Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Reloading Manuals, and the need to cross reference 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Maybe there isn't a need to cross reference but it surely would have helped prevent a blood pressure spike that I experienced late this afternoon.
I am new to .223 reloading... and finally decided to process a bunch of brass and get going on loading since my sons are shooting ARs.
I broke out the Speer Manual, #12, and noted the data for 55 gr FMJ-BT using W748. Speer recommends that I start at 26.0gr and max at 28.0 (compressed.)
So I loaded 100 rounds at 26.0 grains and asked my boys to bring the brass back to me. They were there, hands on for a bunch of it, watching the powder drop and every 6th a check on the scale.
(Q: Why every 6th? A: Once per row of the loading block. Just easy to keep track of.)
Each of the shooters shone a flashlight above the loading tray and into the case necks to see what 26.0 gr of 748 looks like in there, and that all were about the same depth.
All good, I thought.
The boys took off for the range and I sat down to clean and calibrate 4 beam scales, disassemble 2 powder drops for a deep cleaning, and put things in order after having 5 guys monkeying around in my loading area. As I put the Speer #12 back on the shelf, on a lark I grabbed the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, 6th Edition. I turned to page 183, enjoying the crisp pages and data flowing under my fingertips. 2 more pages slide past as I get to the 55gr data, and there to my great wonder I saw that I had sent my boys out with cartridges loaded to .4 gr short of Hornady's Max.
Hornady starts at 22.7 and maxes at 26.4. Both used a test bbl of 1-12", but Speer's was 22" long and Hornady's 26". Speer's COL 2.215, Hornady's 2.200".

:cussing: When I was teaching my boys to reload I rammed it home about starting low and working up pet loads for each rifle... And now I have to tell them that I sent them out earlier today at almost max from one source!

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:21 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I suspect that all will turn out just fine. thumbsup

But yeah, it's frustrating when you get all super-careful about your loading, and then you find such a wide variation in data. A reloader just don't know what to do. :cussing:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hornady rifle loads are very conservative. You have to take that into account.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:00 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

And these loads were for bolt action rifles? I've read different load data by the same mfg for bolt and semiauto.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

dreadi wrote:
And these loads were for bolt action rifles? I've read different load data by the same mfg for bolt and semiauto.

Good point sir. I am a bolt action guy. I've never even shot my own ARs.
Speer's test rifle is the Ruger 77 MkII. Hornady's is the Remington 700. Bbl specs in 1st post.

Duke, I'd have gone with the more conservative if I'd been aware of how big the discrepancy could be. But one manufacturer's minimum is about the same as another manufacturer's maximum? *blood pressure spike* I'll be checking all my books and going online the next time I start a new-to-me cartridge.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:

Duke, I'd have gone with the more conservative if I'd been aware of how big the discrepancy could be. But one manufacturer's minimum is about the same as another manufacturer's maximum? *blood pressure spike* I'll be checking all my books and going online the next time I start a new-to-me cartridge.

That is always a wise move. Also make sure to check with the powder manufacturer's load guide as well as the bullet manufacturer's.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been experiencing similar frustration trying to start loading for my Mosin Nagant. The low end load data I've found for the powder I have varies almost 10 grains depending on which source you refer to!

I'll be starting with the lower low end data I found in my Lee manual.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:40 pm
Profile WWW

Duke EB wrote:

So outrageously conservative. The Hornady manual is a paperweight. Use the powder manufacturer or Lyman manuals.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
dreadi wrote:

Good point sir. I am a bolt action guy. I've never even shot my own ARs.
Speer's test rifle is the Ruger 77 MkII. Hornady's is the Remington 700. Bbl specs in 1st post.

For shame! For shame! Mr Tools of Freedom! :gibbs:

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:06 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

:facepalm2: They just don't appeal to me much.
Even when I was loading for the ARs I was thinking how much nicer it would be to shoot that shiny ammo in a bolt gun.

On a related note, I'm in the market for bolt guns in 5.56 and 7.62 NATO. :bigsmile:

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
............ maxes at 26.4

This matches the Hodgdon site, FWIW. While not good or ideal to start near the max, as others have mentioned most max weights have a layer or two of safety built in (not advising to ignore, just stating an observation)

I would say with the 55 gr bullet, firearms in good working order, you will be fine at 26 gr.

With hot pistol loads, many folks I know in certain firearms test to the max load and then creep beyond. With my 10mm AR, the chamber is very stout, a couple loads I have gone beyond max book and zero signs of high pressure. Again, just my own personal business.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SixPointEight wrote:
Duke EB wrote:

So outrageously conservative. The Hornady manual is a paperweight. Use the powder manufacturer or Lyman manuals.

I have only ONE manual, the Lee 2nd Edition. I use it for a basic reference as it has quite a comprehensive load database. For the actual loading I use the manufacturer's website as that data is the most current. Printed manuals take a couple years from start to publication and often there are small changes that don't make it into the final copy.

The basic rule of reloading is to establish a starting point (low) and work up your loads to suit your own rifle. Sometimes it's higher than published data and sometimes accuracy comes at a lower than published load.

We've moved into the 21st century and it's time to put the books where they belong. On the shelf of a museum showing 20th century technology.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:26 am

There's a margin of safety built into all of the loads. If you exceed it slightly, accelerated wear on your bolt and stretched brass are more likely than catastrophic failure.

None of this is rocket science as you're using their data in a different tube with only the crudest methods for monitoring pressure. That's why everything is kept well below dangerous levels and most accidents happen with double charges, wrong type of powder, or other MAJOR pressure spike.

I usually do a sanity check (if I have several manuals with data) and then rely on chronograph and pressure signs to make sure things aren't wildly wrong.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:53 am

The other thing to note is that load data is typically given for .223 Rem pressures. Most AR15s are chambered have a more generous chamber and throat (for 5.56 ammo), so loading a bit hot won't be an issue.

Bolt guns are inherently strong, so while they may have tighter chambers, they can often handle fairly high pressure safely.

It's always best to work up loads to your rifle, but what I'm getting at here, is that I wouldn't be concerned with going up to, or even slightly over book listed maximum loads. Don't go too crazy, be reasonable

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
SixPointEight wrote:
Duke EB wrote:

I have only ONE manual, the Lee 2nd Edition. I use it for a basic reference as it has quite a comprehensive load database. For the actual loading I use the manufacturer's website as that data is the most current. Printed manuals take a couple years from start to publication and often there are small changes that don't make it into the final copy.

The basic rule of reloading is to establish a starting point (low) and work up your loads to suit your own rifle. Sometimes it's higher than published data and sometimes accuracy comes at a lower than published load.

We've moved into the 21st century and it's time to put the books where they belong. On the shelf of a museum showing 20th century technology.

I have 3 books, hornady, lee, and lyman. I definitely use the websites too, western powder, hogdgon, vihtavouri, and Nosler. Books still have a place, but the web sites is where the most current info is usually.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next