Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Fresh Hawaiian Seafood Group Buy? 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How are these packaged?

Is the tuna cut into steak or is it long loin? How about skin?

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be in for some albacore.

I'd buy it regularly if you do this more than once. Probably buy other stuff too.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
How are these packaged?

Is the tuna cut into steak or is it long loin? How about skin?

These are packaged in breathable vacuum-sealed bags with an absorbent pad.

The tuna would be shipped in loin form with the skin off, bloodline out. Same with the Blue Marlin. Swordfish would also be in loin form but with skin on, bloodline out. Other species would be fillets with the skin on, except Opah and Monchong (those would be skin off).

The shelf life drops dramatically when more surface area is exposed, so loin form makes the most sense, and it requires less processing/handling. But since I know most people wouldn't want to take an entire loin home, we'd most likely portion the loins after they arrived. But depending on how much my Processing Manager is willing to work with us, we might be able to portion it out in Hawaii before shipping. I'd have to find out how that would affect the cost.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep us posted, my wife's having lunch with some of her Singaporean friends who may be interested as well.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to be traveling off and on for the next couple of weeks, so this Group Buy wouldn't take place until after April 20th (at the earliest), but I posted this now so everyone would have time to give it some consideration.

As far as future orders go, I will be ordering a shipment of fresh tuna and swordfish for the 4th of July. I know it's a long way out, but I already know my family & friends will be chomping at the bit for some sashimi and grilled steaks that weekend, so I'll start another Group Buy thread when that time comes.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are those shipped prices? How much would shipping be if not?

I'd be in for some Ono, Mahi Mahi, Swordfish, and both species of Marlin......

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
Are those shipped prices?

Yes.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
dan360 wrote:
Are those shipped prices?

Yes.

Awesome. Still in for the Ono, Mahi, Sword, and both Marlin. Will have poundage totals in a bit to PM you.

Thanks!

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So who is placing an order? When is the dinner? I love all things seafood, but not cooking much fish, and not knowing these fish makes me nervous. The web makes every one of these species out to be some 10 star restaurant fish I shouldn't ever attempt myself. God damn it I am really on the fence about just taking a stab at a couple of these. Someone push me over! Lol

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo is IN the house.

Yes we eat a decent amount of fish and yes I am IN.

5-10-15-20 lbs......

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:09 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's the average weight of a tuna loin?

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:09 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
What's the average weight of a tuna loin?

We can get them in just about any size, from 3 lbs. all the way to 20+ lbs. Average is between 7 and 10 lbs. I think the ideal size is right around 8 lbs. Top loin and belly loin make a difference in terms of fat, too, but more fat also equals shorter shelf life.

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
So who is placing an order? When is the dinner? I love all things seafood, but not cooking much fish, and not knowing these fish makes me nervous. The web makes every one of these species out to be some 10 star restaurant fish I shouldn't ever attempt myself. God damn it I am really on the fence about just taking a stab at a couple of these. Someone push me over! Lol

A group cookout would really be the way to go for someone who isn't familiar with these fish. Maybe we can find a way to make that happen.

Honestly, for the Tuna and Marlin, raw is the best preparation (poke style is where they really shine). The smaller sizes of these species have a lower fat content, and that leanness has a tendency to yield overly firm, dry meat when cooked. That's why larger fish are generally preferred for cooked applications. The smaller ones work very well raw and are generally cheaper. But even when I say "cooked", I don't mean all the way through (especially for Tuna), because it's a very fine line between cooked and tough, and Tuna is delicious when served seared and rare.

In terms of best flavor and most forgiving in a cooked application, Swordfish is your best bet. The meat is firm but moist, and there is usually a good amount of fat. Cook it like you would a beef steak, only a little more done in the middle. Ono, Opah, and Mahimahi all have great flavor, but they're lean, so they're not very forgiving. That's why I like to marinate, or serve them with a sauce. There's really no need to cook any of them all the way through unless you're really worried about parasites (yes, they could have them, but they're most likely to be found in the meat that is closest to the belly, which is generally trimmed off before resale).

If anyone wants recipe ideas or inspiration, let me know.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might be interested here, but haven't seen much discussion about logistics. I assume the fish would come in to Lynnwood where you are?

We'd then either need every person to come get their own fish, or get a pony express going.

While I'm all about fresh, would it make more sense to have it frozen to we can all cook on our our schedule, rather than throwing together a swordfish bake with only 4 hours notice, or is getting it frozen simply blasphemy?

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:27 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Freezing is Blasphemy if you are spending that kind of cash for FRESH fish. Now, if I order an entire loin, then some will be eaten that night, but the rest frozen. But the point is, I am the one freezing it, in my freezer. I know when it got frozen, how it got wrapped, at what temperature it will remain frozen at etc.

Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
Might be interested here, but haven't seen much discussion about logistics. I assume the fish would come in to Lynnwood where you are?

We'd then either need every person to come get their own fish, or get a pony express going.

While I'm all about fresh, would it make more sense to have it frozen to we can all cook on our our schedule, rather than throwing together a swordfish bake with only 4 hours notice, or is getting it frozen simply blasphemy?

so the offer comes up for fresh fish from warm waters off Hawai'i and you're wanting to freeze it for logistics.

Crawl back in whatever hole you came out of, philstine.

:ROFLMAO:

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next