Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:34 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 New Hornady Ammo Plant Owner Need Help with Complete Setup. 

Hi My Name is Chad I live in Montesano Wa. I have had the complete ammo plant setup for a year and each time i sit down to tackle the start up of reloading I become concerned I am missing something or my powder drop fails in one way or another. Buying more parts is not an issue if I need them. I am looking for someone experienced with the Ammo plant to come over and get me rolling. I will provide a lunch, beer, soda, monster whatever you like. I just want a helping hand. I have read and read online forums about all parts but not much seems to have the info on the issues I have run into. Thanks.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:27 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chad, I can understand your frustration. Reloading setups can be finicky, and of course it's pretty important that the final product be correct.

In case you're not able to get someone to come over, feel free to post up specific questions. Include details about what you're loading, what trouble you're having, and photos if appropriate. Many of us use Hornady equipment, and there's a lot of commonality with issues between different brands so I bet you could get some good help.

I have a Hornady LNL, but not the whole ammo plant setup.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:23 am

Ok thank You

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first thing you should do with it is tear it down and bring it to my place for further study. Once I master the operation of the device I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. :bigsmile:

Seriously though just take the plunge. Start small. Any time you load with a new bullet weight/brand/profile, powder, primer, etc, load around 5-10 rounds and test fire them. If your firearm likes them, game on!

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:13 pm

Im sure you would not mind ArmedBear. My issue is not the loads themselves I just can not get the whole operation to function well for more than a few rounds.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the same setup minus the bullet feeder. Your set up can be made to run well, but the bullet feeder will occasionally feed one backwards so watch for that. I prefer to use a powder check die so I probably won't add a bullet feeder. The biggest problem with any progressive press is the the priming system. They will work for a while and then get hung up. It doesn't take much to jamb it. I decided to remove that step and hand prime before I load. I get a better feel if the primer pocket is getting loose and I need to toss a shell. I sit and watch tv while priming. 500 to a thousand goes quick. Rcbs makes a nice hand primer and its under $50 with a couple different she'll holders. Removing the priming step makes it much simpler for you as a newer reloader with this system. You might even try leaving out the bullet feeder at first. Once you get every thing else going smooth then add a step such as the bullet feeder or if you want to use the priming system. You might even just put a shell in front of the slide one at a time instead of worrying about the shell feeding system. Start by putting one shell and then cycle it through a complete load and then do another until you work out each station. Once one runs through smooth try doing two together and then add the shell feeder. Keep distractions to a minimum with this system. It's easy to get distracted and not complete a stroke and end up with a squib or no crimp ect.

Like MadPick said. Post up info. One of us should be able to help

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:40 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scorpion rider mentioned disabling the case and bullet feeders at first. I think that's a good idea. Once everything is functioning smoothly, you can turn them back on, one at a time.

Whenever I set up the press for a run of ammo, I do it one step at a time.

I put in the sizing die, and make sure it's adjusted correctly.
Then I put in primers, and make sure it's priming correctly.
Then the belling die, if I'm using one, and make sure it's working.
Then the powder drop, and get that adjusted.
Then the powder cop, if I'm using one.
And finally, the major bitch for some calibers, the seat/crimp die.

I use the same one or two cases to test all of these, so I wind up with 1-2 rounds of ammo by the time it's all done.

One of the nice things about the Hornady system, compared to the Dillon and others, is the ability to pop out each die individually. Take advantage of that. Until you have die #1 working, leave #2, 3, 4, etc. on the bench. One step at a time.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:53 pm

Ok That sounds like a dandy start. I was going to take down my ammo plant and set up my single stage so I could get each die in spec. then put it all into the ammo plant. I think thats what I will do.

Again thanks all for the input.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Practicing on the single stage will certainly make it easier. Note that you still may need to readjust the dies when you move them to the LNL, however.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Chad,
Similar to MadPick here in that I have LnL AP but not the whole case/bullet automatic feeder setup... Just the basic press. My recommendation also would be to get some mileage without the automatic feeders. I load 9mm and 38 special turning out maybe a thousand rounds or so a month. A couple things I've struggled with:
- Sometimes cases don't feed/enter smoothly into the sizing die. Have to twiddle the case with fingers to get it too feed properly. Watch out you don't crush your fingers.
- Sometimes primers don't seat properly (high primers). I can usually feel this now when moving load lever to forward position for primer seating. Can usually get a stubborn primer to seat properly by jiggling case around in the station. Also sometimes this is a result of the indexing pawls not being set properly causing the shellplate not to index all the way into correct position for primer seating.
- Sometimes powder measure gets stuck in 'up' position and fails to throw charge. This is pretty dangerous condition if left undetected for even a single cartridge as can result in squib load(s). Recommend the use of a Hornady or RCBS powder check die which will lock up the press in case of no charge (squib) or excess powder charge.
- Sometimes completed round has trouble ejecting from last station. Just need to work this out with fingers. Also keep the ejection track clear of debris such as powder, lead shavings, etc.

