re-cock the gun, repeat. About ten times, or a hundred times, or until it feels nice and smooth and the gun doesn't twitch when the trigger breaks.

Then load ONE round into the gun. Line up the sights, and tell yourself that the gun is empty and it's only going to "click." Do EXACTLY what you did when you were dry-firing. Do it right, and you'll hit the target.

Then dry-fire some more.

Then load ONE round . . . rinse and repeat, etc.

I did a whole range session the other day and never loaded more than six rounds into the mag. I'm convinced that simply loading a full mag, if you're struggling with jerking the trigger, is a big mistake.

Thanks! You're not the first person to tell me to dry-fire so maybe I should try it. Also it helps to know that as experienced as you are, you still do it.

Sun May 28, 2017 8:31 pm

Pablo wrote:Indeed. Reinforced bad habits are my specific specialty. Golf. Shooting. Pissing off mods.

*snort*

Post a reply