Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:53 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stainless Tumbling Pins 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm gearing up to start reloading and need to order some stainless pins from here:

http://bullseye-reloading.com/

5 pounds is $35.65 and 50 pounds is $263.00, so $9.35 less to buy the big bag and split it up into 5 pounders.

I'm not set on where they get ordered from as long as they are the same size. That was the best deal I could find.

If there is enough interest I'll order the big bag. No payment till they get here. I just need a commitment that you will take them.

I'm in Tacoma but get to Seattle every few weeks, out on the peninsula frequently, and down to Olympia every once in a while. They are coming out of Cali so I imagine it would take a week to get here.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:19 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I ordered the .047 pins from Bullseye Reloading about a year ago, and I've been very happy with them. FWIW, I paid $49 for five pounds.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

get the bigger pins...

i do have a cement mixer i use for mine... i think they hold 20lbs of pins and cleans well

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

XDM9cWA wrote:
get the bigger pins...

i do have a cement mixer i use for mine... i think they hold 20lbs of pins and cleans well

I'd love to see a picture of that setup.

Edit: Nevermind, found your thread. :cheers2:

Last edited by cycle61 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im in for 5, maybe ten if needed to get this going.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cycle61 wrote:
XDM9cWA wrote:
get the bigger pins...

I'd love to see a picture of that setup.

Edit: Nevermind, found your thread. :cheers2:

http://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=7 ... nt#p260752

for the others...

and just in case anybody is interested, I'm going to sell my setup (see WTS section)

Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

XDM9cWA wrote:
get the bigger pins...

I've had the opposite experience.

When I bought my tumbler it came with the bigger pins, so I used them for a while. I just didn't feel like they were cleaning fast enough, so I went out and bought the smaller pins, and I noticed an immediate difference in cleaning time for the better.

My vote would be the smaller pins.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be in for 5 also...

-- Travis A Kisner

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
XDM9cWA wrote:
get the bigger pins...

I've had the opposite experience.

When I bought my tumbler it came with the bigger pins, so I used them for a while. I just didn't feel like they were cleaning fast enough, so I went out and bought the smaller pins, and I noticed an immediate difference in cleaning time for the better.

My vote would be the smaller pins.

your observation is probably true that said, I usually run my mixer for 2 hours and they come out clean... so just an issue of running longer... and I use a cement mixer so probably more agitation?

so the smaller pins may be faster, but having a plugged flash hole can be a pain if it happens and you don't catch it...

the bigger pins are too big that 2 pins can't go through the hole at the same time and get stuck.... which is why they came out with the alternative....

either should work ok, just as long as people are aware to look for pins stuck in flash holes...

the more common problem is calibers nesting when a smaller case finds it's way in the pile (9mm in .40sw)

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also believe you load way more straight wall pistol, while Steve loads mainly oddball rifle cartridges. If that is the case we may have a interesting observation here.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
I also believe you load way more straight wall pistol, while Steve loads mainly oddball rifle cartridges. If that is the case we may have a interesting observation here.

correct, although I do load some rifle rounds...

I did start with smaller pins which came with a kit I bought... I sold those pins after I did see one or two stuck pins in flash holes.... they were easily identified though as the pins shine differently than the brass...

but it was not worth my time to sort them that way.... (pistol brass)

with rifle rounds, you had to hand sort the case anyway, so pins stuck in flash holes probably don't matter as they will be identified...

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

mcyclonegt wrote:

I do both rifle and pistol. I haven't had any pins stick in flash holes, either my older large pins or the newer small pins.

I know that never_to_much has had issues with his pins sticking cross-wise in his 6.5 brass, and I think they're the smaller ones although that's more an issue with length than diameter. I haven't wet-tumbled any 6.5 brass yet so I can't share my experience with that.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

I do both rifle and pistol. I haven't had any pins stick in flash holes, either my older large pins or the newer small pins.

I know that never_to_much has had issues with his pins sticking cross-wise in his 6.5 brass, and I think they're the smaller ones although that's more an issue with length than diameter. I haven't wet-tumbled any 6.5 brass yet so I can't share my experience with that.

the stuck pins are probably a rare enough occurrence to not be a big issue...

either way, stainless pins are way better than the old system... anybody interested should switch to it, a bit pricey to start, but lasts a long time

also a good magnet sweep is important.. you'll be amazed how many small pins you'll find on the garage floor after several cleanings...

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:04 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

XDM9cWA wrote:
also a good magnet sweep is important.. you'll be amazed how many small pins you'll find on the garage floor after several cleanings...

Every time I walk across the garage now, my eyes are glued to the floor. No matter how careful I am, those little bastards find a way to escape! :bruce:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The pins I'm going to order are the .047 x .255

It's my understanding that the Frankfort Arsenal tumbler came with pins slightly smaller that this and those pins had problems with sticking in cases. From what I have read the .047 pins don't have as much of a problem.

Can we please keep the discussion here limited to the sale. Other discussions should go in the reloading section.

So far I'm counting three of us that are interested.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next