Switch to full style
Post up your tips, tricks, load data and setups here.
Post a reply

Newb question about brass

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:02 pm

So I’ve been reloading for about a year, pretty much completely self taught (thanks to everyone that posts experiences and YouTube howtos [emoji23]). I’ve learned a lot and figured out even more. Something I’ve figured out thanks to the insanity of the last few years is that range brass from our classified section is a wallet saver!!

I started working on reloading .223 recently (so far I’ve mostly just done 9mm and .45 Auto). I just cleaned, deprimed, sized, and trimmed like 300 cases. While trimming and inspecting the brass I noticed that quite a few have a small 1-2mm dent at on the halfway point of the brass.

My question is this, should I toss the cases that have this dent in them or are they safe to use?? I assume it was made by some quirk of the rifle that shot it. [emoji2369]

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

Sorry the pictures aren’t great but I tried to show the dent as best I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Newb question about brass

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:05 pm

The dent is from ejection from a semi-auto rifle. It's not an issue, and no reason to get rid of that brass. Load away.

Same goes for minor dents in case necks as well; although crushed necks or sharp creases are bad, most of the common case neck dents you see get sized out just fine and are safe to load.

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:20 pm

Awesome!! I was figuring it might be the ejection port but didn’t want to sound ignorant if I was way off base lol.

Thanks for letting me know that it’s safe to use. I figured better safe than sorry so might as well ask [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:42 pm

Yondering wrote:The dent is from ejection from a semi-auto rifle. It's not an issue, and no reason to get rid of that brass. Load away.

Same goes for minor dents in case necks as well; although crushed necks or sharp creases are bad, most of the common case neck dents you see get sized out just fine and are safe to load.

Big +1 to all of that!

Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:02 pm

Load it, shoot it and forget about it.

I've reloaded and shot some really dented up cases .
Post a reply