Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Communications plan 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw another post today that made me think about communications with family in an emergency. And how I don't have a comms plan.

Our family is in the area but a little bit scattered. Some out toward Fall City, some in Bothell, and some very close to us in Redmond. None of us have close friends outside of the area and the last remaining family member not in WA is moving up here soon.

What's a good way of staying in touch when the power is out and stuff is disrupted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a fan of HAM radio. I have my basic (Technician) level and am working to get my mid-level (General) so I can use high frequency bands. The perk of that is you don't have to be line of sight with another unit or a repeater. Some of the bigger repeaters have back-up power, but I'd rather not rely on that.
The downside to HAM radio is you are required by law to be licenced (It's not super hard). So, convincing family members to do it could be tough.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also during an actual emergency you can use a HAM radio without a license, but a HAM radio is like a handheld GPS unit. Totally useless unless you know how to work it.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So many variables and cost... to figure.

The basic is getting a point of contact long distance. It doesn't have to be close family. Just someone that will help in an emergency. It's cheap, easy and not too hard to coordinate.

So living in Washington State... if you have family or friends on the middle or East Coast would be great. That person can be the contact (middle person) to relay all family needs if a local disaster happens (knocking down local telephone).

Texting has been brought up but again it's reliant on power, relay stations and local phone company (internet).

Ham (limited moderate distance depending on power source)

CB but it's limited distance

Satellite phone... costly but may be a good emergency option if you are wiling to pay for the Monthly service. I have heard they have special packages for low use but you'll need to find out for sure.

How much money and resources is something to figure out. Distance and how many folks you want to stay in touch with is a key factor because it's all equipment heavy/cost.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys. HAM, texting, and a person living outside of the area are options that I thought of too. But other than texting (assuming cell towers are working), I don't think any of those will work for me.

I've got no time to spend learning HAM and my extended family isn't going to have any interest learning it (hell, I can't even get them to buy a little dehydrated food or water). And I don't really have any friends or family outside of the area, except my brother in law who is moving here next year.

Maybe our best bet is simply rendezvous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes the lowest and easiest "plan" is the best.

We are so ever reliant on power and technology that give a guy 2 sticks to make a fire and he will freeze to death or die of exhaustion.

A plan to meet may be your simple low tech answer.

Please make an alternate location if you go this route. Meaning have a primary and secondary in the plan.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A meetup plan that doesn't rely on additional communications is probably the most reliable and simplest to implement. A backup plan that assumes you will not be able to rendezvous is probably also worthwhile. If everyone is ready to make do on their own, their chances of getting through the situation might be better than if they're planning to be reliant on someone else.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:56 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

beckdw wrote:
I'm a fan of HAM radio. I have my basic (Technician) level and am working to get my mid-level (General) so I can use high frequency bands. The perk of that is you don't have to be line of sight with another unit or a repeater. Some of the bigger repeaters have back-up power, but I'd rather not rely on that.
The downside to HAM radio is you are required by law to be licenced (It's not super hard). So, convincing family members to do it could be tough.

You don't have to be line of sight or use a repeater for the frequencies that you're currently allowed to use. I know from personal experience that you can communicate on 5w from Lakeridge to the UW campus using ladder line j pole inside a house without a repeater.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have any family local so I just plan on calling golddigger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Midland-GXT1050 ... K:US:LISTG

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^that's funny! I almost laughingly suggested smoke signals, but I'm guessing that most folks will be wearing or wishing the were wearing respirators to protect from the smoke of the conflagration that will almost certainly result from a huge earthquake. Your signals will be lost in the general haze.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
beckdw wrote:

You don't have to be line of sight or use a repeater for the frequencies that you're currently allowed to use. I know from personal experience that you can communicate on 5w from Lakeridge to the UW campus using ladder line j pole inside a house without a repeater.
One day when I grow up I want to know (and be able to do) half the shit you do. I've heard of a jpole...barely.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:10 pm

beckdw wrote:
dreadi wrote:
beckdw wrote:

One day when I grow up I want to know (and be able to do) half the shit you do. I've heard of a jpole...barely.

http://www.2wayelectronix.com/Dual-band ... UAL-16.htm

You can hit the PSRG repeater in Queen Anne with this, a trekking pole and 5w from ~5,500' at Mt. Rainier

You can do it to! I get inspired. One day I want someone like Dave Chappelle telling a story like this about me. Skip to 5:30 if it pleases you to get to the point

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter