Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Reloading Gear 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yup. 3

IIRC sportsdad uses one or somethi8ng like it in processing his brass.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll also be washing that brass with citrus cleaner and etc. (simple green? Dawn?Tumble in walnut hulls? )

What do you other guys use to get the case lube off?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:26 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moved to the Reloading section. Snozz, take a look at the other threads in this section, there's a lot here.

For brass, the cheapest and easiest way to get matching head stamps is probably to buy some Lake City brass.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Moved to the Reloading section. Snozz, take a look at the other threads in this section, there's a lot here.

For brass, the cheapest and easiest way to get matching head stamps is probably to buy some Lake City brass.

Thanks Steve. I was trying to get a list of all the categories I need, and wasn't looking for specific recommendations yet. The list I've compiled on the first page appears to be about $1000 worth of stuff.

Eventually I might start reading this forum and try to figure out what I would buy in each category, and how much it costs. So then I can get a real budget together and start doing math.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of folks talk about how reloading can save a fistful of money over factory ammo :ROFLMAO:

While technically this might be true for high volume shooters (pistol, AR, varmint rifle shooters) in reality most of us in that category just wind up shooting more volume to avoid having leftover money laying around :bigsmile:

For low volume, precision shooters the real benefit is being able to tailor loads to your own rifle thereby maximizing your accuracy with a given rig.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Snozz there is one more piece of equipment worth putting on this list if you don't already have one:
- Chronograph and tripod

While not technically considered part of reloading gear the reality is you need one to measure velocity on your reloads, especially when doing load development. It's invaluable for sanity checking your test loads against published data in the reloading manuals.

If you think that you will only occasionally be working up loads for a small number of rifles then any number of chronos around the $100 to $125 range will do nicely. I break mine out once in a blue moon so can't really justify much more than that. Same goes for a tripod for the chrono, no need for a fancy high end cameraman's tripod. Better to get something average for the chrono and save the money for elsewhere in your reloading budget.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey that's a really good call. Added to the list.

I'd like to become a varmint shooter. Where are all these varmint I get to shoot?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
Hey that's a really good call. Added to the list.

I'd like to become a varmint shooter. Where are all these varmint I get to shoot?

Can't help you there. You need to find a prairie dog farm, errr I mean a rancher with a prairie dog problem :bigsmile:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Snozz, for the record I started to reload in Dec 2015 (Auto Progressive) with 45ACP and 9mm. Then I expanded into rifle.
I now have a single stage rock chucker (use it for match rifle rounds, and black powder cartridge) in addition to the auto progressive.

I can finally declare that I've broke even now, after 18 months. I make 10 different calibers. (45ACP, 9mm, 38 SPL, .357 Mag, 45 Colt, .223 Rem, 30-06, .280 Rem, 38-55 BPC, 45-70 BPC)

Now, the thing is, my intentions was to save money when I started. I didn't. I spent more! But gained a hobby. And gained the ability to shoot more and not break the bank when my sons and wife come out to the range with me.

But 18 months later...I'm finally breaking even, according to my calculations.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
Snozz, for the record I started to reload in Dec 2015 (Auto Progressive) with 45ACP and 9mm. Then I expanded into rifle.
I now have a single stage rock chucker (use it for match rifle rounds, and black powder cartridge) in addition to the auto progressive.

I can finally declare that I've broke even now, after 18 months. I make 10 different calibers. (45ACP, 9mm, 38 SPL, .357 Mag, 45 Colt, .223 Rem, 30-06, .280 Rem, 38-55 BPC, 45-70 BPC)

Now, the thing is, my intentions was to save money when I started. I didn't. I spent more! But gained a hobby. And gained the ability to shoot more and not break the bank when my sons and wife come out to the range with me.

But 18 months later...I'm finally breaking even, according to my calculations.

I think I broke even after I made my first 1k .357 mag and 10mm.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With 10mm if you compare apples to apples blazing hot ammo, at 20 rounds per box :bigsmile: to 1000s of home loads, expenses get in the win column quickly.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
With 10mm if you compare apples to apples blazing hot ammo, at 20 rounds per box :bigsmile: to 1000s of home loads, expenses get in the win column quickly.

Ha! This!

My most expensive round before I reloaded was 45/70 at $1.89 a round for low pressure loads.
I make 'em now for .45 cents each, and MUCH more predictive and reliable.

This is a great site for calculating real cost.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't see a powder trickler on the list (unless you're getting an auto charge powder dispenser).

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While surfing the InterWebs came across the GunsAmerica blog. Looking through their blog they have what looks like a pretty good series of articles on reloading. Might be worth a read, especially the first three articles might answer a number of questions about what to expect, gearing up, and getting started.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/want-to-reload-your-own-ammo/

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chasehooks wrote:
I didn't see a powder trickler on the list (unless you're getting an auto charge powder dispenser).

i have digital scale and powder measurer on the list. Should I dump them from the list and get an autocharge powder dispenser?

Isn't a digital scale a powder measurer?

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next