Post up your tips, tricks, load data and setups here.
Post a reply

FART wrench

Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:33 pm

Well I had finally had enough of using that old worn out strap wrench to take off the endcap of the big FART, with my arthritic hands it is a major PITA.
So I started making some sawdust and wood chips in the shop for the first time this year.
I’m frugal and decided to make a copy of the 3D printed models I’ve been seeing on fleebay. Easy enough, I have everything needed at hand so I got busy.

I used some pieces of 3/4” cabinet grade plywood, the remnants of the 4 x 8 sheet that I built Ayla’s casket from last year so it has a lot of meaning to me.
I traced out the cap, did a rough sketch for the handle then center punched starter holes, drilled 5/32” holes at each rib and drilled a 3/8 inch hole to facilitate the start or the inside cut. All going well, I was just trying to pay attention to the jigsaw and not fudge up too much.
I used the 6x48” belt for the outside edge sanding/smoothing the rough cuts and a drill press mounted sander for the inside edge. I’ll eventually get a Delta Boss spindle sander soon, maybe for my birthday.
It’s been a while since I used the fairy new Dewalt jigsaw and it shows, some people call it character but I call it functionally Fuggly.
I made two and the first attempt officially became the backup. It’s the first prototype so craftsmanship should improve, I hope.

Ugghhhh

C5C2C495-6037-4A26-B292-3CD1B6F90691.jpeg

92511871-96DE-4BAE-8B9F-0F7D38D55137.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: FART wrench

Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:41 pm

Great Job Jim! I bet you could sell those things. You could call it the "Ayla" wrench in memory of your Pup.

Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:36 pm

Good for you, Jim. Now that's a practical project!

You'll feel like a stud every time you use that wrench. thumbsup

Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:42 pm

awesome jim, now get that patient :bigsmile:

Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:26 pm

Thanks guys. John, that’s an interesting idea for a name, thanks. :thumbsup2:
Steve, it’ll be so much easier than trying to wrestle with a midget with that strap wrench. :rofl9:
Chris, We don need no stinking patents. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah eventually I want to get set up with a CNC operation making signs, woodworking jigs and all things I have experience building by hand. And each one will look the same unlike my attempt at fine woodworking. :popcorn:

Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:57 am

Great idea Caveman, I need to make one of them up.
Sometimes they are a PITA to open up.
As much brass that I tumble one of them wood wrench would make things easier.

Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:21 am

Is that the sound you make when turning the wrench? What does FART stand for?

Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:43 am

jukk0u wrote:Is that the sound you make when turning the wrench? What does FART stand for?
Looks like it's for Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler

Doesn't look like it would fit me, a Fat Ass Retired Trucker

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:15 am

1811GNR wrote:
jukk0u wrote:Is that the sound you make when turning the wrench? What does FART stand for?

Thanks. Yep that’s what it stands for. :thumbsup2:

It’s amazing that Ole Jim, the facilitator of numerous acronyms, did not know this. Oh well I don’t mind educating him. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:21 am

Caveman Jim wrote:
1811GNR wrote:

It’s amazing that Ole Jim, the facilitator of numerous acronyms, did not know this. Oh well I don’t mind educating him. :ROFLMAO:

FML, old Jim, I'm not as mentally nimble as I used to be! (or as nimble as I used to believe I was)

Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:30 pm

This is a cheap alternative to buying the real deal off of eBay.
I had to put blocking in a shower at a house we are remodeling and low &behold there was a smallsquare of 3/4" of plywood in the trash can.
I grabbed it and traced the pattern out and made one this afternoon.
It works GREAT.
THANK YOU, CAVEMAN.
I free handed my pattern, next couple will be more precise, I know you are OCD.
THANK YOU BUDDY

Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:05 pm

1811GNR wrote:

:ROFLMAO:

Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:27 pm

jukk0u wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
1811GNR wrote:

FML, old Jim, I'm not as mentally nimble as I used to be! (or as nimble as I used to believe I was)

It’s “I’m as good as I ever was”. It’s all good Jimbo.:wink05:

Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:32 pm

DoveRelease wrote:This is a cheap alternative to buying the real deal off of eBay.
I had to put blocking in a shower at a house we are remodeling and low &behold there was a smallsquare of 3/4" of plywood in the trash can.
I grabbed it and traced the pattern out and made one this afternoon.
It works GREAT.
THANK YOU, CAVEMAN.
I free handed my pattern, next couple will be more precise, I know you are OCD.
THANK YOU BUDDY

Good to hear Patrick. You done good. Good talking to you today.
I’m so thankful that my dad showed me how to do work with my hands to create useful and sometimes stunning things.

Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:24 am

I have to head up to Burlington for a few hours here shortly for work, when I get back home I have some brass to tumble in the FART. The home made FART wrench will be useful on taking the cap off of the tumbler canister.
Post a reply