Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 A handy guide for liberals suddenly interested owning guns 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://monsterhunternation.com/2016/11/ ... ownership/

It's long, but worth the read:

<snip>A Handy Guide For Liberals Who Are Suddenly Interested In Gun Ownership
November 14, 2016 correia45 59
That title isn’t joking. This post is aimed at my liberal readers. I’m a libertarian leaning Republican and gun expert, who thinks you are wrong about a lot of stuff, but I’m not writing this to gloat about your loss. For the record, I disliked all the presidential candidates.

Judging by your social media over the last few days many liberals have been utterly terrified that your government might turn tyrannical or that evil people will now be emboldened to hurt you. I’m going to let you in on a little thing the other half of the country is familiar with to keep those unlikely, yet catastrophic, events from happening.

And that my lefty friends, is 2nd Amendment.
Having just gone through a war against a tyrannical government, the Founders understood that governments can go bad, so they made sure to note our God given right (or we’ll say naturally occurring right, since a bunch of you are atheists) to keep and bear arms in order to defend ourselves. The 2nd Amendment isn’t about hunting or “sporting purposes”, it’s about having weapons that you can fight with. As an added bonus, being able to protect yourself from a tyrannical government means that you’re a lot better equipped to deal with any common criminal who decides to hurt you.
Before I get into the details about how to enjoy your newly discovered 2nd Amendment rights, let me just say that I get you’re sad, angry, bitter, and fearful. But just like my people over the last few elections, you’ll get over it. The really hyperbolic freak outs about Literally Hitler make you sound just like the Alex Jones crowd worried that Obama was going to herd Christians into FEMA camps last time. So take a deep breath and relax. Your friends and neighbors are the same as they were last week. The vast majority weren’t voting because racism, they voted against the status quo and a really unlikable Democrat. And no, they aren’t going to round you up into cattle cars.

But in the off chance they do, let’s get you prepared</snip>

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

too long

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:48 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

joao01 wrote:
too long

Lots of information to convey. I liked it. :bigsmile:

Wouldn't it be nice if the big media explained things like this ? -
Quote:
Many of you have been sharing every second hand account, rumor, and urban legend about some random doofus in Somnambulant, Wisconsin or Bumfight, Louisiana, shouting an ethnic slur or spray painting a swastika on a wall. Newsflash, in a country with a third of a billion people, some percentage of them are going to be assholes. I hate to break it to you, but the assholes were there before, and they will be there forever. Just right now the news has a self-serving incentive to report about these assholes in particular.

But Correia! You’re not a marginalized Mexican transsexual Muslim! What do you know!?

I know that anybody can be “marginalized” if they walk into the wrong neighborhood. Violence can happen to any of us, and it does, all the time. Whether your odds of being a victim are good or bad, it still sucks when you draw the short straw and somebody tries to hurt you. Whoever you are, you are correct to be concerned for your safety. Anybody can be attacked, and everybody should be prepared to deal with it.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
joao01 wrote:
too long

I was expecting more of a pamphlet than a novella.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
PMB wrote:
joao01 wrote:
too long

I was expecting more of a pamphlet than a novella.

The cliff notes version of things is a large reason why we find our nation in the shape it is in. Not all knowledge comes in handy soundbites and flashy pamphlets.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"See, traditionally Democrats don’t like the 2nd Amendment and historically have done everything in their power to screw with it. "

Failed right there.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
"See, traditionally Democrats don’t like the 2nd Amendment and historically have done everything in their power to screw with it. "

Failed right there.

Yep, ignores plenty of recent Republican gun control efforts - from Reagan (both as President and as Governor of CA) to Nixon to George HW Bush. Not to mention local Republicans who pushed gun control to oppress Black folks.

This article is a great idea but shit execution.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:

The cliff notes version of things is a large reason why we find our nation in the shape it is in. Not all knowledge comes in handy soundbites and flashy pamphlets.

I don't disagree, but if I'm trying to look through the lens of someone on the left, I'm going to stop after just a few paragraphs. The article doesn't seem to "grab" them long enough to take a few moments from the Facebook rants they probably have going on the other browser windows.

Any journalist is responsible to "hook" his/her reader to finish the article. From my perspective, the author failed.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:

I don't disagree, but if I'm trying to look through the lens of someone on the left, I'm going to stop after just a few paragraphs. The article doesn't seem to "grab" them long enough to take a few moments from the Facebook rants they probably have going on the other browser windows.

Any journalist is responsible to "hook" his/her reader to finish the article. From my perspective, the author failed.

Fair enough. I dont think know that not all liberals are as you describe above. I would hope that one who is actually interested in exploring the idea of gun ownership would not limit their research to the echo chamber of bookface or twatter or other sources of such brevity and dubious credibility.

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:00 am

ANZAC wrote:

Failed right there.

It's a fail from the start. Encouraging liberals to arm up to fight "tyrannical government" ? They already think that if they don't have complete control of the narrative, don't have "safe spaces", and a giant matriarchal nanny state, they are being tyrannized

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]