Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 2014 SHOT Show, Jan 15th & 16th 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, I'm finally getting caught up on the remainder of my photos from SHOT Show . . . .

Check out this .416 Hushpuppy round . . . isn't that a weird-looking sucker?! I didn't get the details of the round, but there's a writeup here by WAGunRights: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/01/17/am-tac-precision-announces-416-hushpuppy/

Next up are two CZ race guns. These were both beautiful pistols with great triggers, blah blah blah . . . but what I found interesting were the red dot sights. The first pistol has a conventional mount, which puts the dot up quite high on the pistol; this requires some practice, because the dot is so much higher than traditional iron sights.

The second pistol has a side-mounted sight, held at an angle. This puts the dot just above the top of the slide, in a location that will be much more intuitive in my opinion.

In the Sig booth they were showing off the MPX-K submachine gun . . . cool enough, but not something that we'll be owning anytime soon. :frust:

They also had full-size and compact versions of the P320 striker-fired pistol. Striker-fired is a big deal for Sig, they really like their hammers. The P320 felt really good in the hand, and the trigger was decent.

On the training front, Smart Firearms was showing off a pretty interesting "yellow gun." This gun does a couple of interesting things:
1) Sounds a buzzer if you let your finger loiter inside the trigger guard, if you're not firing.
2) Makes a firing sound (not that loud) when you pull the trigger.
This seems like it would be a good tool to teach folks to keep their fingers indexed alongside the frame when not actively firing.

These next few are the Bersa pistols . . . for DocNugent. :bigsmile:

We spent some time at the Bore-tips table talking about their two products: A foam tip that you use in place of a jag and patch, and a foam tip on a stick that you use in place of a Q-tip. They gave us some samples to take home . . . I used the .30-cal foam tip to clean a Mosin yesterday, and I'm still undecided. It sure was convenient, but the downside is that I was running the same dirty tip through the bore, and especially when cleaning for corrosive ammo it made me a little nervous.

Here's Dan checking out Caracal's .308 rifle. Don't be fooled by the hottie in the background . . . she was no booth babe, she knew her stuff. thumbsup

Caracal also had a nice 9mm carbine on display. I really liked this gun except for a couple of things:
1) $600 price tag. Bring it to me at $400 and we'll talk . . . .
2) The horrendous grip safety. Even when depressed, it still stuck out of the grip by . . . I dunno, maybe half an inch? It was VERY uncomfortable!

We spent some quality time with the DoubleTap pistols. These carry two rounds in the barrels, plus two spares on a speed strip inside the grip. All in all . . . an interesting gun, but not anything I'd ever be interested in buying. Here's a cool cutaway:

Fostech Arms was displaying their new Origin-12 semi-auto shotgun. I can't remember all of the details, but I do know that it was badass. :thumbsup2:

There may be a few of these stickers that made their way home with me . . . .

One thing that we saw at several booths that really intrigued me were adapters to connect your smartphone to a spotting scope. Some of these are on the market now, including the Meopta shown below. Unfortunately they tend to run about $60, which I think is highway robbery . . . .

Slide Fire had a big booth, which included, from top to bottom:
1) AR-15 with belt-bed conversion :mulletslayer:
2) Ruger 10/22
3) AK-47

And I don't know anything about this rifle except that I'm pretty sure I can't afford it:

Remember I said that Dan was shopping for a new vehicle . . . ? Well, here's another candidate:

:045:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice, thanks for sharing! Looks like some good kit.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the plug Steve!

That 416 Hushpuppy is an interesting round... Right now their ballistics are pretty rough. They are in the process of getting some rounds in production. But they claim a dead zero hold to 200 on a man sized target, and the ballistics of a 12ga. The case is a 50AE necked down to 416, then they have a 450gr slug for subsonic and 360gr for hypersonic. Pretty limited in the uses for it, but if their ballistic numbers are right, it should be really effective for those limited uses... They are going to send me an upper and some ammo when they get some built up some up so I can mess with it for a review.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk Pro

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

WAGunRights wrote:
They are going to send me an upper and some ammo when they get some built up some up so I can mess with it for a review.

:thumbsup2:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]