Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 How many magazines do you need? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First off, if you haven't written all your legislators about the magazine ban they're trying to enact, go do so now, here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=129537

I personally followed the instructions in the PO's post on about the 4th line down. It's not completely straight forward, but if you read MadPick's instructions it's relatively easy to figure out, and you're writing to every single legislator in a single email. Make sure to include your name at the bottom.

OK, on to the question at hand, how many magazines do you need per firearm? I've got several types of evil black rifles and in general I've probably got roughly 6 standard capacity magazines, and maybe a couple smaller for off the bench shooting, almost exclusively PMags. Not certain of the actual number but probably more than a couple dozen and less than three. I've also got some evil black rifle cousins that people don't seem to mind so much because they have wooden stocks (or at least, they started life with them). For those I've got roughly half a dozen 20-30 round magazines as well as the 5 rounders they came with. I have several 10/22's and have probably 4x 25 round magazines each, plus several of the 10x rounders for each. I have one single bolt action rifle that takes magazines, but those magazines are only available in 5 & 10 round capacity, so they shouldn't be affected by this stupid law. All the rest of my rifles are either single shot, tube fed or revolver style.

For my pistols that are capable of more than 10 rounds, I probably have at least 4-6 magazines for each, some a few more (mostly because I've had them longer and found deals along the way).

To me this seems like somewhere between maybe enough for both my rifles & pistols, and OMG, they're banning magazines again & I need to buy dozens more!

How many magazines do you think you should have for each of your firearms?

Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

50~100 for each weapon. :bigsmile:

Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

N+1, where N is the number I currently have.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least 10 standard capacity per weapon. More is better though. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, this is a tough question and I don't know the answer.

Should we assume that you're asking the question on the assumption that we will soon have a mag ban? So the question is, "how many mags do I need to make sure that I have before the mag ban goes into effect?". I'll assume that that's the case.

I think it all depends on what you think you'll do with the gun. Going to casually target shoot? Well, a few mags is probably enough. One or two to use at the range, plus a spare or two in case something breaks in the years to come.

Going to compete, run and gun, USPSA or 3-gun stuff? Probably a few more, as you'll use more each time you shoot, plus you'll probably break more.

Going to eventually use your gun in the second civil war? Well, I think you'll want dozens of mags. You'll want a bunch to carry, plus you'll probably lose some during combat.

Going to ignore the law, pass out mags to your friends and family, and hand them down to your future kids? Again, you want dozens.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Answer

Freedom. How ever many I choose to buy and have. And for me all my mags are loaded.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have way more than I need but I bought even more just because.

Even bought a 100 rd double drum because 'Murica!

Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:29 pm

Have I caused the Commie shitstains in Olympia to mass drop-dead from apoplexy at the idea of that many in one person's hands? If not, it's not enough...

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The question is moot!

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whatever you can comfortably afford.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I certainly have more in some calibers than others for various reasons but a standard compliment for me might be around 6 per weapon as a minimum. Standard carry will usually max out around 3 and if for some strange reason I load up for some anticipated shenanigans I dont see me packin anymore than 10 and if i feel a need for more than that then a can of ammo would me my preferred. A hundred loaded mags in my safe is a bunch of money id prefer to spend elsewhere

Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:36 pm

In all seriousness, my usual guideline is one "basic combat load" (whatever that may be for that weapon; 7 for AR's) per weapon with the weapon, a second in "immediate ready reserve" with the weapon and primaries, two more sets in "ready storage", another full set of dedicated trainers, and beyond that is a bonus. Minimum is a "combat and a trainer," I prefer to build "lateral" to that basic level for every gun then "out" to successively deeper levels one iron at a time.

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Magazine's went down with the guns in the boating accident

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5+ for each gun, not each type of gun but each gun, so for me, i have like a dozen ak's, thats 5x12 all of proper country origin. If SHTF, i'll step out with a matching wardrobe of an egyptian with half moon spot weld mags, or a trench art yugo with trench art yugo mags. SHTF in style. The only place i'm lacking is my general motors m16a1 clone, and my PSL, on the A1 i dont care for 20 rounders, and my psl has a pile of lahati mags i'm going to modify(finnish 20 rounders for their LMG)

Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also don't forget about the firearms on your wish list. Might be a good idea to get the mags now so you'll have them later.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next