Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 So close, I could almost smell the powder 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well guys, I didn't make it :crybaby:

I was actually there, around 11am, just over a mile away from the range. I wasn't expecting snow when I left West Seattle and it was 40 degrees here. But when I got there, it was snowing hard and I spun out three times between the highway and Bordeaux road, once into oncoming traffic (seriously close to getting t-boned). If it was that bad going in, I knew it would be worse coming out, so I decided to cut my losses and limp home. Had I pushed on and stayed for the shoot, I would have been worried about getting home the entire time instead of enjoying myself.

Although my car is AWD, I'm running 245mm summer sport tires. They have absolutely NO grip in the snow, not even a little. I could go slowly, but I couldn't turn or stop. :facepalm2:

In any case, I'm really bummed out, as I had food, guns (and ammo!), and lots of free time to meet you all. Hopefully next time, and sooner rather than later.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:31 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The snow was a surprise to all of us. It's still snowing too! All in all about 30 people here. Lots of food and lots of bangs.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, tell everyone "Hey!" from me. I expect lots of pictures :)

I just ordered some winter tires, too little too late for today, though.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:51 pm

Looks like from S Olympia and southward is getting the snow. From N Olympia onward it is clear. I'm thinking I might drive up North and stay at my buddies overnight, so I don't get stuck here and miss work..and payday! Be safe everyone, glad there was a decent turnout at the range..

The same Government that considers the Founding Fathers 'Terrorists, is the same Government the Founding Fathers warned us against…

MEMBER; NRA, SAF, GOA, Lewis County Oath Keepers,

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i was wondering whose snowy skid marks those were as i was making my way back to the main road to i-5. they appeared relatively fresh. it's snowing here in vancouver. although it's nowhere near as much as it was from la center and on.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was a couple of miles out from the Range at 11am and spun out a couple of times in my 2WD F150 truck. I was seriously thinking of turning back because it was snowing hard and I thought it could only get worse. My stuborness made me stick it out and I'm glad I did. The place was packed with WaGun members and despite the snow and cold we all had a great time. Luckily by the time I left, the snow subsided and the roads were already starting to melt.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

LAAAAAAAME! Next time Metal, next time

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw all those snow skid trails on the off ramp coming off the freeway, I'm wondering should I keep going? I pulled off the road to lock my hubs as the truck's rear end was coming loose. I don't like that. Once locked up, I had more traction. Going up that little hill there, I "met" a dualie going sideways in the other direction. Almost felt my truck was gonna buy the farm, due to someone's hotdoging.

Once I get to the clubhouse, I'm wondering where's everybody? another person shows up, and we were standing around looking stupid........ At least I was. Finally noticed the WAGUNS banner, and faintly heard the gunfire.

Once there much fun was had.

On leaving, the snow had stopped and going home was cake.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys call that, snow ???

Yeesh.

Pussies.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:14 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

30 of us manned up. When I got there at 9:30, there were just a few flakes falling, nothing sticking. As soon as Damon showed up his cold heart made mother nature cry.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
30 of us manned up. When I got there at 9:30, there were just a few flakes falling, nothing sticking. As soon as Damon showed up his cold heart made mother nature cry.

Hey now! I tried to man up! But when I spun out into oncoming traffic, I immediately saw the aftermath of a head-on collision (both health, property damage, and lawsuit-wise) flash before my eyes. I've been there, don't want any more.

For the record, I'll have real snow tires by next week. So, bring it on, Mother Nature!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:07 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Massivedesign wrote:

hahaha. :mulletslayer: :rockout:

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

metal wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

Hey now! I tried to man up! But when I spun out into oncoming traffic, I immediately saw the aftermath of a head-on collision (both health, property damage, and lawsuit-wise) flash before my eyes. I've been there, don't want any more.

For the record, I'll have real snow tires by next week. So, bring it on, Mother Nature!

Tires make a lot more difference in the snow and ice, than any other factor.

Get some really good studded snow tires on a 2wd, and you'll be doing better than all-seasons on a 4wd.

I started last winter on all-seasons. Couldn't stop worth crap.

I have better tires, this time.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
metal wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
Tires make a lot more difference in the snow and ice, than any other factor.

Get some really good studded snow tires on a 2wd, and you'll be doing better than all-seasons on a 4wd.

I started last winter on all-seasons. Couldn't stop worth crap.

I have better tires, this time.

Oh, I can't agree more. See, I had a set of 4 winter tires for my old car (still do, trying to sell them!), they were awesome. I then had summer tires for the non-snowy months. But I bought a new car two months ago and haven't gotten around to buying winter shoes for it. Hence my trouble yesterday. It's an AWD car, but sport tires are NOT meant for snowy conditions. It was terrible. I have full fledged winter tires on their way from Tire Rack as we speak. Winter tires + AWD = oh yeah!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The sad part metal is that you were literally 2 miles away. Next time we need to make sure we have a phone tree happening. We could have picked you and your gear up and you could have shot!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next