Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Secure radio communications : A primer 

Radio programming options
A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35

Secure radio communications : A primer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
Holy smokes!

Anytone 878UVII+ ... in over my head!

Welcome to the kitchen sink.

:bigsmile:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hit the (or one of) repeater in Shelton. Pretty dead out there.

Still have not talked with a person.

Going to play a stupid game and see if my kid (hanging at home) can hear me off the repeater while I'm at work.

I definitely need to mount an antenna on the roof at home ... too many trees!

I'll be putting up a yagi on a piece of conduit just like I have for my cell phone amplifier.

Been trying to hit a local GMRS repeater but no luck yet. Not sure if it's even active (
Mac n Cheese Repeater Group)

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/6642

Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:31 pm

Dude, I know who Mac n Cheese actual is. His GMRS call is WRPA331, I talk to him all the time on the E. Tiger Mtn Olycomm3 repeater. Was just talking to him yesterday while reloading.

He lives out in that region, very remote. I'm pretty sure that repeater of his is still up, I'll ask him.

What's your elevation at home? You might be able to get into Olycomm 3.

462.625, +5.0, tone 141.3.(GMRS Repeater channel 18)

Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
Dude, I know who Mac n Cheese actual is. His GMRS call is WRPA331, I talk to him all the time on the E. Tiger Mtn Olycomm3 repeater. Was just talking to him yesterday while reloading.

He lives out in that region, very remote. I'm pretty sure that repeater of his is still up, I'll ask him.

What's your elevation at home? You might be able to get into Olycomm 3.

462.625, +5.0, tone 141.3.(GMRS Repeater channel 18)

200' elevation.

Will try olycom3!

Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huh, guess I should have read a bit more closely ... Anytone 878UVII+ does not do GMRS frequencies!

King of a bitch to program from the front panel - certainly not as easy as the Baifeng UV5R.

Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:49 pm

Whah?What? That radio is listed as covering 136-174 / 400-480 MHz, just like my TYTs and Baos....GMRS is 462-467 range.

Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
Whah?What? That radio is listed as covering 136-174 / 400-480 MHz, just like my TYTs and Baos....GMRS is 462-467 range.

I see that but the programming SW won't let me enter frequencies above 450 MHz. Weird.

Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buried in the SW is a section that lists Model info

There are a whole list of modes but under USA Amateur mode

UHF Rx (400-480 MHz)
UHF Tx (420-450 MHz)
VHF Rx (136-174 MHz)
VHF Tx (144-148 MHz)

Several modes listed
Commercial Europe
Commercial US
Mode
Amatuer Europe
Band4
band5
Amateur US
Commercial
Amateur Australia/Canada
Commercial mode (another one)
Amateur Thailand
Commercial Thailand

The frequency ranges in each mode are different

Setting to Commercial US seems to open up the full range in Rx/Tx

Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:15 pm

Whoa, weird. Well cool, if commercial US mode opens it all up, then you know where to leave it!

Good job finding that, I had no idea those all had those modes. That'd be annoying, but I see why they put limits in the ameteur mode, so you're forced to stay in the ham radio segments.

I only know one person who has an 878, and we've only talked ham stuff.

Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope, setting mode to commercial still wont let me program GMRS frequencies "band eroor" is the result

Setting via keypad to 462 MHz can be done but when PTT is pressed "Tx Error" appears and no go!

Lots of internet chat about how GMRS and FRS is not possible without jailbreak firmware for Anytone 878UV II +

Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:52 pm

Oh shit man, that fuckin' blows ass.

I'm glad I never got one, I've been pretty spoiled with these TYTs that do everything I need.

So, you've tried all available modes? Commercial, for example, should do the 150MHz range....not that that helps with GMRS.

We could ask the question on QRZ, but the overgrown hall monitors would descend like locusts whining about type acceptance and FCC regs, so good luck with a straight answer.

FUCK!

Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jason is a silent key but most of his work is saved

http://anytonetechzone.byethost7.com/87 ... ds.htm?i=1

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:

Interesting, I tried some stuff here - got the mode switched to commercial so full range up to 480MHz did seem to work but I used a very limited codeplug. At leas the codeplug loaded - didn't get an acknowledge from the GMRS repeater so not sure if it actually worked.

Funky stuff like cannot go into VFO and just dial in the frequencies .... also the listed channels in the zone did not show the frequency but just a label "channel X".

Going to take a bit of fiddling ...

Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Interesting, I tried some stuff here - got the mode switched to commercial so full range up to 480MHz did seem to work but I used a very limited codeplug. At leas the codeplug loaded - didn't get an acknowledge from the GMRS repeater so not sure if it actually worked.

Funky stuff like cannot go into VFO and just dial in the frequencies .... also the listed channels in the zone did not show the frequency but just a label "channel X".

Going to take a bit of fiddling ...

Keep in mind there are H/W differences between some variants.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One last post on this topic - seems like a good idea to split out another thread if there is enough interest.

Anytone 878UVII+

Got the full range of frequencies opened up. Verified function on GMRS channel 20 with CTCSS on both my old fashioned GRS/FRS Midland handies as well as the Baofeng UV-5R8W so thats progress.

The above post by TW has plenty of excellent reference info and links to get things going.

Had to use a utility to set the radio model config to "Commercial Europe" (aka Mode 0). I choose this because it had the widest frequencies in both Tx/Rx.

Then in the programming SW had to switch to the Mode 0 "Commercial Europe" and build the codeplug frequencies and channel setting from scratch.

Not everything carried over so the hot key functions also need to be reworked (this was why I could not get to VFO mode previously). Also little things like the volume display vanished. Another very annoying thing is the squelch setting all got reset to OFF so plenty of loud static!

Still got plenty of work to do but at least now I have got the Mason and some Kitsap county repeaters programmed.

Now off to fiddle with digital modes.

Still have not verified contact with GMRS repeaters Mac N Cheese of Olycomm3 (I'm pretty far from Oly).

Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next