Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Weatherby Magnum 7mm from other 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can I use 300 wby brass and make it into 7mm brass? Full length resize and from is all to do?

Same for going from 270 wby to 7mm?

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I checked the case dimensions and 270 is almost exactly the same as 7mm. The 300 is slightly longer than 7mm so some trimming is in order.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
I checked the case dimensions and 270 is almost exactly the same as 7mm. The 300 is slightly longer than 7mm so some trimming is in order.

You've got it. Flaring the case will make your neck thin, you might have a bit more h2o capacity in that brass. Reducing the diameter will have the opposite effect. Keep this in mind while you work towards a book max load, but it's totally reasonable and functional.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How much 7mm brass do you need?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
How much 7mm brass do you need?

I just got 20 of the 270 and 20 of the 300. I'd like another 20 and that should hold me for a couple years.

I don't shoot that rifle very much and I've already worked up several loads optimized for accuracy (very whippy barrel). Looking at another bullet to optimize and then just hunting.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I worked on a 300 case and got it down to the correct dimensions but the neck is too thick (OldJim called it - need to ream or turn down for proper thickness).

Also got some funky marks around the shoulder - looks sort of scalloped. I will fire form it and if the case shapes up then I'll do the other 19 pieces.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got 20 of each ill trade you for a beer.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
I got 20 of each ill trade you for a beer.

20 7mm Weatherby magnum brass for a beer? How about home made hard apple cider?

Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even better.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huh, trimmed the 300 Why case down very close to 7mm Wby length. Full length resized with neck expander removed - neck OD is 0.307. Final trimmed to 2.545 ... will not chamber.

The shoulder looks to be in the wrong place (1.820 instead of 1.787). That's quite a lot of wrong.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:

Also got some funky marks around the shoulder - looks sort of scalloped. I will fire form it and if the case shapes up then I'll do the other 19 pieces.

Sounds like the brass is relatively hard. You may need to anneal it. Wssm brass is that way as well, it's the only way to stretch a .223 neck to fit a .257 bullet

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
Huh, trimmed the 300 Why case down very close to 7mm Wby length. Full length resized with neck expander removed - neck OD is 0.307. Final trimmed to 2.545 ... will not chamber.

The shoulder looks to be in the wrong place (1.820 instead of 1.787). That's quite a lot of wrong.

Try marking your neck with a sharpie and attempt to chamber again, then check the marks. It's worth noting if your shoulder is the issue or if it's actually another issue, as technically you can headspace on the belt or the shoulder with a belted magnum. I say technically just to not get into that debate right now.

What kind of dies are you using? Is the 300 brass new or once fired?

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RCBS dies . New brass.

Very bizzare ... the sharpied case shows no marks. I jammed it really good and got the bolt to close. The case mouth is bent like it has pressed into something.

Verified case length is a bit short.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tried another one ...

Still hard to chamber but now the case body crumpled ...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

can you post some more pictures? It's hard to see in the one you posted above.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next