Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Anyone feel safer now we know the State is Soooooo ready? 

So the State and most communities, especially Seattle, is totally, completely, absolutely, monumentally unprepared for a true emergency.

Is anyone surprised?

But let's spend $54 billion on useless light rail so some commuters can get downtown three minutes sooner.

I was keeping a week's worth of food and water....now gonna up that to a month's worth. And ten years worth of ammo.....assuming Hillary doesn't get it. (But hey, I discovered all my ammo was past is "use by" date, like some canned goods in the back of the pantry, so I threw it out. Sorry, it ain't here any more.)

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was no surprise. Preparedness is something I put on myself. I'm not going to rely on anything from the government to get me through a hard time.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No surprise at all. I have enough food for a few months. An major earthquake will cripple the region for months.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What the heck is this all about?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How exactly should the local and state governments prepare?

In the extreme examples e.g. 9.0 earthquake, meteor strike, nuclear war --- all the state preparedness won't amount to much since those responsible for administering and distributing aid/supplies/etc. simply won't show up or will already be dead. You're on your own.

I would up your supplies to a year's worth at a minimum. I'm not sure what ten years worth of ammo looks like...depends on how much you shoot, I guess.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is definitely true that you're on your own. I think 30 days is a good start on food. If you're still in the same place after 30 days I'd say you will have bigger problems and are better off mobile/bugging out, and then a year's worth of food is too much to move.

Don't get me started on ST3, what a waste.

But the funding is a joke. King County Council no longer has an emergency management committee. The emergency management dept has a tiny tiny budget.
The state budget isn't much better. We do have pretty reasonable EOCs (emergency ops centers). But the local cities it is even worse.

There was a thread on this before but it would be great to share bugout route plans that avoid bridges....

My problem is I'm selling my awesome bugout vehicle (Sportsmobile) in favor of (eventually, when I have a job) a full size RV, which really reduces the bugout routes. I still have a Jeep, but the cargo capacity is effectively zero, even with a trailer.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
What the heck is this all about?

The state announced we are officially screwed on disaster prep.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:

There was a thread on this before but it would be great to share bugout route plans that avoid bridges....

I don't think it is possible to avoid bridges....not going North to South anyway.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

I don't think it is possible to avoid bridges....not going North to South anyway.

I meant heading east.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plan A: Stay home and ride shit out
Plan B if my house/garage are destroyed: Take everything we can carry to my Kent Warehouse facility. 60k square feet can fit lots of people, vehicles, and supplies.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
Plan B if my house/garage are destroyed: Take everything we can carry to my Kent Warehouse facility. 60k square feet can fit lots of people, vehicles, and supplies.

In the lowlands? Good luck with that.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Expand the damn light rail. I have drive north and south on the 167 everyday for work. Prepare yourself and you family, why do you need to govt to do it for you.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
L_O_G wrote:

In the lowlands? Good luck with that.

Good luck making it East with the Million+ Seattle residents planning on "heading for the mountains". If you have a car, plan on running out of gas on a free way in traffic. Everyone can talk what the best case scenario for situation "x" is, but until' shit happens nobody really knows where the best places to go will be.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Here's the link to the .pdf report that was issued this week for Washington State Readiness. The good news is that it details exactly what must be done in order for the state to prepare for a disaster (They now suggest a week's worth of food and supplies.) It also details all of the things that are lacking, which is pretty much everything.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... 1-2016.pdf

The report details the expected Cholera epidemic that may begin as soon as 10 days after an event. It describes how 1st responders will be functionally unavailable. (Is your house on fire? Tough luck! Was a family member gravely injured? We'll say a prayer for you!) It also states that all utilities are "unsurvivable".

The state doesn't really have a full response plan. No Mass Care planning, no unified communications, no coordination for multiple agency responses. In fact, there's been very little training and most of the plan relies heavily on volunteer efforts. Most of us aren't planning on government help in the event of a major crisis but we're also not prepared for the totality of something like this. Recovery could take decades. And the long term death toll after the event could be significant.

Of interest, Seattle's Emergency Response center is just a few years old (beautiful building and facilities) and is built in downtown Seattle DIRECTLY ON THE FAULT LINE. This is the building where all communications are supposed to be centered from and it will be functionally unreachable IF it survives a quake.

All of us should be making our own plans, both for our families and our neighbors. It's pretty obvious that no one else will be there to provide assistance.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You better prep for more than a week. The snowstorm a few years ago that took out my electricity for a week had people fighting over oreos.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next