Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Prettiest brass EVER 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, mine is actually on Google Drive so I can access it from my phone as well . . . but I didn't. :(

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have my loads on a notebook hanging on the bench... dont have to open a computer with my dirty hands

Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After screwing up ONCE, I have my load data: on the computer, copy sent to my phone, and a printed copy in the storage box with my reloading tools. Then I separated all loads by die set, printed data for every load I use with those dies, and put a copy inside the case for the dies. But I swear my wife and daughter are liars-I'm not OCD!

Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparently that little PS-90 is Tough! icon_eek The case rims had wipe marks where the extractor was engaged. Blew the extractor right over the rims.
Tough little rifle, no harm done. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:
Your problem isn't cases or extractor spring. It's called "PRESSURE".

In the picture you posted earlier the reloaded cartridges looked a little strange. Is there a flare at the case mouth? Or is it just an illusion. Are the bullets seated out as far as they can be so the COAL's are even (if they aren't already)?

Sticky cases on extraction are a major sign of too much pressure. Maybe you should turn the wick down a little.

As for laquer finish, if anything it's been noted for causing cases to stick as it "melts" in the chamber under firing heat.

Re-work your load, starting a lot lower and you should be golden.

Well, my friend . . . this is the second time I have typed this reply. The first one started off something like this: "I know you know your stuff, but I'm familiar with this load. I loaded this with 6.2 grains of powder, which is a normal charge. I have tested this load with charges ranging up to . . ." and at that point I went off to look at my records to see how high I've taken it.

icon_eek

Back story (read: excuse): When I loaded these rounds, my computer was in the middle of an hours-long installation of Windows 10. I wasn't able to get to my reloading data, but I was confident of the charge so I loaded from memory.

Well, I fucked up. Badly. The charge was supposed to be 5.2 grains, not 6.2. I have tested it up to 5.6 grains in the past, but I haven't taken it this high.

Ok, so the experiment is still on. Back to the loading bench . . . with data in hand, this time. :facepalm2:

Don't feel bad. I've had issues with "charge weight dyslexia" myself. I now write all my load data for a given batch on some old Floppy Disk stick on labels I found laying around and also record the data in a spiral notebook which is my "failsafe log".

Computers are nice but I find them to be "cantankerous" at times and it's just easier to "flip the page" or look on the ammo box.

Glad your issue was only "sticky cases" rather than something worse. :shocked4:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those look fake.
You have rhinestones on your mags?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:14 am

Wow that is some shines brass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The shine on the brass looks perfectly normal to me. All my brass looks like that. I never had any problems with Lemishine, it's pretty much the standard. Dawn works pretty good with nasty old brass, but leaves no coating, same with the Eviro friendly dish soap I have used. Most of the car soaps with wax work great, especially with second time or new factory ammo brass the first time through.

The reason I'm commenting: Simple Green, Orange Cleaner, Purple stuff, . DON'T USE IT IN YOUR WET TUMBLER. I have warning posts around the web, but maybe not here. It takes some of the black rubber off the tumbler and coats it on your brass.

Here is one: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.p ... ght=simple

Ultimately Simple Green in a separate bucket helped me save that batch, but never again in the tumbler.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:25 am

Never understood the fascination with the shiny brass I clean and shoot. But None the less it's shines

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:29 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brownell's recipe from the early 80s called for Brownell's degreaser, Dawn
and a squirt of "Real-lemon" juice. In our shop that has evolved into Simple Green,
citric acid crystals (that's all Lemishine is) and Costco's cheapest laundry detergent.
It works better in plastic tumblers than rubber Thumler's Tumblers drums, but even those
work well MOST of the time. And even the worst failures in those (when the rubber is
dissolved and coats the brass) can be fixed with further tumbling.

Pink comes from excess application of citric acid, or excess time in the acid solution.
Use less acid and you can tumbler longer. Brass sitting motionless in the solution seems to
promote pink.

For JEWELRY from your tumbler, wet wash with soap and water (without pins) for 20 minutes, dump
and rinse, then do your regular wet tumbling. Dirty brass contains insoluble abrasives
which can 'bead blast' the brass (especially pistol brass) and the first wash removes those abrasives.

If there are minerals in your final rinse water, you can towel dry the outsides of
your brass to prevent spotting. I'm experimenting with distilled water and/or dishwashing
liquids that guarantee spot-free drying.

Steve, our customers won't buy wet tumbled FN5.7 brass from us. We scrap it.
I hope you discover/develop a cure!

Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I hear rumors of Lemishine in the stores, but I never saw it. The closest I found was the liquid stuff at Walmart, which is apparently not the right product.

I bought mine from Amazon.

Lowes carries Lemishine, 3.99. fyi

Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:54 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Massivedesign wrote:
But how did it fire in your Five-Seven pistol? Oh wait, you don't have one? Well, now you have a reason to buy one... 96 ROUNDS!

All right, fucker . . . now I own one. :thumbsup2:

Today I tested two of these rounds (with the correct charge, 5.2 grains). Neither one extracted.

Conclusion: FAIL. At least for the Five-seveN.

I did get them to function in the PS90 in a range trip some time ago, but I was having some issues with mags too. I need to get back out there and re-test in the PS90, there might be hope with that platform.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wasn't aware 5.7 needed a lacquer finish to function/extract, even though it's brass.

Are there any other calibers like this?

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blaze.45 wrote:
I wasn't aware 5.7 needed a lacquer finish to function/extract, even though it's brass.

Are there any other calibers like this?

Not that I've ever seen.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about this one? ohhh... you said BRass

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next