Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:17 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Beans? 

I've read that you can basically survive on rice and beans alone. I have my rice situation sorted out, but where can I buy 5+ gallon buckets of beans?

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not exactly true, but anyway Costco sells 25lb bags of pinto beans. If none there then try grocery outlets for 10lb bags for cheap.

If you want it already packed then the LDS Cannery in Kent sells #10 cans of sealed beans with a 30yr lifespan.

The not exactly true part is a reminder of vitamins and salt, but most of all... water. If you've ever made a dish from dry rice and dry pinto beans, you already know what I mean.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:39 pm

Blaze.45 wrote:
Not exactly true, but anyway Costco sells 25lb bags of pinto beans. If none there then try grocery outlets for 10lb bags for cheap.

If you want it already packed then the LDS Cannery in Kent sells #10 cans of sealed beans with a 30yr lifespan.

People are starting to panic buy at Costco right now.

Dumb question, will they try to preach to me If I go buy from them?

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rice & beans are considered a "perfect food" because when combined they bring all the essential nutrients together.

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival ... mbination/

I went to the Bellevue Cash & Carry at lunch today, completely, totally, out of beans, pasta, not sure about rice, water, bleach, etc. They told me that they'd set an all time sales record on Saturday. It was the first time I'd ever seen the shelves in a C&C bare (not all of them by a long shot, but more than I was expecting).

Normally, you'd be able to buy 25-50lb sacks of beans there, pallets of them. They did say they expect more stock in this week, but I don't know what the particulars were of the shipment.

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TacticalTuna wrote:
Dumb question, will they try to preach to me If I go buy from them?

In all my times there, I've engaged them in religious thought once and it's the only time they've ever come close to preaching. I get the vibe that LDS's stance is the more people who are prepared, the less they have to compete with if anything ever happens. More recently they stopped canning in most locations (big minus) and setup more of a business model, so it's money too.

delliottg wrote:
Rice & beans are considered a "perfect food" because when combined they bring all the essential nutrients together.

https://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival ... mbination/

I went to the Bellevue Cash & Carry at lunch today, completely, totally, out of beans, pasta, not sure about rice, water, bleach, etc. They told me that they'd set an all time sales record on Saturday. It was the first time I'd ever seen the shelves in a C&C bare (not all of them by a long shot, but more than I was expecting).

Normally, you'd be able to buy 25-50lb sacks of beans there, pallets of them. They did say they expect more stock in this week, but I don't know what the particulars were of the shipment.

Good call, cash and carry is in Kent too... down the road from LDS cannery.

Rice and Beans are low in certain vitamins and minerals, no one will get their daily value in Vitamin E etc from a survival ration of Rice and Beans.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Last edited by Blaze.45 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Across central america a lot of people have rice and beans as their main nutrients intake.

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Winco sells dry beans, and rice, by the pound in the bulk section.

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But why would you want to live on rice and beans? I don't eat rice and beans in the first place, why would I even want to even live eating that stuff? I have freeze-dried food that I actually like. I also use it on a regular basis.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cash and carry

Albert Einstein

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, this is going to make me look like a dummy but what is the reason for panic buying?
Serious question.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't Cash and Carry change its name?

Honeyville has bulk stuff, mail-order.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
But why would you want to live on rice and beans? I don't eat rice and beans in the first place, why would I even want to even live eating that stuff? I have freeze-dried food that I actually like. I also use it on a regular basis.

We had a Caribbean restaurant in my home town that made the best black beans and rice that I've ever had

I'm not a vegetarian but would regularly order a giant bowl of it for dinner. Some cornbread on the side and I was in heaven

No idea what made it so good, I've never tried to replicate it. I'm sure there are recipes on the interwebs that are close

Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Didn't Cash and Carry change its name?

Honeyville has bulk stuff, mail-order.

It’s now Smart Food Service.

I bought rice, lentils, kidney beans and rolled oats there Sunday in Tukwila. Had plenty in stock then, but that was right before the news hit.

Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty easy to get then in #10 cans so they are secured and protected.
I've got extras if you are looking for a few cans. Nice to have a variety as well. All pinto beans gets old real quick!

BTW the LDS stores are a good place to get some of what you are looking for. I have access to one nearby so let me know.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Ok, this is going to make me look like a dummy but what is the reason for panic buying?
Serious question.

it the illegals..... :wink05:

Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next