Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Reaming VS Swaging 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pros?
Cons?

What do you do? Prefer it why?

Ive been loading lots of military brass with crimped pockets. I have a Lyman Case prep Express.

It seems to work fine. I ream them them and then square them up.

Any benefit to swaging instead?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Some people say the brass lasts longer when swaged. I'm not sure I believe it. I prefer reaming because it's faster and easier, and I haven't had brass life issues doing it that way

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I refuse to cut metal out of my case head when I can just push it back where it belongs.

I quit reaming a long time ago and won't use anything but the Dillon Super Swage tool. If all you want to do is a couple hundred pieces of crimped brass and that's enough for the next 10 years, I guess reaming is OK. I sit down to swage 5.56 Nato brass in batches of 1,000. Average 10 cases per minute (6 seconds per to place case on anvil, lower to swaging position, swage, raise anvil, remove case and give it a qiick visual inspection). That's 500-600 per hour (depending on number of "Pit Stops") and my arm doesn't get anywhere near as tired as using a press.

Now if the real reason one doesn't want to use a Super Swage is it's price, find one for sale online. Buy it, swage your batch of brass, then offer it up for sale just like the way you bought it. Lots of people do that rather than sit on their $100 investment. Me? I just keep adding more and more brass to my collection as it shows up FREE at my range. Haven't done a recent inventory but I have boxes and boxes of prepped brass and several 50 cal cans filled with loaded 5.56mm in strippers. I have three hungry AR's to keep fed. :) :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
I refuse to cut metal out of my case head when I can just push it back where it belongs.

I quit reaming a long time ago and won't use anything but the Dillon Super Swage tool. If all you want to do is a couple hundred pieces of crimped brass and that's enough for the next 10 years, I guess reaming is OK. I sit down to swage 5.56 Nato brass in batches of 1,000. Average 10 cases per minute (6 seconds per to place case on anvil, lower to swaging position, swage, raise anvil, remove case and give it a qiick visual inspection). That's 500-600 per hour (depending on number of "Pit Stops") and my arm doesn't get anywhere near as tired as using a press.

Now if the real reason one doesn't want to use a Super Swage is it's price, find one for sale online. Buy it, swage your batch of brass, then offer it up for sale just like the way you bought it. Lots of people do that rather than sit on their $100 investment. Me? I just keep adding more and more brass to my collection as it shows up FREE at my range. Haven't done a recent inventory but I have boxes and boxes of prepped brass and several 50 cal cans filled with loaded 5.56mm in strippers. I have three hungry AR's to keep fed. :) :)

THis can help with speed also

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ream the crimps in mine. Deburring tool chucked in the drill press is the fastest way I know to do it. With a good rhythm, 2-3 seconds per case is all it takes. I just turn the press on and ream a few hundred at a time.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]