Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Gravel pit shooting site safety 
FFL / Dealer

So is there any level of firearms safety enforced at these gravel pit sites or is it every man for themselves, watch your six and stay away from the wanna be security contractor/tackleberry types, kitted out and doing combat rolls or zombie apocalypse training Lol And if so, could someone please tell me the best sites to go shoot at.

Thanks,

Be safe.

"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
- Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:33 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You pretty much hit it when you said "every man for himself".

Those that go to Waguns shoots do a good job of playing safe. Regardless, it only takes one to really f*** up your day. When I used to go to pits to shoot it was getting pretty stupid. At one pit there's be a dozen people shooting one direction when some new arrivals would walk in and start shooting across the regular line of fire. The last bunch spoke only Russian.

I now shoot at a club range for a couple reasons. One, the chance of getting shot is much lower. Second, I can shoot 300 yards without having to drive for a couple hours into the woods on this or the other side of the mountains. Only exception would be to join this group again at a "Pit Shoot".

Sadly, that's not in my immediate future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

GOTAGLOCK wrote:
So is there any level of firearms safety enforced at these gravel pit sites or is it every man for themselves, watch your six and stay away from the wanna be security contractor/tackleberry types, kitted out and doing combat rolls or zombie apocalypse training.

It all depends who is there that day!

I do shoot at "pits" once in a while, but I'm always very, very watchful and sometimes very nervous. You do get a fair number of people who are very casual about things like muzzle control; for example, they'll shoot until the gun is empty, then swing the gun around and walk it back to the car . . . muzzle-sweeping others along the way. It happens. It's definitely NOT like being at a controlled range.

GOTAGLOCK wrote:
could someone please tell me the best sites to go shoot at.

Come join us next Saturday at Greenwater; you'll get to meet a few folks, and see some of the popular shooting spots:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=73637

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
GOTAGLOCK wrote:
So is there any level of firearms safety enforced at these gravel pit sites or is it every man for themselves, watch your six and stay away from the wanna be security contractor/tackleberry types, kitted out and doing combat rolls or zombie apocalypse training.

It all depends who is there that day!

I do shoot at "pits" once in a while, but I'm always very, very watchful and sometimes very nervous. You do get a fair number of people who are very casual about things like muzzle control; for example, they'll shoot until the gun is empty, then swing the gun around and walk it back to the car . . . muzzle-sweeping others along the way. It happens. It's definitely NOT like being at a controlled range.

GOTAGLOCK wrote:
could someone please tell me the best sites to go shoot at.

Come join us next Saturday at Greenwater; you'll get to meet a few folks, and see some of the popular shooting spots:
http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=73637

I don't wish to stir up anything, but a lot of us got muzzle swept by a couple of people at the North End shoot a couple of weeks ago, and it was exactly like the example Steve cited. Empty the magazine, spin around with the gun leveled to go back and reload. So even at our own shoots, you still have to be vigilant. One of the people doing the sweeping was very new to the sport and can be forgiven, and I saw the person they were with correcting their behavior. The other is a long time member here who you would expect to know basic muzzle discipline, but clearly didn't, or didn't bother to. I found other places to be when they were up on the line.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't go on a weekend, if you value your life. Weekday mornings are the time to go. You will probably have the pit to yourself.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Don't go on a weekend, if you value your life. Weekday mornings are the time to go. You will probably have the pit to yourself.

Truth right there. I live under one of the shooting pits and I only go up on weekdays unless there is a group shoot. on the weekend if it is nice I can sit on my back deck and tell you how busy it is up there and the more I hear the more I stay away.

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot at pits all the time. More so than at ranges but I've learned to go very early. At the shooting spot 6am out by 10am. Unless it's a group shoot. Come on down Saturday the 8th and shoot with us.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=73637

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:57 pm
FFL / Dealer

Thank you all for the replies...
Your answers were pretty much what I expected :wink05: I may check out a few organized shoots but otherwise I am thinking I will just keep giving my $ to the local ranges. Thanks again.

"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
- Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you coming on Saturday? :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:55 pm

I have been able to find "pits" that are not well known; Im able to have the pit to myself. If someone else is there I find another location.
The last time I went to what I will call a public, popular pit some others arrived and one of them was my neighbor. He asked if I minded if they set up and shot and I told him as long as everyone is safe no problem. I even moved my car to allow more room. All went well for a while then one in their party thought it would be good idea to shoot a assault rifle from their car which placed me between their shooting position and the target. They didn't get it and kept of firing. :runforthehills: I could feel the percussion in the air and I grabbed my stuff and left. If I was a younger man there would have been a real problem.

I hate to admit it but we need strong gun control, we cant just let any moron who hasn't committed a felony get their hands on weapons legally.
Things have changed so much in my life time. I never had problems with people being so completely stupid when I was a younger man.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect stupid and irresponsible people have always existed and probably in similar ratios throughout the last few decades. Deciding there are more or a given generation is more flawed than your own ever was is a consistent thing. Remember your generation / age group was once the most irresponsible one ever seen, proof that things are getting worse and the reason we need tougher laws.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

strider43 wrote:
I have been able to find "pits" that are not well known; Im able to have the pit to myself. If someone else is there I find another location.
The last time I went to what I will call a public, popular pit some others arrived and one of them was my neighbor. He asked if I minded if they set up and shot and I told him as long as everyone is safe no problem. I even moved my car to allow more room. All went well for a while then one in their party thought it would be good idea to shoot a assault rifle from their car which placed me between their shooting position and the target. They didn't get it and kept of firing. :runforthehills: I could feel the percussion in the air and I grabbed my stuff and left. If I was a younger man there would have been a real problem.

I hate to admit it but we need strong gun control, we cant just let any moron who hasn't committed a felony get their hands on weapons legally.
Things have changed so much in my life time. I never had problems with people being so completely stupid when I was a younger man.

That is a big issue everywhere as far as having a agreed upon firing line. When shooting with people you don't know; someone has to ask where is the firing line is. If one has not been established then it needs to be discussed and anyone who shows up later needs to be told where it's at or ask. Better would be to carry some bright colored rope and lay it down to clear up any confusion. Communication is VERY important out there but most don't to speak up and things like this happen.

We had a guy the other day get hit by a flake of lead that cut his hand from my group shooting steel targets. Everyone else in his group was shooting in line with us but every time he went to shoot he stepped 4 feet or more closer + extended his arms while shooting which almost put him inline with our target. We didn't see this because his group was 10-15 so yards to our right and everyone else was ok. After the fact i watched him and saw why this happened. Now i could blame him since we were there before him or blame us since we didn't inform him. Either way this was totally avoidable and next time i'll remember to bring the rope and communicate even if it looks like everything is ok beforehand.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:23 am

kf7mjf wrote:
I suspect stupid and irresponsible people have always existed and probably in similar ratios throughout the last few decades. Deciding there are more or a given generation is more flawed than your own ever was is a consistent thing. Remember your generation / age group was once the most irresponsible one ever seen, proof that things are getting worse and the reason we need tougher laws.

Um, no we didn't do the stupid thing people are now........Sorry

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]