Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Washington State DOL Firearms Records Request 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nitefire1 wrote:
For a individual I believed the law was no records were ever kept of gun purchases past 48 hours except for class 3

NICS information is retained for 30 days. Well, your paperwork is valid that long, depending on delays and such with getting a proceed and such.

Your ffl keeps the 4473 for 20 years, or until they go out of business.

WA state pistol transfer form gets filed with the DOL. It is now tied into your license. Any WASP computer can access that information.

There is no such thing as a class 3 gun.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

root wrote:
WA state pistol transfer form gets filed with the DOL. It is now tied into your license. Any WASP computer can access that information.

I've seen it on KCSO computers, showed up as Firearm Records or something like that, though not sure every deputy has access.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
root wrote:

I've seen it on KCSO computers, showed up as Firearm Records or something like that, though not sure every deputy has access.

Yeah, they are tied into the WASP system. Pretty sure all agencies are at this point.

I think each dept handles the way it is acessed.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
You people own guns?
Don't you know how dangerous they are?
I read somewhere, that by just having a gun in your home, it is more likely to be used on you than you using it to protect yourself.

:peep:

yes, so many guns meister, we have gun powder tooo, toilet cleaner and other nasty chemical weapons. amd when the wife gets really piossed we have nuklear bombba.
My favorite is the 120 v wires making 240 on the outside of the lamp switch just inside the door, the one over the puddle of water in the enteryway, that should light up their way huh,,, lol
Nitefire

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

root wrote:

Yeah, they are tied into the WASP system. Pretty sure all agencies are at this point.

I think each dept handles the way it is acessed.
[/quote]

I've been offered that they'd do a search for my records in front of me, if I get the time I will take them up on it and see what shows up.
Because all of my pistols were out of state or dealer in-state, they all should be in there. The fingerprint card record for the CPL shows up in another place.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

root wrote:
NICS information is retained for 30 days. Well, your paperwork is valid that long, depending on delays and such with getting a proceed and such.

But the NTN number is retained for....ever? And what info is attached to that NTN?

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
root wrote:

But the NTN number is retained for....ever? And what info is attached to that NTN?

Honestly? No idea! Likely a record that it was used?

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

root wrote:
nitefire1 wrote:
For a individual I believed the law was no records were ever kept of gun purchases past 48 hours except for class 3

Your ffl keeps the 4473 for 20 years, or until they go out of business.

There is no such thing as a class 3 gun.

A while back I had a unique situation where I was denied by NICS 3 days after an approved purchase from the same ffl. They called NICS and the record was alreadypurged..all that was left was the approval number which was tied to the ffl.

It took a while for them to realize there was a typo in the new NICS check that made it deny me and it got sorted out

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TacticalAssault wrote:
Kgbsucka wrote:
Is that WA state pistol form optional? I thought it was a mandatory form you had to fill out.....If it was optional why would anyone do it? Or is that referring to a private sale reporting form?

The form for private transfer of a pistol or revolver is OPTIONAL. There are NO laws and NO paperwork requirements for private sales in the state of Washington.

Not only is it optional, it is not protected from a freedom of information request..

Absolutely no point in doing it when your privacy is not even guaranteed...I've walked away from purchases where the seller required this

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:21 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually it protected from FOIA. Department of Licensing will refuse to hand over information about gun owners unless only for demographic purposes or to law enforcement requests.

I am sitting just a few feet from Bruce Tanaka, head of DOL Firearms Division.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Actually it protected from FOIA. Department of Licensing will refuse to hand over information about gun owners unless only for demographic purposes or to law enforcement requests.

Yep. There are hoops you go through to even get it for yourself.

As explained in this thread.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

Dan from what I understand the mandatory form is Foia protected but the voluntary optional form is not?

But glad to hear if it is too... or that the dol won't release that info... somehow I read differently. That is reassuring news

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

XDM9cWA wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

Dan from what I understand the mandatory form is Foia protected but the voluntary optional form is not?

But glad to hear if it is too... or that the dol won't release that info... somehow I read differently. That is reassuring news

All of the records are protected. There's no difference.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the bottom of the form it has the disclaimer

" Upon filing, this document becomes a public record and is subject to public disclosure provisions under RCW 42.56"

I always assumed that meant it could be subject to FOIA since it is considered a public record"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2