Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Any Quick Load Users on the Forum? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Considering to purchase Neco QuickLoad software after Christmas to do some load evaluation. Wondering if we have any users on the forum that might be willing to share their thoughts on it.

I am thinking to use it for evaluation of different powders for 22 Hornet (currently using Vihtavuori 3N37), 7mm TCU (currently using IMR 4895), 7mm Remington BenchRest (currently using IMR 4895). Also I'd like to evaluate different powders for 38 Special 158gr LRN loads. There I'm currently using Unique which works very well but is dirty, dirty, dirty.

Also most particularly I'd like to do some evaluation of custom loads in 38 Short Colt currently trending towards VV N320 topped with 158gr LRN bullets for use in Steels Challenge, ICORE, and USPSA competitions here locally.

Does the software allow one to project expected chamber pressures with various bullet weights and powders for a given cartridge? In other words, can it dynamically model theoretical pressures for wildcat loadings or does it simply rely on a database of recommended loadings from various powder manufacturers?

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Send Lunacite a PM.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I have QuickLoad and I use it every once in a while. I'm not accomplished with it, but I can do the basics.

It has a database of powders. You pick your cartridge, your powder, your charge weight, your bullet type (from library, or you can build your own), your OAL and a few other factors. It then predicts velocity and pressure.

I'm going to be pretty much out of commission for a few days, but come the end of the week if you don't have the answers you need, maybe we can do a live demo on Google Hangouts or something, and I can show you how it works.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Yes, I have QuickLoad and I use it every once in a while. I'm not accomplished with it, but I can do the basics.

It has a database of powders. You pick your cartridge, your powder, your charge weight, your bullet type (from library, or you can build your own), your OAL and a few other factors. It then predicts velocity and pressure.

I'm going to be pretty much out of commission for a few days, but come the end of the week if you don't have the answers you need, maybe we can do a live demo on Google Hangouts or something, and I can show you how it works.

Thanks Steve that helps a lot understand how the program works. Money's pretty tight and before I drop the coin on the software am wondering if it can calculate a theoretical velocity and pressure for the following load:
38 Short Colt Starline brass
Federal Small Pistol Match Primer
Vihtavuori N310 or preferably N320 say 2.8gr or 3.0gr
158gr LRN .358" diameter
OAL say 1.180" or 1.20"

Don't necessarily need the detailed results, just curious if it's capable of calculating theoretical velocity and pressure for that kind of load. If so, I'd go ahead and pick up a copy so I can play around with the parameters to come up with a conservatively safe starting load for experimentation in my 627 revolver.

Absolutely no rush as not something am thinking to buy until after the New Years. Happy holidays hope you enjoy time with family.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]