Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Reloading Gear 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah one of the many things to sort out when buying gear. You have some choices here:

The more traditional route and perfectly suited to your task of low-volume reloading of bottleneck rifle cartridges is to buy a separate powder measure, trickler, and scale. The scale is traditionally mechanical although you have a choice to go with a digital scale also (e.g. RCBS RangeMaster).

The alternate approach is to go with a combination electronic powder dispenser/scale system like the RCBS Chargemaster. These have come down in price though are still spendy. This is the route I selected as I reload typically 120 or more cases in three different calibers a month for metallic silhouette matches. If you go this route, you don't really need a trickler. A lot of folks also like to back-up their electronic scale with a mechanical scale so they can sanity check the electronic one periodically and also so they have a backup for when the power goes out.

Down the line if you get into high-volume reloading for pistol or rifle then the powder measure is incorporated on a progressive press and measures powder charges by volume (though it's a really smart idea to calibrate and then periodically test the powder throw on a scale to make sure the powder metering is properly adjusted and stays that way over time.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
The more traditional route and perfectly suited to your task of low-volume reloading of bottleneck rifle cartridges is to buy a separate powder measure, trickler, and scale.

What's a powder measure? A trickler is a dispenser, right?

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:
The more traditional route and perfectly suited to your task of low-volume reloading of bottleneck rifle cartridges is to buy a separate powder measure, trickler, and scale.

What's a powder measure? A trickler is a dispenser, right?

Powder measure throws powder charges by volume to get you in the ballpark for the desired powder charge weight from the reloading manual:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1458295370/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure

This charge goes into the measuring pan of the mechanical or electronic scale for measurement. Since the charge is by volume it may be slightly low.

A trickler has a small basin which is manually filled with powder and is used to 'top off' the charge by adding very small amounts of powder to the measuring pan of the scale to bring the charge gradually up to full weight.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/487186/redding-5-powder-trickler

Of course if you go the route of combined electronic powder dispenser/scale like the RCBS Chargemaster then this process is all simplified. You just program the desired charge weight into the unit. The unit then dispenses the powder and basically has a built-in trickler mechanism to top off the charge automatically until the programmed charge weight is reached. Easy-peasey.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/772151/rcbs-chargemaster-1500-powder-scale-and-dispenser-combo-110-volt

I'm a fan of the combined powder measure/scale as my personal thinking is that it scales well for the times when you want to start reloading and shooting more rounds but don't yet want to invest in a progressive press.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks!

Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love this thread! It's great to see the community help out new reloaders. Welcome to the obsession!

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3