Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:37 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Dedicated depriming press? 

redfred wrote:
brian wrote:
I deprime using a universal depriming die so that I don't get my resizing dies dirty from the uncleaned brass.

then tumble it all in stainless media

I use a lee turret press, and prime on press.

Ditto except I use an inexpensive single stage press with universal depriming die. Works Great and keeps my turret press alot cleaner. Also can decap different calibers without changing dies in the turret. Simply change the shell holder.

That's the setup I use. The amount of shmutz that comes from the decapping process is amazing and I'm more than happy to keep that out of my progressive.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tumble w/SS media.
For rifle brass, I tumble, decap, resize and then tumble again.
For Pistol, I tumble, decap, resize, bellmouth and load.

Everything gets cleaned before it touches my dies. Only my rifle primer pockets get cleaned and this is only because my son shoots competition, so we want everything exactly the same round to round. Well, I do the same for plinking rounds too. . . .

Jack

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dillon 650 with a Lee universal decapping die. Unless you run a 1050, you cannot process this much brass. Polish tumble after decapping.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:25 pm

Rusoarmo wrote:
Anyone here that uses stainless media to tumble, do you have a dedicated depriming press? I guess this really is directed at those who don't use a single stage already.

I have the Lee Turret and am considering picking up one of these cheap Lee presses to be dedicated for depriming. Nothing else.
http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/l ... ader-press

I also came across this nifty little tool that seems great for watching TV and depriming. Having a bucket of the old primed brass to your left, trash can between your legs and deprimed container to the right. Grab, deprime into trash, throw into fresh bucket.
http://www.harveydeprimer.com

Thoughts? How do you gents go about it?

Oddly enough that little press is cheaper at Cabelas. I'm kind of thinking something similar but almost like the idea of depriming/sizing then tumbling better, like was mentioned already by someone. I thought i read somewhere that it was frowned upon to size before cleaning though, but then some people say it doesn't matter.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me it depends on what I'm processing as to which press I use. If it's .223 I lube up the cases and run them through my XL650 that has a universal Depriming die in Station one, a Rapid Trim sizing/trimming die in station 4 and a mandrel type expander in station 5. Fill the case feeder and start cranking.

I then tumble the cases in SS Media prior to loading.

The sizing die gets cleaned periodically but shows no signs of scratching or wear. If my cases are really dirty they get a "slosh bath" in a 5 gallon bucket and then left overnight to dry before processing. The dirt, sand, and gravel, are removed this way.

For 9mm cases I have an old lee Progressive that's worthless for actual loading. I have a .223 shellplate installed and a universal depriming die. I fill the four tubes with cases and pull the handle. As I pull with one hand I drop cases into the tube as it empties. If I get behind I switch to a full tube and just keep on going.

The Lee Progressive is a better "depriming" press than a "loading press". That is unless you want to pre-prime all your cases first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2