Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 PSA: Random bug out bag reminder 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mother Nature has shown us that the S can HTF at any time. Multitudes of people in the path of a damaged dam in CA have been told to evacuate (story if you're interested -- http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-live-updates-oroville-dam-biggest-fear-at-oroville-dam-a-30-foot-1486999579-htmlstory.html) and this seems like a good opportunity to encourage anyone with a BOB to check their supplies and refresh them if they're past their expiration dates/leaking/turned a color they weren't supposed to/whatever. If you don't have a BOB, now would also be a good time to think about whether adding one to your household makes sense.

That is all.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Dam situation is Cali is scary as hell.

My power went out last week from weighted branched falling on power lines and it was a good reminder to cycle through and take inventory batteries. between Christmas, and camping my battery reserves were gone.

Making a run to the store if the shit really went down would obviously not be possible.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The scale of damage to the dam is huge.

Workers in one of the holes:

A wider view of that same hole:

Eek.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. this situation could have been prevented by dam responsible parties making better dam decisions on dam maintenance/updates. But.... but, money.
2. someone was pretty obviously pencil whipping their main spillway inspection forms for a while otherwise that hole would not have developed when the spillway actually needed to be used.
3. thats a big fucking hole and they better get some concrete and pump trucks coming quick if they want to patch that mofo before the next storm fills whatever volume they can drain from the dam between now and then and they are right back here with the same problem in a few weeks. Weather dipshits say they have 2 days before it starts pissing again.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those energy dissipators at the bottom of the discharge (the four upright pylons) must be made of stern stuff to withstand the onslaught from the water. Given that the sluiceway itself eroded through (I assume that's what happened), you'd think the same type of erosion would be happening to them since they're deliberately placed to interrupt the flow of the water and reduce it's force to the riprap below them.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
Those energy dissipators at the bottom of the discharge (the four upright pylons) must be made of stern stuff to withstand the onslaught from the water. Given that the sluiceway itself eroded through (I assume that's what happened), you'd think the same type of erosion would be happening to them since they're deliberately placed to interrupt the flow of the water and reduce it's force to the riprap below them.

I would bet there is a fair amount of rebar in them connecting them to the foundation and the spillway.

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:05 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Fed and state agencies were warned of this 12 years ago.
The water agencies didn't want to pay to upgrade the dam to modern standards.

"FERC rejected that request, however, after the state Department of Water Resources, and the water agencies that would likely have had to pay the bill for the upgrades, said they were unnecessary. Those agencies included the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, which provides water to 19 million people in Los Angeles, San Diego and other areas, along with the State Water Contractors, an association of 27 agencies that buy water from the state of California through the State Water Project. The association includes the Metropolitan Water District, Kern County Water Agency, the Santa Clara Valley Water District and the Alameda County Water District.

Federal officials at the time said that the emergency spillway was designed to handle 350,000 cubic feet per second and the concerns were overblown.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The overflow obviously leaked between sections, undermined the structure, and collapsed.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:11 pm

For those of us living in the Cascadia Subduction Zone, this PSA is important. We should be checking our bags on a regular basis. When that 9+ quake finally hits, we won't have time to check it out...

The 'eathen in 'is blindness bows down to wood an' stone --
'E don't obey no orders unless they is 'is own.
The 'eathen in 'is blindness must end where 'e began
But the backbone of the Army is the Non-commissioned Man!

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That hole is int he main spillway. The emergency spillway is where things are in the biggest trouble. Here's a different view. (Below) If they have to use the emergency spillway again they are afraid of the water undermining the concrete wall that forms the cap of the emergency spillway. That gives way and you have 30+ feet high wall or water roaring down the valley that will completely destroy everything in its path.

Attachment:
la-me-g-oroville-dam-scene2.png

PS great post and a good reminder.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bump for the bug-out/bug in PSA.

And how about a $5,000 bug out kit to ogle:

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/elite ... newsletter

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]