Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 WA not allowed to have nuclear attack evacuation plan 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to this article on KING -- http://www.king5.com/news/local/state-law-prevents-nuclear-attack-evacuation-plan/434525985 -- and a reading of the RCW referenced in the story -- http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=38.52.030 -- it seems WA's emergency preparedness efforts can't include evacuation planning in anticipation of a nuclear attack.

I'm not worried about NK actually getting their shit together and bombing us, and most of the people visiting this forum have already put their own plans and preparations in place in case they need to evacuate (for any reason). I just thought it was interesting that this prohibition was spelled out in the RCWs. Hopefully those involved in statewide emergency management planning have separated out preparations for an accident (or sabotage, or...) at Hanford from the law's language and have still put in the time to address those. If you live near Richland or visit that area regularly, it might be something to consider or inquire about.

Just a thought.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:31 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I've seen Eastbound I-90 turn into a parking lot past North Bend Friday afternoon before Memorial Day.
Where are you going to go? Just too many people in King/Sno Co to go anywhere.
And they disbanded all of the CD fallout shelters in the early 70's.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:09 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Good. Do we really need a nuclear attack plan? Just an excuse to spend out tax $ to build bunkers for select few in the government.

I use to think having my Anthrax shots and boosters was a good thing. If we ever got attacked I'm not sure I would feel good about seeing my family die in front of me.

So if we EVER had a nuclear attack what are you going to do? Outrun the cloud? You will either be dead, close to it or secluded in a deep bunker with a bunch of other government assholes for who knows how long.

They need to stop wasting our time with this type of conspiracy theory. Statistically you are far more likely to be impacted by an earthquake than a NA.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
I've seen Eastbound I-90 turn into a parking lot past North Bend Friday afternoon before Memorial Day.

shiiiiit... that's an almost daily occurrence during rush hour going through Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue :wink05:

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:16 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

BadKarma wrote:
Good. Do we really need a nuclear attack plan? Just an excuse to spend our tax $ to build bunkers for select few in the government.<snip>.

That was not what I was thinking at all, and it makes a TON of good sense.
I agree.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/classic/

Use above it will show you the destruction size of different devices. If someone hit DT seattle with a 16KT (same size as hiroshima). It would destroy the city but not much outside it. Though it doesn't take into account for fallout effects.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DONOTBUGME wrote:
http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/classic/

Use above it will show you the destruction size of different devices. If someone hit DT seattle with a 16KT (same size as hiroshima). It would destroy the city but not much outside it. Though it doesn't take into account for fallout effects.
Nuke map 2 also has the ability to select aerial or ground burst.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
Good. Do we really need a nuclear attack plan? Just an excuse to spend out tax $ to build bunkers for select few in the government.

I use to think having my Anthrax shots and boosters was a good thing. If we ever got attacked I'm not sure I would feel good about seeing my family die in front of me.

So if we EVER had a nuclear attack what are you going to do? Outrun the cloud? You will either be dead, close to it or secluded in a deep bunker with a bunch of other government assholes for who knows how long.

They need to stop wasting our time with this type of conspiracy theory. Statistically you are far more likely to be impacted by an earthquake than a NA.

I don't know what intentions the author of the article may have had, but nuclear attack wasn't on my radar in posting this. However, I will reiterate that I hope those in charge of our clusterfuck .gov haven't read the law's language too broadly and skipped over making reasonable plans to safeguard nearby residents if there's ever a large-scale problem at Hanford. That was my point. I don't live in that area so I have no idea what the county DEM has on deck. If I did live there, I'd be making some inquiries.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
BadKarma wrote:

I don't know what intentions the author of the article may have had, but nuclear attack wasn't on my radar in posting this. However, I will reiterate that I hope those in charge of our clusterfuck .gov haven't read the law's language too broadly and skipped over making reasonable plans to safeguard nearby residents if there's ever a large-scale problem at Hanford. That was my point. I don't live in that area so I have no idea what the county DEM has on deck. If I did live there, I'd be making some inquiries.

Hanford is a federal problem, its all good, nothing to worry about!

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because evacuation for nuclear attack *in time* is a no op. Basic triage dictates no plan. It's like your IFAK, there are gsw wherein nothing you can do with the kit you have will save the victim. Plan/train for those where you *might* make a difference.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never assumed that I would have time to evacuate prior to a nuclear event.

Step 1: Survive blast
Step 2: Assess situation and proceed.
Step 3: Survive fallout

Surviving the blast is pretty much solely dependent on where the blast takes place and your proximity to the event. Here in Kirkland, if the bomb (theoretically placed in DT Seattle) is a small one, I should be ok unless I get blinded by the flash.

Then the fun starts. As I understand it, a lot of the fallout danger depends on wind currents. I've also read that the biggest radiation danger is in the first 24-48 hours as radiation from the blast and mushroom cloud comes back to earth. Hiroshima survivors were pelted with a highly radioactive black rain after the destruction of their city. So it would seem to me to be a Bug-In situation, at least at first.

Once the radioactive dust settles, then maybe start thinking about evac.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While it would be horrific, the biggest current threat seems to be NK, and the delivery method likely a cargo ship parked in Seattle.

A 2013 tested NK nuke would be limited to about 3 miles diameter. That's a blast radius of a mile, and radiation out to 3 miles. Would flatten the immediate area for sure, and be horrible. Rest of the state would flee in all directions.

And then maybe liberals would wake up to some global threats...

But these discussions remind me why I don't live in and generally avoid target rich big cities.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the 70's I went through FEMA training on Radiation Monitoring and "Shelter Management" should we actually be attacked by nukes.

One thing a lot of people don't understand is that the radiation and "fall out" from a nuke attack is far different than that from a power plant accident like Chernobyl or Fukishima.

With a "bomb" pretty much all nuclear material is consumed by the explosion and the resultant radioactive particles decay rather rapidly. Also, those particles are rather rapidly cleansed from the surrounding ares by mother nature. Rain will wash them into normal drainage and it will accumulate in low areas much like silt from a river.

One does not need to shelter in an underground bunker. Most substantial buildings will prevent exposure to any residual radiation, provided that they aren't leveled by the blast. Regular monitoring was planned with the magic number of days before venturing outside for somewhat normal work, etc, would be in the 14 day mark.

The worst case scenario is for a nuke to NOT properly detonate, with the initiating charge merely spreading radioactive material all over the place and leaving the area contaminated for possibly a century or two. The classic "Dirty Bomb".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:

I agree, but the idea that not planning is going to slow the more likely (though still remote, rogue) type of attack that may happen......
hmmm. Sounds like the original intent and is rather laughable.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What everybody is forgetting about is the fact that we live where there is 1 Nuclear Sub Base, 1 Major military shipyard, 1 Ammunition Depot, THE only Torpedo R&D facility in the US, uh....It'll all be over before we even get to Roof to enjoy The Glow with my 6-pack.......

Thu May 25, 2017 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next