Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
 Secure radio communications : A primer 

Radio programming options
A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35

Secure radio communications : A primer 

Olycomm3 is located at top of e. Tiger Mtn., near where I-90 & hwy 18 cross. At over 3,000', it has huge coverage area. I've talked on it all over the place, as far as 95 miles, but it's all dependent on your own elevation and signal path, of course.

Well this is awesome that you got it figured out! Good to know it can be used in the advertised frequency range.

Yeah it can be a pain reconfiguring things in CPS for radios like these, but once done it's done, and that can be easily loaded onto more radios of same type in the future.

What digital are you working on? DMR repeaters, digital simplex, or the encryption?

Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The radio supports AES-256, and allow keyloading via software and no add'l hardware. That alone makes it a better option for 90% of people out there.

AES-256 in commercial radios is more secure, as a captured radio can't be read to get the keys, but if you're at that point......

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:08 pm

BTW, I just spoke with Mac n' Cheese actual on the radio, that repeater of his IS up and running, all info is current, tone is 123.0.

There is most likely some terrain feature blocking between it and Deckerville, if you are in Shelton actual you should be able to hit it.

Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha ha! First contact! Off the UHF repeater in Belfair ... not a virgin anymore.

Still no luck on GMRS repeater Mac N Cheese ... Shelton, Union nor Deckerville. In Union I thought maybe because the radio indicated signals received (pretty strong ones) but I didn't hear anything.

Also, for some reason when switching to mode 0 it doesn't just clear frequencies (as the message prompt says) but a host of other settings ... so you literally have to rebuild the code plug from scratch.

I wish there was a way to export the frequency settings so I could load them into a different brand radio.

Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:

Still no luck on GMRS repeater Mac N Cheese ... Shelton, Union nor Deckerville. In Union I thought maybe because the radio indicated signals received (pretty strong ones) but I didn't hear anything.

Also, for some reason when switching to mode 0 it doesn't just clear frequencies (as the message prompt says) but a host of other settings ... so you literally have to rebuild the code plug from scratch.

I wish there was a way to export the frequency settings so I could load them into a different brand radio.

export to csv?

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:51 pm

Congrats on the first contact Sporkboy!

Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was at the overflow parking lot at Alderbrook G&CC and could hear chatter on OlyComm3 but it was noisy.

FYI the Abbree AR-771 antenna works fine but craps out above 450 MHz. I could not hear anything at 462 MHz. Good thing I got a magnetic base antenna for the van - it claims to got the 520 MHz and certainly does get 462 MHz just fine.

Still no luck with Mac N Cheese. Add Belfair to the list of no contact.

Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
SporkBoy wrote:

export to csv?

I looked but did not see this as an option.

Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:39 pm

FYI, antenna resonance is mainly a function of transmit, rather than receive. Meaning, any wire connected to the radio will receive something, it's when you transmit that issues arise.

So strange, that Abree antenna looks alot like (and is similar length and clim of 2m/70cm) the Nagoya 771s we use for our HTs, we use them very effectively in the GMRS range.

You should try the ham repeaters on E. Tiger mtn. andmt Baldi.

HJR on E Tiger has huge coverage, as well as K7LED. Lot of traffic and nets on the latter as well.

HJR: 444.650, +5.0, 131.8.

K7LED: 146.820, -0.6, 103.5.

You should be able to get K7CPR on Capitol Peak too: 145.470, -0.6, 100.0.

Not near as much traffic on that one, but decent coverage. I can hit it from Puyallup area with a Slim Jim up.

Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:18 pm

Spoke to Mac n Cheese actual on Olycomm3 the other day, said his repeater has been temporarily relocated, so very limited range at this time.

Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tangentially related as some of the incomprehensible jargon in this thread is defined:

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/11/radio- ... L_CAMPAIGN)

Article is mainly about scanners.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38