Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:16 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Case prep 

MadPick wrote:
velillen wrote:
The biggest thing to remember is that if you shoot say 500 rounds of 308 a year (talking bolt gun here) then it could take a good 4-5 shootings before needing to trim. Least thats about what i get on my 308.

How do you know whether it needs to be trimmed or not? Do you measure each one?

With the Giraud, it's just as fast to trim the piece of brass as it is to measure it . . . and then you have consistent brass, every time, no question about it.

Yeah, this is all subjective and it's a judgment call for everyone to make. But, "buy once cry once" is a lesson that I think we've all learned, and I think it's really easy to "go cheap" on reloading equipment but blow cash on stuff that gets us excited like the guns themselves. I think it's worth it to take a step back, spend some of that money on the reloading equipment and make your life just a little bit easier. thumbsup

I know my rifle and keep track of the brass. Trim to 2.005 and each firing it grows .001-.002. I measure one or two pieces after resizing and know where it stands. Once any piece of brass hits over the 2.010 mark it gets 1 more firing and then trim. I only shoot 308 out of one rifle though. 223 I do the same but check a few more pieces. Just a matter of knowing how much the brass grows. I haven't noticed any accuracy loss that I can positively say is due to length of brass. I'll shoot one group at .5 inch then the next is 2 inches lol.

The giruad is great and I'll be getting one. But it's all about getting what suits you best. The wft and rcbs trimmer with three way cutter have worked great for me. The rcbs is great to start with and will still see plenty of use by me even with the giraud. I shoot so little 30/06, 45/70, 458socom (soon for this at least) that the rcbs works perfect and will always have a place on my bench.

It's all about buying what one can afford and fits the needs. Hard to beat the rcbs type trimmers for value and use. Hard to beat the giraud for quality

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Giraud is great, I have one but I would say great on two conditions:
First is quantity. 300 minimum a month every month and this is useful tool. Best if your doing 1,000's a month.
Second, budget considerations. I bought mine several years ago and really had to choke down the expense but its "buy once, cry once". Re-sale value is excellent!

The Giraud indexes from the shoulder of the case, so getting really precise trim lengths going to depend on getting consistent sizing and set back of the shoulders. I'm not sure that is a consideration for most reloaders. The precision shooter is going to slow down and do everything by hand anyway.

Edit to address the OP: I would look at the WFT worlds finest trimmer if I didn't have the Giraud. I've owned and sold the RCBS trim tool.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The WFT is a good trimmer. You should also look at the CTS trimmer if you want a more economical solution. I bought from him when he used to be only on ebay. Now he has his own store.

http://www.ctstrimmer.com/case-trimmers ... immer.html

Like the other trimmers, it indexes from the shoulder, so consistent sizing is your friend. Once it's set up in the drill press, I can size hundreds in a very short period of time.

If I had to do it over again, I would still by the CTS trimmer.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
unknownghost wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
I just picked up a three way RCBS trim head, it cost 50 bucks and you can interchange pilots for different calibers for 8 bucks. The reviews look very promising. I have not tried it yet, but will write back when I do.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145038 ... uctFinding

Let me know how you like it, been thinking about getting one until I can afford a Giraud.

I have two of the RCBS 3-way cutters. I like them . . . anything that takes the chamfering/deburring out of the equation is a good thing. thumbsup

That said . . . $50 is a big chunk of the cost of a Giraud. See where this comment is headed? :ROFLMAO:

I use the 3-Way cutter on my RCBS Trimmer and love it. I started loving it even more when I changed out the main cutter with a carbide one. Easier to cut with fewer turns per case.

As for the "Case Prep Centers"??? To me they are merely a "gadget". Most of the things they do are best done with dedicated "tools" and other things they do are only done once in the life of the case (removing crimps, uniforming primer pockets, etc).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found an RCBS case prep station at a garage sale, so it was worth the $50 I paid for it.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dogfish wrote:
I found an RCBS case prep station at a garage sale, so it was worth the $50 I paid for it.

At that price it was worth it. At the regular price, not a chance.

BTW: For those who are thinking of buying one, ask yourself why they are selling cheap at garage sales.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:01 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

deadshot2 wrote:
BTW: For those who are thinking of buying one, ask yourself why they are selling cheap at garage sales.

And try to remember the last time you saw a used Giraud trimmer for sale. :bigsmile:

OK, I'm done. For now.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

And try to remember the last time you saw a used Giraud trimmer for sale. :bigsmile:

OK, I'm done. For now.

I rest my case.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The old guy died.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:38 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

dogfish wrote:
The old guy died.

Eh? Who died?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The old guy with the case prep station, it was an estate sale. He didn't sell it out of lack of utility as implied by Deadshot. "BTW: For those who are thinking of buying one, ask yourself why they are selling cheap at garage sales."

Everybody processes brass a little differently. Equipment "needed" is driven by a person's pocketbook, amount of brass needed to process, and the value of their time. There are probably a few other variables out there as well.

I have the Dillon RT1200 trimmer, plus both Lyman and RCBS case trimmers converted to drill power. Toss in a few three way cutter heads and other related tools, and I easily have $500-750 invested in case trimming related accessories. I've had these machines for quite a while, and then I heard of the Giraud trimmer. Sure, I could buy another machine, but I already have a number of machines that effectively do the job. If one breaks, I'll certainly take a look at the Giraud, but until then I don't see a need to buy a machine that duplicates the process of the ones I already own.

For those just starting out in reloading remember this. There are many paths to the same destination. If your processed cases produce wickedly accurate ammo, you did it on the cheap, and your happy with the process, there is no need to try and keep up with the Joneses.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2