Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Are you prepared? Just say no. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

skey wrote:
Pablo wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
How do I store water:
water bricks NOT kept in the garage or around household chemicals which CAN leach right through the air and through the plastic containers (this is not a myth). Stored water is treated with Berkey Biofilm drops for 5 year rotation. ( I used to do bleach and 6 month rotation, but that is a huge chore)

several 55 gal food-grade drums, which I don't fill, are on hand along with chemicals for sterilization. Rain catchment barrel too.

several filters for mobility and back-up

iodine and another non-iodine tablet packet(s); again for mobility.

knowledge of location of several natural ground water sources nearby.

Thank you!!! :yes:

I do things a little differently. I have 4 50 gal olive drums which are very crush resistant. In each, I have 12 gals of Arrow Head 1 gallon bottles and 24 man days worth of rations (2200 Cal per day), and other items of need. I can immediately open the drum, remove the contents, and have a container for water collection.

Since most of threats around here are earthquake related or would induce earthquakes. Being able to stage several crush proof stashes (week worth per drum depending on family size) in several areas to increase the chances of survival for each one I thought might be a good idea. Also since it is stocked based on 2200 cal per day, you can always cut back to 1200 and stretch it out longer as required, and ration the water a little tighter as required.

Your water now has two vapor barrier levels. Also in each kit is a large tarp for water collection and a Life Straw Family filter and siphon hose. I replace the water yearly, but it is only 6 bucks a case at the dollar store, and it is a known standard without further preservation. Not much of a hassle really.

I also have 4 15 Gal drums with GP water I can use for whatever and run through the Life Straw if it is required for drinking. Those are Food grade heavy polyethylene plastic with plumbing fit Bongs, so vapors are are less of a factor with regard to seals (smaller area).

It might not be right, but that is how I did it.

uh... :bonghit: "Bungs"?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my drums are those blue barrels depicted on your link Skey. Two bungs in the top. Got them from a food product distributor in Woodinville IIRC. They had stacks of them and had to get rid of them. I can't even remember if we were charged or them...I'd have to ask fishranger (who no longer posts here or on TOS for some reason) where we got them.

Had to clean them out, which was the biggest hassle... Be aware of what was stored in them previously and choose wisely as that smell will linger despite your cleaning efforts.

THese barrels don't have removable tops so they are 55 gallons of stored empty space. I really like your idea of using them for storage and might just have to get some with the removable tops.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:31 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

jukk0u wrote:
skey wrote:
Pablo wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
How do I store water:
water bricks NOT kept in the garage or around household chemicals which CAN leach right through the air and through the plastic containers (this is not a myth). Stored water is treated with Berkey Biofilm drops for 5 year rotation. ( I used to do bleach and 6 month rotation, but that is a huge chore)

several 55 gal food-grade drums, which I don't fill, are on hand along with chemicals for sterilization. Rain catchment barrel too.

several filters for mobility and back-up

iodine and another non-iodine tablet packet(s); again for mobility.

knowledge of location of several natural ground water sources nearby.

Thank you!!! :yes:

I do things a little differently. I have 4 50 gal olive drums which are very crush resistant. In each, I have 12 gals of Arrow Head 1 gallon bottles and 24 man days worth of rations (2200 Cal per day), and other items of need. I can immediately open the drum, remove the contents, and have a container for water collection.

Since most of threats around here are earthquake related or would induce earthquakes. Being able to stage several crush proof stashes (week worth per drum depending on family size) in several areas to increase the chances of survival for each one I thought might be a good idea. Also since it is stocked based on 2200 cal per day, you can always cut back to 1200 and stretch it out longer as required, and ration the water a little tighter as required.

Your water now has two vapor barrier levels. Also in each kit is a large tarp for water collection and a Life Straw Family filter and siphon hose. I replace the water yearly, but it is only 6 bucks a case at the dollar store, and it is a known standard without further preservation. Not much of a hassle really.

I also have 4 15 Gal drums with GP water I can use for whatever and run through the Life Straw if it is required for drinking. Those are Food grade heavy polyethylene plastic with plumbing fit Bongs, so vapors are are less of a factor with regard to seals (smaller area).

It might not be right, but that is how I did it.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I caught that too. Bongs are technically a filtration device though. Maybe he really meant bongs?

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Water is my biggest concern. I've been without electricity for a week a couple of winters ago, and did fine. Last summer my water main broke, and 10 days without running water was MISERABLE! I hand plenty of drinking water, but you don't realize how nice to have running tap water on a regular basis is till you lose it.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
jukk0u wrote:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I caught that too. Bongs are technically a filtration device though. Maybe he really meant bongs?

That's nothing, you should try shopping online for a "Bong" wrench to take them off with. :bigsmile:

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

8.1 EQ in Mexico last night.

http://komonews.com/news/nation-world/d ... earthquake

FJB

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good podcast/forum for survival topics: https://thesurvivalpodcast.com.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Water is definitely less of a concern now. 50gal water tank + 50gal cistern, well that runs as long as I have gas. Little Spokane River is fairly close by. It would have been nice to have running water on the property, but no such luck.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:57 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I live walking distance from a small lake.
Be awhile for the neighbors could drink it dry.
Think we'll be OK.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
I live walking distance from a small lake.
Be awhile for the neighbors could drink it dry.
Think we'll be OK.

The only problem with that is going to come later. You just drank all the pesticides and herbicides that all the neighbors with the golf course lawns have been dumping on their lawns for years. It would be interesting to see what lab tests would show for the local small bodies of water around here. Those are not on my list.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

get a hot tub, I have 550 gallons of chlorinated water....great for relaxing and when SHTF, you got some back up water for what ever (once properly filtered of course)

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
get a hot tub, I have 550 gallons of chlorinated water....great for relaxing and when SHTF, you got some back up water for what ever (once properly filtered of course)

Yeah, nothing like a tall glass of water that's seen a bunch of asscracks and toenails. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
TINCANBANDIT wrote:

Yeah, nothing like a tall glass of water that's seen a bunch of asscracks and toenails. :ROFLMAO:

Depending on the filter set, not a problem. If you have ever been in a real disaster zone, everything tastes like ass and toenails anyway. I promise the smell will equal the taste. :bigsmile: I will take the ass and toenails ( depending on the ass of course :bigsmile: ) over what washes into the local small bodies of water. Especially if I have kids.

Last edited by skey on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Denatured semen!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lifestraws for the win

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next