Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:27 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Colt revolver grip question 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im trying to find a set of the hogue monogrips for an old colt cobra. Not the cobra 2 with the underlug but the original model. It appears hogue didn't offer them.

My question is, are those cobra grips interchangeable with any other colt models that may be more common or offered by hogue?

Im a smith guy and not too fluent in colt.

Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does it have a square or rounded butt?

Cobra was/is an aluminum framed detective special and the grips are interchangeable as long as you get the correct generation.

Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im gonna say square? Very rounded corners but more like a smith square than a smith round.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still very unclear on what colt did over the years.

Through research it would appear the cobras are a "D" frame. I could not find anything online referencing round or square butt. Applies to smith, doesn't look like thats a colt thing. At least not in the 50's-70's D frames?

Now theres reference on hogues website of short and long D frame. The model 48000 monogrips are noted to fit short frame ONLY. The photo on hogues site shows the cobra generation after mine, with the underlug making it a cobra2.

So is the photo i posted above confirmed a "D" frame by any of you colt guys? Is it a long or short frame?

Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

harleyjasondavidson wrote:
Still very unclear on what colt did over the years.

Through research it would appear the cobras are a "D" frame. I could not find anything online referencing round or square butt. Applies to smith, doesn't look like thats a colt thing. At least not in the 50's-70's D frames?

Now theres reference on hogues website of short and long D frame. The model 48000 monogrips are noted to fit short frame ONLY. The photo on hogues site shows the cobra generation after mine, with the underlug making it a cobra2.

So is the photo i posted above confirmed a "D" frame by any of you colt guys? Is it a long or short frame?

does your grip frame (metal part) extend to the bottom of the wood grips? If so you have a long grip, if not there should be a wood spacer which is a short frame. Almost every Detective Special I have seen has the short grip frame. I have only seen a couple of Cobras and I cannot remember what they had.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, on mine the frame goes to the bottom of the grips. Sounds like a "long D frame" then.

Thanks for the help!

Doesn't look like hogue currently offers a monogrip for that. Ill have to research if they used to make them and look for used or old stock if discontinued.

Im finding it tough to believe that of all the models colt has made the cobra 1 was a one-off.

Anybody know how this model compares to the king cobra, diamondback, or?

Any authoritative website on colt's model/frame history?

Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

harleyjasondavidson wrote:
Yes, on mine the frame goes to the bottom of the grips. Sounds like a "long D frame" then.

Thanks for the help!

Doesn't look like hogue currently offers a monogrip for that. Ill have to research if they used to make them and look for used or old stock if discontinued.

Im finding it tough to believe that of all the models colt has made the cobra 1 was a one-off.

Anybody know how this model compares to the king cobra, diamondback, or?

Any authoritative website on colt's model/frame history?

I wouldn't say that, maybe you have the short grip frame with short grips, maybe post a picture?

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photo above is the exact model

Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]