Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:24 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Commo and Gear on Plate Carriers 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rather than bung up gasit's PC thread or TW's Commo for Dummies thread, let's talk about how you carry shite on your PC's.

Many plate carriers are sparse on real estate and hanging stuff on them can be a challenge. Now, I don't want to hang a bunch of stuff off of them anyway, figuring a chest rig would be the way to go if you want to employ a bunch of gear.

For this post (but not the whole thread) I'm referring to a slick-ish PC set-up for concealment. So, minimal gear is key but still represents some challenges.

Desired concealable load-out would be:

Three mag front panel, flashlight pouch, TQ and comms. Figuring this to be handy in conjunction with a GHB, I'd be wearing street clothes. Pistol and extra mags would be on my trouser belt.

All of this was easily accomplished except for a suitable arrangement for comms. The cumber on my PC is only 2" wide and uses plastic cobra buckles, not velcro, to secure.

The Esstac radio pouch employs a clever flap mount which allows you to tuck the radio behind the cumber:

That's fine for a rig which uses soft velcro to secure the cumber, but using the cobra buckle, the hard plastic rides over the key pad and adds involuntary input! Locking the key pad may offer some security but I have concerns about the keypad being damaged. Using their funny little bungie WTF straps on the belt repositions the radio further from the front. The radio also flops about a bit, and placement brings the antenna under my armpit.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Repositioned the radio on the velcro placard so the key pad faces my soft white belly ( not racist ).

We'll see if that reduces or eliminates inadvertent keyboard entries. It did put the PTT port closer to center better position the antenna.

Next subject: Chest rigs!

The guy from T.Rex Arms (that always makes me laugh) is marketing a chest rig that can be worn alone or velcroed into your PC. Pretty slick.

I have a split front chesty from TT that I bought years ago, otherwise I'd consider this guy's CR or maybe Crye's?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I run the Ferro Concepts Slickster that has 4x elastic M4 pouches on each side. I run a different radio than the baofeng (I have a couple for alt comms) so it secures well in the elastic and doesn't press any buttons.

Edit to add I like the idea of the Trex chest rig since you could run the chest rig for recce type "missions", and toss it over the plate carrier for more high intensity incidents.

Personally I would rock my hunting setup (3day pack with an extra mag in a pocket) for recce type stuff. If you don't already have a plan though, a chest rig that integrates with your PC could be a good option.

Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using a 5.11 radio pouch for my xts5000

https://prok9supplies.com/5-11-tactical-5-11-radio-pouch-58718.html

I think they've come out with a newer design. They just opened a new store here, I should take a radio by and check it out

Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:37 pm

I use a Tac Tailor Fight Lite double rifle mag pouch for my radio, left side on cumber, forward as possible, over the FS tubes, right up against 3-mag shingle.

I don't know, I guess if I was running it on your setup, I'd loop the Malice clips on the back in such a way that they formed a sort of belt loop, then have the cumber going through that, so that the pouch rests directly over the Cobra buckle.

Might need zip tie or 550 cord somewhere to secure it so it stays in forward-most position.

It'd still be a bit floppy, maybe when running or crawling, but it'd be worth a try.

Barring that, I'd say do a setup where instead of 3 mags up front, it's 2 mags and a radio pouch. Only thing I dislike about such a setup is, now you're laying directly on the radio when prone.

Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure I like capturing both sides of the tube or cobra buckle by straddling it. So far the flap seems to work ok with the keypad facing in.

What do you use to retain/attach your PTT?

FJB

Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:30 am

No separate PTT, just simple hand mic, cord routed through webbing, mic up on left shoulder.

ETA: I see what you're sayin' though about jamming up the buckle.

That's one advantage of Tubes, you can mount shit right up against them. I only ever undo one side to don/doff, but I can release both if wanted.

I should take a couple pics when I get home, to show. Hell, wish we coulda discussed in person up at the pit, we both had our shit on right there! HA!

You may be able to secure a radio pouch one-sided, over the buckle, so that it can still release if needed.

Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's no webbing/molle on the Esstac shoulder straps, but what do you use to keep the mic in place?

FJB

Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:57 pm

I just clip the mic to the webbing on my shoulder strap.

I see the Daeodon has none...I guess I would try velcro one-step around the shoulder strap to clip it onto, or attach it to the laser cut slots at uppermost left of front plate bag.

Maybe some more velcro one-step on the shoulder strap for routing, or just don't rout it from the back, just have the excess tied off up front somewhere.

This is, if you're using a hand mic, which I find essential if I'm doing much talking.

So, my pouch is mounted like this:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:45 am

And I bridge the gap on the other side, with the IFAK. It resides over the tubes, and is pulled forward by a placard type buckle, which as you can see is easily undone, to get at the Tubes, so that side's not permanently closed.

You could do something like this, I think, over the Cobra buckle.

I do generally only open the left (radio) side though to don/doff:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]