Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:14 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 What role does a 308 (or similar) play for you in SHTF? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not really sure what the analysis is. This topic is done to death online.

The .308 offers far superior firepower (range and power) over the 556; but it's more costly on the platform, ammo, and weight penalties.

Comparing a civilian's SHTF scenario is a poor analysis of a military combat infantry company/platoon/squad or whatever - they generally have numbers, training, and comms for backup and air support and medi-vac. Rarely unsupported for more than a few minutes. A variety of weapon systems, including explosives.

Who knows what your situation may be in a SHTF, but it could presumably be just you... surviving, with whatever you have, against unknown well armed forces.

Get one and train with it. What's the downside? You'll have a weapon, ammo, and a skill.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The price of the ammo isn't too bad. Also .308 is legal for hunting in WA, so it would be a very useful round.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
Saw a fair number of M14s (M1A essentially) downrange. Here's a few open source pics online. Some of these rifles are decades old and seen a LOT of use. Still work horses.

I still need to add one to my private collection

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sissyboy wrote:
What role does .30 cal. play in SHTF for me? Well it plays the role of "bug in" defender. Like Kim said it is heavy. No way am I thinking of packing it along with me if I am on the move. As much as I love my 7.62X39 I would even leave my AK's at home. The best defense on the move is being able to move and move fast. Keeping things light and compact is imperative.

Variety is the spice of life. Get a good mix and be ready for anything.

Is that fact that it is a "Bug In" Defender for you because of the weight of the .308 itself, or the particular rifle? What I mean is if you have a 7-8 pound rifle, does that rethink your decision, or is it simply (to you) a downside to the Size and Weight consideration of the amount of ammo you can carry of .308 vs. 5.56?

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
Sissyboy wrote:
What role does .30 cal. play in SHTF for me? Well it plays the role of "bug in" defender. Like Kim said it is heavy. No way am I thinking of packing it along with me if I am on the move. As much as I love my 7.62X39 I would even leave my AK's at home. The best defense on the move is being able to move and move fast. Keeping things light and compact is imperative.

Variety is the spice of life. Get a good mix and be ready for anything.

Is that fact that it is a "Bug In" Defender for you because of the weight of the .308 itself, or the particular rifle? What I mean is if you have a 7-8 pound rifle, does that rethink your decision, or is it simply (to you) a downside to the Size and Weight consideration of the amount of ammo you can carry of .308 vs. 5.56?

It's the ammo it's self. I can carry 2 to 4 times as much ammo in .556, .357, 9mm as I can .308.

For me, my Marlin .357 lever gun and 686 are my preferred SHTF combo. Light, shared ammo, just about guarantee'd no failures. Perfect for hunting and defense. But that's not what this thread is about...

Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None. Unless I win The Jack of course. Then...I will make a rifle that will shoot the tits off a mama fly at 300yds. I will take it to the range and regularly shoot 5" groups at 100yds [emoji33]

Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
None. Unless I win The Jack of course. Then...I will make a rifle that will shoot the tits off a mama fly at 300yds. I will take it to the range and regularly shoot 5" groups at 100yds [emoji33]

5" at 100 yards? Impressive. :rofl9:

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
beckdw wrote:

5" at 100 yards? Impressive. :rofl9:

If I downgrade my abilities, folks are far more impressed when they see me actually shoot. My plan is to be able to shoot MOA at 500yds, then 1k with my current bolt action.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I was stuck .308....

I'd go with a PTR pistol, and a suppressor...sidefolding non-stock brace until SHTF then put on whatever you want.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you need 2

long distance bolt action 18-20+ inch free floating barrel, light weight but durable, such as savage 110/111/116/, ruger scout ss, tikka ss.

16" ar10 with a decent glass and back up sights, and a ton of magazines, if you get lucky, you can get a complete kit minus lower from psa with melonite finish for 600-800.

last but not least, a shit ton of ammo!

Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4