My die setup is as follows:
- Station 1 = Redding sizing die
- Station 2 = Hornady powder measure
- Station 3 = RCBS powder cop die (to prevent squibs and overcharges)
- Station 4 = Redding bullet seating die
- Station 5 = Lee Factory Crimp die

I also visually inspect EVERY cartridge for reasonable powder level in case just prior to bullet seating. Slows down process quite a bit but avoids having to beat bullet from a squib load out of your barrel while at the range or, even worse, sending another bullet down the tube and forcibly disassembling your gun while still in your hand.

Good luck,
Dave

Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

GeekWithGuns wrote:
- Sometimes cases don't feed/enter smoothly into the sizing die. Have to twiddle the case with fingers to get it too feed properly. Watch out you don't crush your fingers. Same here.
- Sometimes primers don't seat properly (high primers). I can usually feel this now when moving load lever to forward position for primer seating. Can usually get a stubborn primer to seat properly by jiggling case around in the station. Also sometimes this is a result of the indexing pawls not being set properly causing the shellplate not to index all the way into correct position for primer seating. Same here.
- Sometimes powder measure gets stuck in 'up' position and fails to throw charge. I haven't had this happen. This is pretty dangerous condition if left undetected for even a single cartridge as can result in squib load(s). Recommend the use of a Hornady or RCBS powder check die which will lock up the press in case of no charge (squib) or excess powder charge. Totally agree!
- Sometimes completed round has trouble ejecting from last station. Just need to work this out with fingers. Also keep the ejection track clear of debris such as powder, lead shavings, etc. Same here.

^ See above. My experience has been very similar.

A couple of related thoughts:

- I also use the RCBS powder cop die, and I *definitely* recommend it. It will stop the press in its tracks if you don't have powder in the case, or if you have a double charge. To me, that's better than its competitors that buzz or flash a light or whatever. Unfortunately it (and its competitors) won't work with most rifle rounds.

- Dave mentioned not crushing your fingers, and I'll second that. There's a lot of leverage in that press handle, and whenever you have your fingers in there, you need to be careful. That might be when you're lining up a troublesome case to get it to go into the sizing die, or it might be when you're guiding a bullet up into the seating die.

- You'll really get a feel for the press once you get some rounds under your belt. And . . . if something FEELS wrong, it probably IS wrong. If you feel something odd, STOP and take a look to see what's going on. And before you start up again, make sure that every case is in the right station and you haven't overlooked something. Be careful of double-charging a case whenever you stop and re-start the process.

^ One example of a "feels wrong" experience that I've had (several times) is when I've dropped a bullet on top of a pistol case. Normally the case is slightly belled, and the base of the bullet will drop inside the case by a hair. There have been a few times when the bullet just didn't drop in like I expected . . . yes, I was able to push it in, but it just wasn't RIGHT. I stopped and looked at the case, and it was split! Because the case was split, the expander die didn't actually bell it -- the case simply opened at the split, and the closed back up when it came out of the die. No bell. Anyhow, I was happy to catch those split cases before they became loaded ammo!

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you have a nice setup... it will serve you well..

that said, unhook everything but the basic LNL and start there... and load cases one at a time only after you finish each round.. after a few hundred rounds, add the case feeder, then the bullet feeder only when you're a pro... honestly if you haven't loaded a few thousand rounds, the bullet feeder shouldn't even be there...

buy the rcbs cop die.. it's a must if you use a bullet feeder... one undercharged round will ruin a good barrel if you're not careful...

I used to run the ammo plant before I went dillon 1050... the bullet feeder is tricky but works well enough...

Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chad, I work in Aberdeen and live in McCleary. Maybe I could swing by and help you out after work in the near future, if you still need assistance.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]