Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Please delete 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

please delete

Last edited by Barfly on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks for getting this together Barfly.
If anyone has questions, feel free to give me a shout.

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If anybody is curious about this food, it is fantastic. I am not affiliated with the company, I just buy it and store it/use it at my home. I know that most won't be interested in buying this stuff by the case, me included, but if we pool our resources together and buy in bulk, it will save us all money on some fantastic food.

Everybody should have at least a month of emergency food stashed away in case of natural disaster, etc. This stuff has an amazing shelf like, no preservatives, etc. and tastes great! It is easy to cook with too. I am making some pre-mixed soups, etc. where all I need to do is open up the jar, dump the contents into a pan, add water and cook. REALLY easy way to prepare for emergency or even give as gifts!

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Barfly,
Nice to see someone on the south end doing this but keep the following in mind and you are comparing:

A. I run a buying group up North using case pricing AND sales to get great prices. (And have been for past year and a half.)
B. I applaud your efforts to help get people ready. I do the same. Now some notes based on several years of looking around.

1. Thrive is NOT the most cost effective on a bunch of stuff. (Even with their supposed sales.)
2. Make sure you compare contents for:
2a. Salt and ingredients. Sometimes thrive is great sometimes they are over loaded with noodles and carbs instead of better ingredients.)
2b. Contents are many times less that comparable cans from Honeyville, ReadyStore, BePrepared, etc...
3. Make sure you check Costco for Thrive sales, many times they have even better pricing.
4. Get a spreadsheet going so you can track what good pricing actually is. (Let me know and I can send you mine.)
For instance the pricing for the 6 pack of Meats is a good price except add in the $22 or so for shipping and all of a sudden basically the same price and most others have it when they are on normal small sale pricing. That same combo I got several month's ago from another supplier for $189 + $4.99 shipping. And with Thrive usually having less contents I likely got about 10% more contents for a lower price.

Example: Hard White or Red Wheat, #10 can.
Saratoga Farms (The Ready Store) goes for $5.77 a can when its on a really good sale. Normal price is around $7.50 with List at $10.49
Emergency Essentials also normally goes for around $7.10-$7.50, List the same. BUT its also got 15% more contents than Saratoga.
Honeyville goes for around $8.70 a can BUT its another 10% Bigger. List is $10.99

When Honeyville has a case sale they regularly go for 20 or 25% off. (Plus a case is 10% discount to start with) so,
10.99 x 90% = 9.891 x .75 = $7.42 a can.
Comparable cost to EE is then $6.74 and to Saratoga is $5.86.

Now consider shipping: Honeyville is a flat $4.99 per shipment.
EE is free if you get a group purchase item otherwise usually around $12
Saratoga is usually a flat 9.99 or 12.99.

Those deep sales come around maybe once a year Honeyville has a 25% maybe once every year but 20% a couple of times a year. If you can wait Saratoga might be a better deal but their prices move around a lot. Honeyville's are very stable so you wait for the sale.
From the Thrive Website: Can is comparable to EE and costs $8.55 a can in a case. plus whatever shipping.

IF you want more info or to talk about this please let me know. I would be happy to help and share what I have learns over the last several years comparing providers and what is good versus great pricing.
Best of luck either way.
(Anyone interested in participating on the more northern side of Seattle can feel free to contact me and I will add you to my group list. That way we can have at least one North and one South.)

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let me begin by saying thank you for the info Paris. I am actually only doing this as a one time to help get folks a jump start. I am also only working with Thrive at this time.
I have had Bryon at my home a couple times for demos. Thrive food is fantastic, rehydrates quickly and is not mushy like you would imagine it might be. The flavor is great and many of the fruits and veggies are great for use as snacks while hiking, camping, etc. just as they are out of the can. My kids absolutely LOVE the macaroon cookie mix and the corn because it is sweet and crunchy. :)

regarding your suggestions:

1. Thrive is NOT the most cost effective on a bunch of stuff. (Even with their supposed sales.) This may be true, but I am after quality first, quantity second. This is a good way for folks who may already be thinking of Thrive to save a few bucks.
2. Make sure you compare contents for:
2a. Salt and ingredients. Sometimes thrive is great sometimes they are over loaded with noodles and carbs instead of better ingredients.) Thrive does not add any ingredients other than what is listed on the label. No preservatives, seasonings, etc. Simply freeze dried or dehydrated fruits, vegetables or meats. The exception being the very few pre-prepared meals, and broths.
2b. Contents are many times less that comparable cans from Honeyville, ReadyStore, BePrepared, etc... again, I am most concerned with quality.
3. Make sure you check Costco for Thrive sales, many times they have even better pricing. While, price is important, and the point of this is to save folks a few $$, I would rather my $$ go to an honest, hard working guy who helps out our community rather than to Costco. :) I love Costco, and have been a member for 20+ years, but in this instance, Bryon and Thrive get my business.
4. Get a spreadsheet going so you can track what good pricing actually is. (Let me know and I can send you mine.)
For instance the pricing for the 6 pack of Meats is a good price except add in the $22 or so for shipping and all of a sudden basically the same price and most others have it when they are on normal small sale pricing. That same combo I got several month's ago from another supplier for $189 + $4.99 shipping. And with Thrive usually having less contents I likely got about 10% more contents for a lower price. I have no interest in an ongoing thing. This was an attempt at a one-time money saving opportunity. :) Thrive's shipping is actually pretty reasonable as it is done by total order cost, not weight. It is also very fast.

Shipping Table
Order Subtotal: Shipping Cost
$0–$80.00: $7.99
$80.01–$140.00: $10.99
$140.01–$200.00: $14.99
$200.01–$400.00: $20.99
$400.01 + : 6% of order subtotal

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just so everybody knows, this group buy is open to both SGN and WGO. If you are not interested in any of the items remaining from the existing cases listed, let me know and I will start one that you are interested in.

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:12 pm

Im in for 1 onion, and 1 ground beef if meat becomes an option.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meat is definitely an option. Have somebody else wanting to get some meat. I will update the list later today.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Myself, and Byron can beat COSTCO anytime. Also remember Black Friday is coming up soon.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Starting to pick up steam. Let me know if you want in on this.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So can I get smaller individual cans out of this group buy??

Folks if you have never had this stuff...DIG IN. My palate is nowhere near the menu these guys have but everything ive ever had has been delicious, beyond what the fresh ingredients would taste like

We love a lot of the fruits and yogurts and the corn, corn alone is a great snack

Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are talking about the pantry cans, yes I can start a case quantity of those, or there are some multi-packs of different pantry can packs.

on the flyer I posted in the OP of some of the unadvertised specials, the bottom 4 multi-packs are all pantry sized cans as opposed to the #10 (gallon sized) cans.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bump. Still time to get in on this.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gonna start thinking about wrapping this up. Anybody else interested in getting in on this group buy?

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]