Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Dillon xl650 

Well I want an upgrade from my Lee classic, im gonna pick up a xl650. Thats all ;)

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:11 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hornady LNL. That's all. ;)

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:12 pm

acidfly wrote:
Well I want an upgrade from my Lee classic, im gonna pick up a xl650. Thats all ;)

Good choice :thumbsup2:

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been loading on my XL650 for over 10 years. Only one break down. Dillon never hesitates to send you the replacement part for free, but do yourself a favor and buy the parts/service kit. I was back loading in 5 minutes and 3 days later the broken part was in my mailbox to replace my spare. 9mm,.38, .357, .40, .45, .223.... haven't gone bigger than .223 for rifle as I prefer to single stage the 30 cal stuff.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 650 has been nothing less than awesome. Just make sure to get the case feeder and a tool head for every caliber you intend to load for. Wouldn't hurt to have an extra. I find the "extra" great when I just want to run a bunch of cases through to deprime prior to tumbling.

If you haven't chosen your "source" yet, give some thought to http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.650.html

No shipping charges for the 650 and no Sales Tax. If you have questions Brian is a great guy to ask. He knows his "Dillon" and speaks straight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

is there a big diff. between the 650 and the 1050? other than the price tag?

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We've been loading on 1050's and 650s since 1992. Both solid machines. The 650 has 5 stations. The 1050 has 10 station, also removes primer crimps, and is a much more commercially suited machine. Caliber change-over on a 650 is a few minutes. Maybe 5 if I'm tired. Caliber conversion on a 1050 is much longer. Warranty on a 1050 is 12 months, but forever on a 650. NEVER have had an issue getting replacement parts for my 650's. We have two of them.

Buy the extra toolheads by the 3-pack from Brian Enos. Very handy to have a case prep head, and a loading toolhead for your rifle brass. They are two separate operations. When I get down to one spare, I buy another 3 pack.

Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mash man wrote:

HUGE DIFFERENCE! The 650 has a lifetime no bullshit warrantee BUT the 1050 is a commercial machine so when it breaks you are on the hook and parts are expensive. NO guarantee on the 1050!!!

Talk to Sagewa, he has 3 of the 1050's

Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:03 pm

Classic wrote:
mash man wrote:

HUGE DIFFERENCE! The 650 has a lifetime no bullshit warrantee BUT the 1050 is a commercial machine so when it breaks you are on the hook and parts are expensive. NO guarantee on the 1050!!!

Talk to Sagewa, he has 3 of the 1050's

Warrantee issues aside… the major differences are with a 1050 you have a extra station for swaging primer pockets and all operations including the primer seating are on the down stroke.

If you’re warranty concerns are preventing you from moving onto a 1050 from a 650…. You don’t need to based on your lack of need alone IMO. I have both and use the 1050 primarily to load .223 it’s a awesome machine and huge time saver.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:26 am

mash man wrote:

Yeah night and day. Honestly unless you are prepared to buy a 1050 for each dedicated caliber it's not worth looking into. Caliber conversion on the 1050 is anything but speedy, it will take several hours. The 550 and 650 are perfect for home reloading, with lightning quick caliber changes. The 1050 is a high volume commercial machine.

Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anthony.L wrote:
The 550 and 650 are perfect for home reloading, with lightning quick caliber changes. The 1050 is a high volume commercial machine.

All things considered, the 650 is not all that much slower than the 1050. If you have an ample supply of prepped cases and lots and lots of primer tubes, you can load a lot of ammo in an hour.

I have started to pre-prime my rifle brass after cleaning. A good hand inspection, add a primer, toss in the bin. When loading on the press using pre-primed brass, no need to change primer setups, just leave the small primer mechanism in place for my pistol loading. Only thing that needs attention now is keeping the powder reservoir filled and there are larger ones available if you want.

As for swaging? Only needs to be done once and a Super Swage 600 does a quick job of that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:19 am

deadshot2 wrote:
Anthony.L wrote:
As for swaging? Only needs to be done once and a Super Swage 600 does a quick job of that.

Exactly. Dealing with the headache of a 1050 in a non-commercial setting just for swaging is a waste.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Anthony.L wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:
Anthony.L wrote:

Exactly. Dealing with the headache of a 1050 in a non-commercial setting just for swaging is a waste.

That is if you have the opportunity to actually pick up your own already swaged brass, standing in a lane or lying prone in a field.
There are quite a few guys myself included that relish having a the 1050 do the swaging for you as you load. If your loading even 200-300 rounds for 3 gun or carbine matches every weekend it saves a boatload of time over the course of a season.

As for the S1050 being a "headache" I can't comment on that. I have never had any mechanical issue with the machine that wasn't induced by my own hand. As long as it's dialed in properly, cleaned and lubed regularly it runs smooth as can be.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]