Switch to full style
SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, Survival or just preventive planning.
Post a reply

Boo fwang UV5R's Tactical Big Brother

Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:37 pm

While this thing will pull in GMRS and a bunch of other stuff, it goes into ham freqs too. So be careful?

AR-152. Catchy name, hunh? Around $75

BTW: I listen to that guy at x1.5 speed and he almost sounds human.

Re: Boo fwang UV5R's Tactical Big Brother

Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:17 am

Have you seen the TRI and TRA replica PRC-152’s? Granted a hell of a lot more spendy. But a much nicer looking set up.

Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:33 am

Not seeing where it's waterproof, no good.

Claiming 12,000 mha battery? Amazing and awesome, if true.

10 watts for an HT is useless, unless you're transmitting out of a slim jim up a pole, as that much wattage going out near your head is not good. 5 watts max for that.

Looks heavier than it should be, for what it is.

Versions I'm seeing claim to be FCC certified, so locked into 140-144 & 420-450, which would blow ass.

Not watching fucktards' yootoob vidyas on stuff like this.

ETA: also no encryption is lame.

Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:35 pm

Yeah, that guy can be a goober. I usually watch at x 1.75 and just get the highlights

Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:31 pm

Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:00 am

ViniVidivici wrote:Not seeing where it's waterproof, no good.

Claiming 12,000 mha battery? Amazing and awesome, if true.

10 watts for an HT is useless, unless you're transmitting out of a slim jim up a pole, as that much wattage going out near your head is not good. 5 watts max for that.

Looks heavier than it should be, for what it is.

Versions I'm seeing claim to be FCC certified, so locked into 140-144 & 420-450, which would blow ass.

Not watching fucktards' yootoob vidyas on stuff like this.

ETA: also no encryption is lame.

Good points. However

There are unlockable modes that extend frequencies

External antenna - I use a roof mounted antenna in my van

Big battery means weight.

Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:56 am

Yeah I wouldn't buy it.

Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:29 am

I've always wanted to ask this question and since this is under 'Prepper's Paradise' I figure it fits.

You guys asking about GMRS radios and also Ham radios. Are you going for the legal, by the book licensing stuff or are any of these radio's you're looking at going to be for the "off grid, SHTF" moments?

If it's the later, then Image

Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:57 am

Well I can say that, anyone who just buys these and throws them on the shelf, with the expectation of using them in real, "SHTF" emergency scenarios where legalities go out the window, is just kidding themselves.

That's EXACTLY like buying a rifle, or pistol, and throwing it in the safe, planning to go all Chuck Norris when the time comes.

No training, no practice = FAIL. You gotta know how these things work, and what their capabilities and limitations are, and the only way to do that is to get on the air, and talk with others,alot, and those others won't give you the time of day if you're not licensed.

As far as type-accepted radios for GMRS, ham, etc., nobody gives a shit. The best radios to have are the ones that do both and then some.

Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:19 am

ViniVidivici wrote:Well I can say that, anyone who just buys these and throws them on the shelf, with the expectation of using them in real, "SHTF" emergency scenarios where legalities go out the window, is just kidding themselves.

That's EXACTLY like buying a rifle, or pistol, and throwing it in the safe, planning to go all Chuck Norris when the time comes.

No training, no practice = FAIL. You gotta know how these things work, and what their capabilities and limitations are, and the only way to do that is to get on the air, and talk with others,alot, and those others won't give you the time of day if you're not licensed.

As far as type-accepted radios for GMRS, ham, etc., nobody gives a shit. The best radios to have are the ones that do both and then some.

You're right. I just wanted to see that in print. :thumbsup2:

Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:24 am

ViniVidivici wrote:Well I can say that, anyone who just buys these and throws them on the shelf, with the expectation of using them in real, "SHTF" emergency scenarios where legalities go out the window, is just kidding themselves.

^This.

If you plan to practice/train effectively now, then obtaining the licenses just makes sense, IMHO. Is it absolutely necessary? Of course not. But I don't see a compelling reason not to.

And I agree, why limit yourself by getting limited-band radios when you can have one that will cover the majority? In an emergency, more frequency options is always better.
Post a reply