Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Well, I just learned something new about Lee die sets 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have several sets of Lee dies I've bought over the past couple of years. I've always been annoyed by the lack of a proper latching system to keep the plastic die set holder shut. When I looked at the photo that's on everyone of the sets of instructions it shows the dies sitting in a certain order in the photo and I try to keep my dies in the same order since I'm still a nugget when it comes to reloading so I try to make things easier to remember. When I had my dies placed "correctly" in the die holder, I'd put the folding instructions in the "right way up", and then I'd put the clear plastic embossed case cover on the "right way up", meaning you could read "Lee" right side up in the clear plastic. In this orientation the case top just pops right off, which has always irritated me. Today, my engineer's brain kicked in, and I took a closer look at the latching mechanism, and noticed that it couldn't properly engage if the clear piece was on "right side up", but if I reversed it so "Lee" is upside down, it made a very positive "CLICK" and the case top won't move.

I feel kind of stupid taking this long to figure it out, but now I know, and so do you!

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:40 pm
Profile WWW

[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]Holy smokes. All those times and you never accidentally put it on the wrong way? I can't even get a USB drive right half the time!

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lee die cases are the stupidest latch design on the planet. I toss them and buy a RCBS case.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SixPointEight wrote:
[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]Holy smokes. All those times and you never accidentally put it on the wrong way? I can't even get a USB drive right half the time!

Yeah, you'd think with the 50/50/90 rule I'd have gotten it wrong a few times.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:08 pm
Profile WWW

Play the lotto!

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Lee die cases are the stupidest latch design on the planet. I toss them and buy a RCBS case.

I don't even do that. First thing I do with a new die set is put Hornady LnL Bushings on them, get them adjusted and locked, than store them on a racks I buy from Inline Fabrication.

This way I merely grab the die I want for whatever I'm doing at the moment and install it in the top of my RCBS Rock Chucker or Summit press that I've added the Hornady LnL adapter to. It's like having a 20 station (or more) turrret press :thumbsup2:

A lot of neat stuff made by this company to make it easier to keep your reloading area neater and more convenient. Well worth the money, especially if you have a lot of equipment like I do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:plusone:

Inline Fabrication products are bomb-diggity. I have a couple of their products for the LnL AP :bigsmile:
- Ergo Roller Handle. Makes reloading reminiscent of an old time trip to Vegas
- Ultramount. Makes it a lot easier to visually inspect powder charges without having to bend over
- Skylight. Same thing.
- Double Bullet Tray. Why reach very far for your cases and bullets (assuming you load manually)?
- Die rack

Simple, straightforward, and high quality construction.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the hornady lnl conversion on my rockchucker and love it. But having just bought a Dillon 550, a lot of them have came off and are sitting in a box. Still do rifle sizing and loading on the rockchucker. To many die sets and my reloading room is not setup for a rack like that. Those are nice though. At least dies with bushings fit in an rcbs box. Not lee.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe there is something worse. The round Lee die (turret) holders. Got a mess, free at a WAC show. Free for a reason. I mean they work because I do have a decent amount of turrets with dies installed, but stupid as well.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:24 am

The turrets fit perfectly into the cardboard from the center of a duct tape roll. Don't spend money on turret holders

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SixPointEight wrote:
The turrets fit perfectly into the cardboard from the center of a duct tape roll. Don't spend money on turret holders

Pro-Tip!

Yeah I didn't buy mine. Got them out of a cardboard box, with FREE written on the flap. I left a bunch for other people too!! :bigsmile: :thumbsup2: :ROFLMAO:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]