Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:58 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 80% AR lowers? Build party? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nitefire1 wrote:
so I guess a bunch of us are not doing a group buy and build get together. isn't that what this was all about?

The original purpose is still on but there needs to be the numbers (people to buy into the group buy) and then there still needs to be someone with a shop or house big enough to host and have every meet up.

So, crucial elements still needs to be worked out. Please contact the OP on the status.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately my status is, I'm broke.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ok

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IF YOU EVER GET ONE GOING JUST REMEMBER YOU CAN COUNT ME IN, SO KEEP IT IN MIND IF IT ISN'T OUTRAGEOUS PRICE i WILL BE IN WITH THE BUILD.

NITEFIRE

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:13 am

I followed the links everyone posted earlier in this thread, I like the group offer Wynakos is offering on cnc machining... ($40/ ea if there are 10+)

I also really like the look of the std AR lowers and the deal on the 308 lowers right now from Lockestone (good through the 17th).... http://www.lockestone.com/shop/index.ph ... duct_id=94

my question is this- if we did a group deal for machining with wynakos, could we do 308 lowers? (I know they aren't currently offering a 308 lower themselves, I've asked) is there much difference in the machining a 308 vs. a std AR lower?

I might be in for one of each of those... I'm currently working on a billet/piston AR15 upper build, so a billet lower would round it out nicely, and I really want a 308 AR.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be up for this too at $40/lower. Finding reasonably priced 80% lowers is not too hard. I'd need a bit of time to get the lower in had first though.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AndreS wrote:
I followed the links everyone posted earlier in this thread, I like the group offer Wynakos is offering on cnc machining... ($40/ ea if there are 10+)

I also really like the look of the std AR lowers and the deal on the 308 lowers right now from Lockestone (good through the 17th).... http://www.lockestone.com/shop/index.ph ... duct_id=94

my question is this- if we did a group deal for machining with wynakos, could we do 308 lowers? (I know they aren't currently offering a 308 lower themselves, I've asked) is there much difference in the machining a 308 vs. a std AR lower?

I might be in for one of each of those... I'm currently working on a billet/piston AR15 upper build, so a billet lower would round it out nicely, and I really want a 308 AR.

Is the upper you're working on for .308? They don't interchange.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would be in for 308.

Somebody just needs to take charge here and get something going...

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hate to burst the bubble but I was a machinist for 20 yrs and when doing this kind of milling, cutting out the pocket for the trigger area and such it is best to have the material stress relieved, maybe case hardened and then black oxide or what ever coating you want. I don't know what military specs are on the Lower but I have done a lot of work for the military and a lot of their jobs are very tight, they don't even want fly crap on it. Maybe the lower are more loose but I am sure all the pin holes are drill, maybe bore then ream. Not being stress relieved can cause your two attach pins to not line up from side to side making it unable to attach the top and bottom receivers. I have never done a 80% before but i would like to talk to someone that has to find out.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:52 am

Tombrewster421 wrote:
Is the upper you're working on for .308? They don't interchange.

way ahead of you.... sorry for any confusion. please let me fix that statement. " I'm currently working on a billet/piston AR15 upper build, so a billet 223 lower would round that one out nicely, and I really want to build a 308 AR as well." two separate builds. I've built a few normal AR's already, time for something slightly different and a few more steps... keepers.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:13 am

nitefire1 wrote:
I hate to burst the bubble but I was a machinist for 20 yrs and when doing this kind of milling, cutting out the pocket for the trigger area and such it is best to have the material stress relieved, maybe case hardened and then black oxide or what ever coating you want. I don't know what military specs are on the Lower but I have done a lot of work for the military and a lot of their jobs are very tight, they don't even want fly crap on it. Maybe the lower are more loose but I am sure all the pin holes are drill, maybe bore then ream. Not being stress relieved can cause your two attach pins to not line up from side to side making it unable to attach the top and bottom receivers. I have never done a 80% before but i would like to talk to someone that has to find out.

if they state it's 7075 T6 aluminum, it's already been annealed, quenched, and heat treated to peak strength prior to any machining... that's what the 'T6' means. unless you try to weld on it or take it above 600* F, the heat treat should be fine. 7075 is not all that weldable either but it is as strong as some steel and fairly corrosion resistant. The anodizing is a chemical process that has no effect on the heat treatment either, but helps aid in the corrosion resistance.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:24 am

I may be wrong about the price of machining above.... I believe that WMA meant $40 if the lowers were purchased from them and machined there as a group, if you brought your own, it's probably $50, still not bad to get it done right.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because there was no real push to get this going, I went ahead and bought 2 80% lowers from Tactical Machining. I borrowed my neighbors drill press (yes he knows what I am using it for) and am currently working on my second one. The drill press makes for a difficult process, so it is critical that you do things right from the start. My first one was a pain to complete because I did not do it right although it is complete and functions. SOooo, if you step out and go it on your own, I am happy to help walk you through it and share what I have learned (also willing to let ppl use my jig under my supervision). This is not to say my neighbor's drill press is available to everyone to use. It is definitely bottom of the line and I wouldnt want to put any more wear on it than I have already.
Also, TM has a baddass deal right now selling combo lowers with uppers, total price shipped for both is $88-%92 depending on whether you want anodized or not. To get the deal you add the upper in a drop down menu on the page with the 80% lower. They show as "one" item in you cart. If you add the upper separately it will not give you the deal.
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-pro ... eiver.html
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-pro ... eiver.html

Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please note: the info regarding Wyanko's Machining is VOID.

I believe they pulled out of doing these soon after posting (selling and machining). It's too bad as they were good people.

I would say do follow up and see where they are in regards to selling and machining. They were working up some 308 billets but I lost track of them.

As to hosting a party? I agree someone needs to step up and lead the way.
(not in).

:thumbsup2:

Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Please note: the info regarding Wyanko's Machining is VOID.

I believe they pulled out of doing these soon after posting (selling and machining). It's too bad as they were good people.

I would say do follow up and see where they are in regards to selling and machining. They were working up some 308 billets but I lost track of them.

As to hosting a party? I agree someone needs to step up and lead the way.
(not in).

:thumbsup2:

I looked at their site pretty recently, couldn't find any 80% s or anything about completing them. I had meant to contact them about it since I would like at least one decently clean cut 80%. The ones from the drill press are pretty rough on the inside.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next