Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 What handgun do you guys reccomend? 

I am planning on buy myself a gun for Christmas present and I am curiouse which to get since I never owned a gun. I read this Glock 19 review and it seems like a good but I want a gun that is great for a beginner.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do you want to do with it? Carry for personal protection? Hunt? Plink and target shoot?

If I had to say a good first handgun, I'd get a Ruger MkIV, or a Smith and Wesson Victory .22, or some other name brand .22 semi auto. Then I'd start looking for a good centerfire pistol to suit my needs, which may mean a trip to the range and rent different models to try out.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:15 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Spig wrote:
I am planning on buy myself a gun for Christmas present and I am curiouse which to get since I never owned a gun. I read this Glock 19 review and it seems like a good but I want a gun that is great for a beginner.

A glock 19 is a great all around first handgun for a beginner. It is big enough to take to the range but small enough to carry. It has simple controls and is easy to disassemble and clean. It is extremely affordable and common, which makes aftermarket parts and holsters inexpensive and very available. Not to mention 9mm ammo is cheap and easy to shoot. Overall, it should be a great choice for you.

The only thing it lacks is a manual safety switch, but it might be good for you to learn to use a pistol without one. In my opinion it teaches you to be very careful with the pistol and maintain good trigger discipline. Personally, I think a glock 19 would be a great starting pistol for you.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have never shot a gun before, start with a revolver or rifle - lever, single shot or bolt action. Preferable .22LR, or even a .38Special revolver. Something you fully understand when every motion occurs and you can concentration on grip and trigger and not be all about the sights.

Sure you could start with a Glock 19, but even people who have been shooting for years don't like aspects of Glocks.

Join a range with rentals.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:29 am

Go to a range that allows you to rent different types of handguns and see what fits your hand best.

Double post

Last edited by waglocker on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:57 am

Go to a range that allows you to rent different types of handguns and see what fits your hand best. You mentioned the Glock 19, which is an excellent handgun. Very simple to use, very durable and reliable, and was recently adopted by the Navy Seals as a side arm. But if you don't like it you won't want to shoot it. Maybe a Glock 17 would fit you better, you'll have to go find out. Heck, you might turn out to be a Sig guy.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The perfect first gun...

There are lots of ways to go about it... as mentioned try a gun range and their rental guns to try out many different guns, in different calibers, sizes and shapes (different action types - revolvers, semi, single action, striker fired, etc, etc).

This does require you to take some of your money you had "budgeted" to buy the gun.
Try about $200 - rental, lane fee, target and ammo as you'll have to buy the range ammo).

When you get to a point you narrow your search... (e.g. Glock 19 or whatever)... a nice configuration may be getting a .22LR conversion. What this allows you to do is get used to the frame of the gun and instead of shooting that caliber - be it 9mm, 40 or 45 or whatever. You can swap out the upper slide for a .22LR

The .22LR is an easy shooting caliber (hard to find but good for practice and function). Using the same frame as the primary gun it allows you to get used to shooting a light caliber verses learning some bad habits on a larger caliber (e.g. flinching, anticipation, jerking the trigger).

Now since this is in the section for prepping...
A Glock is a very good choice - simple action, relatively cheap, easy to shoot and the magazines are interchangeable for that caliber.

9mm would be the best choice as it's easy and readily available, high capacity and source able in almost all countries and especially here in the US.

Good luck in finding that right one. After a while one realizes just one gun won't fit every need... so starting with one is good but remember later that more is better. :thumbsup2:

Just like a woman with lots of different shoes... a man and woman need lots of choices to "fit" the needs for that time, situation and even appearance (concealed).

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One gun to rule them all... :wink05:

Divided we fall.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:43 am
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

Spig

welcomewgo

Welcome and Greetings !!!!!
Good Luck on your first gun.

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even if you choose something, come to the next meet up. I have fired some guns that I forgot existed when the group gets together.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lol my perfect first gun was a h&k usp 45

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After you buy your first gun, buy a safe that is 3x larger,than you think you will ever need

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cannot go wrong with the 19, if glocks are your thing. Like any gun they all have a different feel so go and try out as many as you can to see if any particular pistol works for you

Glacier Gun Club has a whole display case full of test drivable pistols and rather cheap rental fee that covers as many pistols as you care to try out. Find a cool dude that will bring you in as a guest and BAM.....your off and runnin'

whatever you do at least try a few different brands and types out. I personally love the G19, but im not everybody

Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Even if you choose something, come to the next meet up. I have fired some guns that I forgot existed when the group gets together.

Yeah, this. There's a WaGuns shoot on 1/1 down past Tumwater a bit. You'd get a chance to shoot a ton of handguns if you're polite and willing to learn. Bring some ammo and food and we'll roll out the red carpet for sure!

Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:56 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

A double stacked 1911 in 45 ACP with ++P ammo.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next