Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Sticky bullets. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went to reload some 208 gr 300 BO, and the bullet stuck in the die when I lowered the case. What did I screw up?

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
I went to reload some 208 gr 300 BO, and the bullet stuck in the die when I lowered the case. What did I screw up?

Was it the seating die? The right caliber? I have stuck numerous cases, but never a bullet in a seating die.
Got any more details?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may have solved the problem. I jacked up the seating die when I tried t seat a bullet with it causing it to get bent. So I need a new seating piece. :facepalm2: :gibbs:

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
I may have solved the problem. I jacked up the seating die when I tried t seat a bullet with it causing it to get bent. So I need a new seating piece. :facepalm2: :gibbs:

Was it a spire point cup or a round nose style in the die?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:

How in the world did you do that, try and seat the bullet partly sideways :bigsmile:

What brand of die?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

half the fun of reloading is fixing your machine when it breaks. thumbsup

Divided we fall.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

How in the world did you do that, try and seat the bullet partly sideways :bigsmile:

What brand of die?

Hornady, the die that forms the neck is bent. So I guess it jacked up the necks.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

What brand of die?

Hornady, the die that forms the neck is bent. So I guess it jacked up the necks.

Take the de-capping rod out of your sizing die and see if you can just straighten it. If not, call Hornady. I did this once when trying to get a stuck case out of the die and they just sent me a new rod with button and pin. I seriously doubt you hurt the die body.

Are you sure it's not just the sliding "seater plug" in the seating die that's "flubbered up"?

Before calling Hornady, remove the de-capping rod as I suggested earlier and size a case. Then inspect the neck. It will be too small in ID but you'll see if the die is causing damage. If not then just spin the rod in a drill to see if it's bent.

If OK, move on to the seating die. There are two parts in the Hornady seater. A sliding "Chamber" which just holds the case square as it's joining the bullet which is then pushed in with a seater plug. The die is built just like a lot of High End Competition Seaters using the old Bonanza die design. Remove the sliding chamber and see if you have any crap stuck in the neck portion. These parts are pretty stout and hard to "jack up".

I have several sets of them and like them for their consistency with simplicity. Priced right too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]