Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 1911 45 acp 4.25" barrel load data for 230 grain fmj 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey guys, anyone here have accurate load data for a 45 ACP 230 grain fmj and a 4.25" Commander barrel? Any information is much appreciated. Thanks in advance :thumbsup2:

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same as a 5" Barrel.
What is your projectile? What is your powder?
I've had good luck with this site. Start a little low and work your way up.
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/

I load Bear Creek moly coated 200 grain RNHB with 5.6-5.9 grains of Win 231 or HP38 with an OAL of around about 1.25". These will fire in any 1911 no matter the barrel length. That's been my recipe for years. I also really like Accurate #2 and Unique for 45acp.

Divided we fall.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:17 pm

I use 5.0 grains of reddot

Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5.5gr titegroup with 230gr bullet seated around 1.275. I use it on multiple 1911's including commander barrels and my XD's.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5.3 of #2 it has never let me down. Works in my 1911's, sig, H&K and everything else I have tried like the kriss

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mash man wrote:
5.3 of #2 it has never let me down. Works in my 1911's, sig, H&K and everything else I have tried like the kriss

Accurate #2 is the holy grail of powders for pistol applications. Went a few years recently with none on the shelves. I'm really happy that it is making a comeback. It will power 9mm and 38 special excellently also.

Divided we fall.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:
mash man wrote:

Accurate #2 is the holy grail of powders for pistol applications. Went a few years recently with none on the shelves. I'm really happy that it is making a comeback. It will power 9mm and 38 special excellently also.

I know right. When you find a 5 lbs jug you see a beam of light shining down lol.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use 5.2 gr of vv320. 181 power factor with plated bullets 230gr.
I use slower powders like true blue for xtp hollowpoints

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

4.8 of 700X

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the information. Current powders on hand are, Titegroup, AA452, HP-38, Longshot, 800X, Clays, Universal and Green dot. So far I'm getting accurate loads using Longshot on the minimum starting load @ 6.3 grains The velocity is 848 fps but that's for a 5" barrel. I wonder approximately what my fps is coming out of 4.25" barrel?

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

phorsfall wrote:
Thanks for the information. Current powders on hand are, Titegroup, AA452, HP-38, Longshot, 800X, Clays, Universal and Green dot. So far I'm getting accurate loads using Longshot on the minimum starting load @ 6.3 grains The velocity is 848 fps but that's for a 5" barrel. I wonder approximately what my fps is coming out of 4.25" barrel?

Be careful with titegroup. Great powder, but goes overly explosive rapidly when overfilled. Wes always warned me about Titegroup.

Divided we fall.

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is load data/chrono data from a Colt Commander in 4.25 barrel using CFE Pistol Powder and a cast 225 bullet, powder coated.
These run about 75 fps slower than Winchester 45ACP white box and that's fine for plinking ammo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

phorsfall wrote:

Could be slower, could be faster; it really just depends on your barrel and the specific load. Any guesses about the velocity difference are just guesses.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a quick chrono'ing test on a 2" barrel vs 3" barrel resulted in the 2" barrel velocity at a slower velocity, by about 75 fps slower, than 3". My guess is that a 4 1/4 inch barrel will be slighlty slowere than a 5".

I will run a test this weekend with a Commander and full length barrel 1911.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have also seen 4-1/4" 1911 barrels be faster than other 5" barrels. You really can't make a worthwhile guess on this one, gotta measure it to know.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]