Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Curio & Relic (C&R) License: What it is and how to get one! 
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. What does Curio & Relic (C&R) mean?

The term "Curio & Relic" is defined by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) as:
Quote:
Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1. Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or
2. Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or
3. Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

In more real-world terms, a C&R firearm is one that:
1. Is in its original, unmodified condition*; and
2. Is at least 50 years old OR is on the ATF's list of C&R firearms.

* Some minor modifications are allowed (e.g., replacement sights) but more significant changes such as sporterized stocks are specifically excluded. Barreled receivers are not eligible for C&R status.

2. What is a C&R license? Should I get one?

A "C&R license" is a Type 03 Federal Firearms License, sometimes referred to as an 03 FFL. If you have one, then you can provide a copy of your license and:

1. Receive C&R firearms directly from out-of-state sellers, both private and retail. Firearms can be shipped directly to your door, without the need to be transferred through another dealer.
2. Purchase C&R firearms from in-state private sellers without going through a dealer to conduct a background check. Note that purchases from in-state dealers will typically still require the normal background check.
3. Receive a "dealer discount" at many popular retailers such as Brownells.com and others.

C&R licensees are required to maintain a "bound book" record of all purchases and sales of C&R firearms. All C&R firearms purchased while the license is current are required to be entered into the bound book, regardless of whether you used the C&R license to buy the gun.

3. How do I obtain a C&R license?

1. Download ATF form 7CR.
2. Mail the necessary pages along with the $30 fee to the ATF.
3. Mail the necessary pages to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO). This is typically your local chief of police or sheriff.
4. Wait! It might take a few weeks, or it might take a few months. Be patient. :)
5. When the license arrives, do not sign it. Make copies, and sign the copies in blue ink. When you provide a copy of your license, it will need to have an original signature.

4. I have my license . . . what do I do now?

1. Scan one of the signed copies of your license. Many retailers will accept e-mailed copies of the license.
2. Create a "bound book." A typical page can be downloaded below (make sure you are logged in!); put these into a three-ring binder or similar.
Attachment:
Bound Book Page.pdf

3. E-mail copies of your license to your favorite online retailers and ask them to keep it on file and provide you with dealer discounts. Some will do this, and others will not.
4. START SHOPPING FOR C&R FIREARMS!

:party:

WARNING #1: This can be addictive, and expensive! Check your bank balance often. :bigsmile:
WARNING #2: I am not a lawyer, I don't have all of the answers, and there are often "gray areas" in the law. When in doubt, consult the ATF!

5. I'm moving . . . how do I change my address with the ATF?

Your C&R FFL license has your address printed on it, and that is the ONLY address to which you can have firearms shipped. Therefore, it is important (not to mention required) that you notify the ATF when you change your address. The ATF requires this to be done a minimum of 30 days prior to your address change . . . which can be darned near impossible, given the process for finding a new home. However, it seems that the ATF overlooks this when they process the form for C&R holders, so don't sweat it -- just send it in as soon as you can.

To change your address:

1) Fill out ATF form 5300.38, "Application for an Amended Federal Firearms License." You should have received this from with your original C&R packet, when you received your license. You can also download the form here: ATF Form 5300.38. When filling out this form for a C&R license, you may ignore items 4, 14, 15, 16 and 17 on the form as they do not apply to you.
2) Send one copy ("Copy 1" if you are using the original form) to the ATF at the address shown. You must also send them your original FFL. Yes, I know that the form does not tell you to do that . . . but you need to. Include it with form 5300.38 in the envelope.
3) Send one copy ("Copy 2" if you are using the original form) to your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (sheriff, police chief, etc.). This is purely informational for the CLEO, just like the copy you sent him/her when you applied for your original license.
4) Wait. Relax. The ATF will send your new license to your new address. The new license will have a difference license number.

6. Where can I get more information?

ATF List of C&R FAQs
Cruffler.com "The Fine Art of Becoming a CRUFFLER"
How do I become a collector of curios and relics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for the post, maybe I'll do this for myself for my birthday in November :D

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:31 pm

There's nothing quite like the UPS delivery of a new, old pistol/rifle to one's door without taxes or transfer fees.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man! You make it sound so easy...

Now, I have to get one! :D

I don't know if I'll ever use it but... what the hay! icon_super

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:10 am

It pays for itself if you only use it once.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay finally got off my butt and filled out the paperwork and went to the bank to get a cashier's check $30.

Thanks MadPick ^:)^ For the info....

Sent the application off to ATF and my CLEO in Kent all certified mail.

Now it's a waiting game... :ympray:

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Uh-oh. You'd better start working some OT, dude . . . you've got a lot of upcoming purchases! :D

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn!

Oh could I use the I buy if you "store" for me card... \:d/

There goes my weekends! (I'll be working) to pay of all these purchases!

Luckily I have a few months! Whew! :D

Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:58 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Funny thing... I read up on this today from Redit:Guns. I want one too!

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:25 pm
Profile WWW

oldkim wrote:
Damn!

Luckily I have a few months! Whew! :D

Mine came in less than three weeks...

Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:30 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome post - I gotta get me one of them there C&R coupons! Thank you for posting the info, and, curse you for putting up the giant wallet magnet - my wife's gonna kill you! Yes, I'm passing on the blame your way - too much heat, man leave kitchen.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Run away!!!!!! It will bankrupt you! :)

You will end up buying at least two safes, and it won't stop there!

Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:26 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

RENCORP wrote:
Awesome post - I gotta get me one of them there C&R coupons! Thank you for posting the info, and, curse you for putting up the giant wallet magnet - my wife's gonna kill you! Yes, I'm passing on the blame your way - too much heat, man leave kitchen.

I'll take the heat on this one . . . I'm just thrilled that people are using the info. :D

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:34 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Here is another good detailed post about getting and using the C&R license.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/0 ... cr-ffl-03/

Last edited by olydemon on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

fergetted link

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tag for later use

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next