Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Good article on preparedness on KING 5 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KING 5 did an article on preparing for a natural disaster and it was more comprehensive (and realistic) than most. Link here -- http://www.king5.com/news/local/disaster/prepare-to-be-on-your-own-in-a-major-pacific-northwest-disaster/447180665

There probably aren't any new nuggets of information for those of us who have already given some thought to having food, water, and supplies on hand, but if you have family members who are still in the "we'll just call 911" camp, this article might give you some leverage to help push them into action.

Also, consider it a random summertime reminder to check your gear if you're heading out camping or taking a road trip. Rotate the water you keep in the car, add some bug bite/bee sting stuff, whatever you need to do.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw something similar posted of my Nextdoor blog recently. Its amazing how many people are completely unprepared

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's amazing is my wife and others who think I'm crazy for thinking about "what if" and can we help ourselfs during "what if". Forwarded, because it's not crazy when someone else says it.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
if you have family members who are still in the "we'll just call 911" camp, this article might give you some leverage to help push them into action.

I have family members in the "we'll just come to your house" camp, despite numerous attempts on my part to point out why that's a stupid plan. I can't seem to get through to them. :frust:

This reminded me that I need to update my emergency supplies now that we have another small mouth to feed.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wilmermj wrote:
What's amazing is my wife and others who think I'm crazy for thinking about "what if" and can we help ourselfs during "what if". Forwarded, because it's not crazy when someone else says it.

Mine thought I was crazy and it was a waste of time for putting together a kit for the vehicles with fire starting materials, a solid fuel cook stove, a small pot to heat water/soup with, emergency blanket, a pack of Ramen, some granola bars etc. "which we'll never use". Now she wants to add to them after reading the article above.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
mislabeled wrote:
if you have family members who are still in the "we'll just call 911" camp, this article might give you some leverage to help push them into action.

I have family members in the "we'll just come to your house" camp, despite numerous attempts on my part to point out why that's a stupid plan. I can't seem to get through to them. :frust:

This reminded me that I need to update my emergency supplies now that we have another small mouth to feed.

My in laws are like that. I've even offered to buy and store stuff for them if they reimburse me. They said "nah we're fine".

They get to eat the Mainstay emergency rations and scrounge for water if they wind up at my place....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like they said, it's not what if, but when. The snowmegedan we had a couple of years ago caused chaos, I can't imagine what it will be like if we have a "real" disaster. The simulated CERT training I've done is an eye opener. Oh I have a bug out bag, well that's cute because you ain't going nowhere. One fender bender on the freeway brings it to a halt, so even one or two bridges getting knocked out will equal total shut down. Most people are living in a fantasy land, and think that FEMA will save them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"The disaster happens when you're coming home from the dog park. The bridge is wiped out, and you can't get home. Do you have water and food for Fido or Fifi in case you are stranded?"

or better yet: Are you prepared to cook and eat Fido or Fifi in case you are stranded?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol. I really need to get my book published. Hammers away at all of these points with characters ranging from the totally unprepared to real deal preppers.

I should be able to knock out the edits this fall. Waaaay too many summer chores to do here.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
"The disaster happens when you're coming home from the dog park. The bridge is wiped out, and you can't get home. Do you have water and food for Fido or Fifi in case you are stranded?"

or better yet: Are you prepared to cook and eat Fido or Fifi in case you are stranded?

Meh. I'm pretty sure I can loot a 711 before I eat my dogs...

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
mislabeled wrote:

Find a chart somewhere that shows human "cuts of meat". There's got to be one SOMEwhere on this crazy old interweb thingy!

Then show that to them, and tell them if they show up, they'll match that chart... :wink05: :ROFLMAO:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first winter we lived in our current home we woke up to well over a foot of snow and it kept coming down for a couple of days. Living at the end of a dead end road out in the county we never did get a snow plow to free us. Luckily I had 4-5gallon water bottles and several grills and smokers as well as a propane stove for cooking. We lost power on the first day and did not get power back for 5 days. even after the snow melted we could not get out as the snow melted so fast we had a mini river over one of the roads that we have to use to get to town. My wife no longer makes jokes or remarks about how I buy in bulk and do things like can Taco meat and Faita meat and Chili and other foods as we lived quite well that week, in fact it as like a vacation. A vacation without TV and power sort of like our own version of camping at home.

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/07/old-sins-new-ways/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=59d7e21aae-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-59d7e21aae-20588801#axzz4nNKj08Dh

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in '05-'06 there was a bad snow ice storm the area had and I was out of power for damn near 6 days.

By day three 99% of my neighbors had bailed to hotels, or friends/family that had power. We rode it out cooking on my wood stove, sleeping in the living room by the fire, and using the snow to keep the food in my fridge from spoiling. The freezer food was a different story, and I BBQ's for damn near 7 hours straight one day cooking up everything I couldn't save.

It's amazing how eerie a neighborhood becomes when its pitch black, no traffic, no people, and no darks barking.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That first article really got things rolling and KING 5 seems to be going full boogie on the preparedness theme right now. If you're looking for additional info to help convince friends or family members that having some food and basic supplies on hand is a good thing, there might be something useful on KING's website. They've added several new headlines to their main page that are related to preparedness.

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]