Poll ended at Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:59 pm
Yes, going to breakfast. 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
No, but I will be at the hearing. 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6

February 2, at 9:00 am Discuss House bill 1387/1122 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talking points:

- this law will be ineffective, won't save a single life, because there is no nexus between rifles of any kind and the majority of firearm violence in WA
- between 2010-2014, the highest number of rifle homicides in a year was 6, typically 2-3 per year
- In the same period, the highest annual number of handgun homicides was 84
- there's no connection between so called high capacity magazines and firearm violence in WA
- we need to focus on other fronts to reduce the driving factors of violent crime in WA: illegal drugs, gangs and poverty

My suggestion is to not mention the 2nd amendment, or the WA constitution because it is up to the courts to decide, and it is a distraction from the core problem with these bills, that they will not be effective, and will not save ANY lives.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't get off of work. Part of me wants to call in sick but we're short staffed as it is. Very disappointing. I'll be thinking about it all day. Good luck everyone!

Member:
2nd Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Firearms Policy Coalition
Silent Majority Foundation
NRA

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
Talking points:

- this law will be ineffective, won't save a single life, because there is no nexus between rifles of any kind and the majority of firearm violence in WA
- between 2010-2014, the highest number of rifle homicides in a year was 6, typically 2-3 per year
- there's no connection between so called high capacity magazines and firearm violence in WA
- we need to focus on other fronts to reduce the driving factors of violent crime in WA: illegal drugs, gangs and poverty

My suggestion is to not mention the 2nd amendment, or the WA constitution because it is up to the courts to decide, and it is a distraction from the core problem with these bills, that they will not be effective, and will not save ANY lives.

What about due process, and a restriction on property rights, as both of those are pretty heavily screwed over by this bill.

Also, what are the odds this whole thing is nothing more than political show that means nothing? I believe unless something has changed that not only the votes are literally not there, but that it won't get out of the Senate judiciary committee?

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if it's a good talking point. But now would be a good time to talk about bans in "general". How they target innocent individuals unfairly, given the lack of evidence. Especially when some bans threaten due process and our rights.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:54 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

ANZAC wrote:
Talking points:

On my post earlier I also pointed out there there are more homicides with bare hands than with rifles. Many more with blunt objects and rifles. About 5x more with knives than with rifles. Many charts and links to the 2010-2014 FBI data are included in that post on page 1 of this thread.

I'm sorry I can't join, thank you to all who are going!

About, facebook, twitter, wiki

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm still in for tomorrow. I will be wearing an orange Clemson hat for easy identification!

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wish I could make it but my work is slammed this week. I'm sure you guys will probably cover all the important points.

If these piles of trash ever get a Senate hearing I guarantee you I'll make time for that and be there.

My advice to those who are going:

- arrive for the hearing 2-3 hours AHEAD of time.

- find the Capitol staff who control and organize the hearings and express concern that different factions may attempt to cut in line and/or bully others.

- ask to see the sign up sheets as early as possilbe. If the sraff say they will only be released right before hand or passed down the line before hand then ask for specifics and record their answers surreptitiously if possible with cellphone video.

- get in line early at the hearing room.

- if possible group together and periodically send one person from your group to check every 20-30 min to see if committee chair is playing tricks and moving the hearing room location at the last minute, or send your extra person to sign up for people if the sheet is away from the line.

-start video recording the line the moment it even begins to get crowded. Bring large SD cards for your video camera/cellphone and bring power pods/ spare batteries.

-record the hearing as TVW is not reliable in hiw quickly or what quality and consistency the hearing recordings are.

-be aware the committee chairs can and will play tricks depending on their bias.

-in your testimony do NOT confront or even directly address ANY committee member in front of you in a negative manner, even if they are a bill sponsor. Doing so will get you ejected by WSP.

-refrain from applause or booing.

-the House (and Senate thanks to Owen and Habib) has banned open carry from hearings. Do not OC or you will likely be arrested.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:40 am

I can't do breakfast, but, I will be at the Capitol for this hearing.
Do we have a meetup spot and time designated for those unable to go to the breakfast. Itwould be great for all of us to be seen as a group.
I am almost certain WAGR and the other Bloomturd sponsored groups will be there too.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reservation will be under "Chuck". Some of us will be there at 8:30 am.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

golddigger14s wrote:

8:30? The hearings start at 9am

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

8:30? The hearings start at 9am

hearing is at 1:30pm at capital

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From Dave Workman's article:

Quote:
The House Judiciary Committee is scheduled to hear House Bills 1122 and 1387, but it does not appear that anti-gun Attorney General Bob Ferguson’s proposal to ban so-called “assault weapons” – House Bill 1134 – is on the hearing agenda. The hearing is scheduled to begin at 1:30, but the Alliance for Gun Responsibility is telling its supporters to make a day of it, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The opposition will be there by 10am crowding the hallways and standing in line.

If you're going you need to be in the hearing building, find out where the hearing room is and be in line BEFORE 10am or AGR will crowd you all out of the hearing room. Remember what I said about alerting the building staff to rude gun control people who may try to cut later on too, make sure they are watching and bring lots of SD card space an extra power sources for your video recording. This could turn ugly.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not going to be able to make breakfast after all. I'm balls deep in a laminate flooring install and thought I'd be done by now. I'll try my best to make the hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:bump2:

Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot get there 3 hours in advance. However it sounds like people should skip or quickly finish breakfast and get down there and get inside.

I didn't know that it was going to be jam packed so it's probably pointless for me to show up at 1pm if I can't get parking or get in??

Can someone update on the parking and getting in status? I don't want to drive an hour for no purpose.

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next