Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Analysis of a 45-70 cartridge hand load from 1955 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fun topic I wanted to write about, and how I got sucked into BPCR.

This is about a man I used to discuss the Korean War at length with while we were blessed with his present on this earth. Let’s call him Mike for this discussion.

Mike was a Infantryman in the Army during the Korean War. A vet shot in the back during the retrea...errrrr, strategic fall back of the Chosen Reservoir around December of 1950 in North Korea. He received what the medics called a “Lucky” shot, through the back, between two ribs, and exit out the chest. The result was two holes and a punctured lung. No bone fragmentation that could have proven fatal. His son said this:
"Dad was shot through his lung cavity missing his lung as the shot went through him during an exhale otherwise he probably would have drown in the blood from his lungs bleeding.In his back and out his shoulder...armour piercing round.The only handicap was a shortened tendon and he couldn't hold his arm above his head tight up to his ear...almost but no quite......Disability check was like $75. that was the same as their house payment at the time. North Koren helped to pay for my parents house dad used to joke ...LoL"

The war was over for Mike. He returned to Tacoma WA to become a very successful Wood Shop teacher for the Tacoma school district for over 30 years.

Upon return to Tacoma once he healed, Mike and his brother purchased two Springfield Trapdoors from a Mil Surp store in Tacoma near the Ft. Lewis base. Mike maintained possession of his trapdoor until his death in the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century however his brother’s was stolen from his home.
My good friend had his father’s rifle properly stored in a safe for years. He said his dad was a reloader and caster back in the day. They shot muzzleloaders , BPCR and pistols as sport.

I was privileged to pay for and accept Mike’s rifle from my good friend recently when he moved to Oz in 2013. The rifle was in beautiful condition and Keith (Trapdoor Keith when he was alive) gave me extensive history on the firearm saying it came from the Oregon National Guard(1894) and declared surplus sometime after that. How accurate Keith's information, I do not know. But it was part of the story I did not know.

I decided to pull apart one of the bullets his father made that came with this aquisition. Best I can tell, sometime between 1951 and 1965 these bullets were made when he was actively reloading/casting and shooting. He had at least 80 rounds like this.

The first thing I noticed was a fine thin film of lacquer (assumed) peeling off these primer. The winchester brass , well, I'm unsure of the date but it is in great shape. I do not know the year but I would guess it's from between 1925 and 1960.

The 500 grain bullet I pulled apart. (which weighed 525 gr)

I know that Mike used this powder back in his day as it came with the rifle and bullets. Matter of fact, I tested this powder and it was fit for shooting.

Photo of the powder after pulling the bullet. Not much crushing, in very good shape.

Photo of the bullet, and lube, still in tact, if not darked by the ages.

The bullet weighed in at 523 gr.

A modern day bullet by Dan the Bullet Man in 500 gr, weighs in at 528 gr. For the record, my 500 gr Lyman mold (457125) casts at 510 grs with 20-1.

3 bullets. Top is topic bullet. Middle is Bull Shop bullet. Bottom is my cast bullet (waiting on SPG lube in the mail!)

And his two bullet types, as they were.

These are my test bullets (Both Lyman molds) I am testing with others in various crimp/BP/Smokeless configurations.

Mike himself, doing what he loved to do! Teach woodworking!

Mike's rifle (Which I am in possession of)

I think somewhere up there, he's looking down and smiling at me. I feel that spirit!

Hi son said:
"The only handicap was a shortened tendon and he couldn't hold his arm above his head tight up to his ear...almost but no quite......Disability check was like $75. that was the same as their house payment at the time. North Koren helped to pay for my parents house dad used to joke ...LoL"

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great write-up and pics. Thanks for the story. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:48 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Nice story Brian. :cheers2:
We're not here for long. I am already planning for how to distribute the Tools of Freedom to the coming generations.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great post! I really enjoyed it!!!

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:54 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

A beautiful story and a beautiful rifle. Thanks for sharing, Brian.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great writeup

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interesting.

Mike looks like my wood shop teacher!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Gents.
Pablo, Did you go to Lincoln? That's where he taught in the 60's and 70's.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No those years my life was in So Cal. Wood shop teacher was Mike Gaudio.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:31 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing. Great write-up and those photos really helped tell the story.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:58 am
Profile WWW

Before the 45/70 was brought back in the 70s, UMC (Union Metallic Cartridge went out of business in 1936, which was the end of store bought ammo until the 1970s. Me thinks your stuff is older than you think.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike had 45-70 molds and dies ( Ideal) which I sold off 3 years ago never expecting to be reloading and casting my own later!
I believe the brass it from 1920's or so based on the stamping and searching around on the web.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]