Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Food Supply Lessons of the Klondike Gold Rush 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
I'm surprised pemmican isn't on this list. Or did I miss it? Seems like that was a staple for a long time and performed pretty well both in nutritional value and staying power.

It isn't on the list.It was out of fashion by then, and with canned goods and rapid transportation, it wasn't as important a staple anymore. Additionally, it wasn't seen as commercially viable... https://books.google.com/books?id=aMZqD ... sh&f=false

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Col_Temp wrote:
Or better Yoder's for the canned bacon,
Beprepared, Mountain house, Provident freeze dried.

Would have weighed a lot less. Thanks for taking the time to calculate it out. Most people never quite figure out just how much it costs to be even a little bit prepared.

Yoder's is $$$ shit. In 1890's speak, bacon was more like a flavorful salt pork. As for the freeze dried, I'm not trying to provide modern substitutes for the list. And really, the main bulk of the food is beans, flour, rice, cornmeal, and bacon. Putting it in cans just makes it heavier.

And easier to make your weight requirements without the cost of actual food... :wink05:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It wasn't so much weight but what you had. The Mounties inspected what you were transporting. It just happened to roughly come out to about a ton of goods, which entered popular lexicon.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Col_Temp wrote:
Or better Yoder's for the canned bacon,
Beprepared, Mountain house, Provident freeze dried.

Would have weighed a lot less. Thanks for taking the time to calculate it out. Most people never quite figure out just how much it costs to be even a little bit prepared.

Yoder's is $$$ shit. In 1890's speak, bacon was more like a flavorful salt pork. As for the freeze dried, I'm not trying to provide modern substitutes for the list. And really, the main bulk of the food is beans, flour, rice, cornmeal, and bacon. Putting it in cans just makes it heavier.

:thumbsup2:
The nice things is we do have modern substitutes.
Actually the bacon is pretty good. I like to cook it a bit further. As to their other meats would generally agree though. Too much fat, tendons, grissle, and other stuff.
BTW there are some other brands of canned meat that are pretty good and tend to be a lot lower on the fat and other garbage factor. Also have a pretty good source. The canned meat is nice as you don't need to freeze it.

And yes I agree the bacon back then would have been the Salted Pork. Only way to make it last.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2