Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 80% AR lowers? Build party? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nitefire1 wrote:
I hate to burst the bubble but I was a machinist for 20 yrs and when doing this kind of milling, cutting out the pocket for the trigger area and such it is best to have the material stress relieved, maybe case hardened and then black oxide or what ever coating you want. I don't know what military specs are on the Lower but I have done a lot of work for the military and a lot of their jobs are very tight, they don't even want fly crap on it. Maybe the lower are more loose but I am sure all the pin holes are drill, maybe bore then ream. Not being stress relieved can cause your two attach pins to not line up from side to side making it unable to attach the top and bottom receivers. I have never done a 80% before but i would like to talk to someone that has to find out.

Yeah, no. Not with milling out the fire control pocket on a 7075 T6 aluminum. The tolerances for that are fairly loose, the location and size of the hammer and trigger pins are much more critical. These are typically made from a solid forging(when complete) though billet hogouts are common(if pricier).

That stuff you listed would be applicable on steel, AR-15 receivers and receiver extensions are made from aluminum.

Last edited by rayjax82 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That Tactical Machining deal is mighty tempting, been itching to build. How is the quality ?

Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I pulled the proverbial trigger, these things were going like hot cakes so I got unfinished as that is what was left, guess i'll cerakote then. We will see when it arrives then time to find or buy a jig. :snipersmilie:

Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sc00by71 wrote:
That Tactical Machining deal is mighty tempting, been itching to build. How is the quality ?

Only issue I have with them is the fit between upper and lower, a little loose. Other than that every thing seems good. I will say, they are more narrow than milspec, just a tiny bit. This results in the takedown pins and selector switch sticking out 1-2mm. Not a problem for me, makes takedown easier [emoji12]

Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sc00by71 wrote:
Well I pulled the proverbial trigger, these things were going like hot cakes so I got unfinished as that is what was left, guess i'll cerakote then. We will see when it arrives then time to find or buy a jig. :snipersmilie:

Do you cerakote them yourself or do you have someone that does them for you?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:58 am

80percentarms.com sell a good variety of 80%s and jigs. Purchased lowers and jig and it worked out great. Was able to turn out a completed lower in about an hour. With a drill press and laminate cutter. Good product and easy the complete.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:35 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Longloger wrote:
80percentarms.com sell a good variety of 80%s and jigs. Purchased lowers and jig and it worked out great. Was able to turn out a completed lower in about an hour. With a drill press and laminate cutter. Good product and easy the complete.

Welcome to WaGuns, Justin. :wavey:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
sc00by71 wrote:

Only issue I have with them is the fit between upper and lower, a little loose. Other than that every thing seems good. I will say, they are more narrow than milspec, just a tiny bit. This results in the takedown pins and selector switch sticking out 1-2mm. Not a problem for me, makes takedown easier [emoji12]

Good to know. For the price I figured it was worth a shot. Maybe the Cerakote will tighten it up a little. Being narrower than milspec, will it be hard to find a suitable jig ?

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
sc00by71 wrote:

Do you cerakote them yourself or do you have someone that does them for you?

Never tried cerakote myself, undecided at this point need more research and/or feedback.
This will be my first build, I almost started with an eplower polymer but for 40 more I got an upper as well all in 7075-t6. I wasn't too confident in the longevity of the polymer tbh.
I did check out 80percentarms it looks good as well.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sc00by71 wrote:
Never tried cerakote myself, undecided at this point need more research and/or feedback.

Undecided on the finish, or applying it yourself?

Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cycle61 wrote:
sc00by71 wrote:

Undecided on the finish, or applying it yourself?

I guess both, leaning toward fde with maybe some burnt bronze. Never applied it myself so not sure how that will go. I do like to do most things myself though if at all possible due to being both a perfectionist and a tightwad. lol

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sc00by71 wrote:
I guess both, leaning toward fde with maybe some burnt bronze. Never applied it myself so not sure how that will go. I do like to do most things myself though if at all possible due to being both a perfectionist and a tightwad. lol

Good colors. :thumbsup2:

I hear you on the annoying combination of perfectionist/tightwad. I have that, combined with a healthy dose of rather having a slightly f#^d up product that I built rather than a generic one that I paid somebody else for. Might explain the 1984 Chevy diesel pickup in the driveway. I've had a wrench on damn near every bolt of that truck. There are no more surprises. :bigsmile:

Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
Because there was no real push to get this going, I went ahead and bought 2 80% lowers from Tactical Machining. I borrowed my neighbors drill press (yes he knows what I am using it for) and am currently working on my second one. The drill press makes for a difficult process, so it is critical that you do things right from the start. My first one was a pain to complete because I did not do it right although it is complete and functions. SOooo, if you step out and go it on your own, I am happy to help walk you through it and share what I have learned (also willing to let ppl use my jig under my supervision). This is not to say my neighbor's drill press is available to everyone to use. It is definitely bottom of the line and I wouldnt want to put any more wear on it than I have already.
Also, TM has a baddass deal right now selling combo lowers with uppers, total price shipped for both is $88-%92 depending on whether you want anodized or not. To get the deal you add the upper in a drop down menu on the page with the 80% lower. They show as "one" item in you cart. If you add the upper separately it will not give you the deal.
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-pro ... eiver.html
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-pro ... eiver.html

So law says you can make your own but not make one for anyone else, is that it?
So you never have to put a serial on it or notify the police, if you get stopped you just tell them you made it?

I worked as a machinist for 20 yrs. I have my own drill press I bought from a Oly co. going out of business years ago. Hell I have all kinds of drills & taps, lathe tooling AND end mills from my yrs of machining. I guess it would be ok to do on a drill press if you have some very sharp files. The best way to do this would be on a Bridgeport type of machine. Wish I had one, It would be easy to have the build party, set up to crank out a lot of then.

Brian

Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can't make it for someone else. However, after making it for yourself, you can down the road after a non-specified time period sell it after serializing it. 000000001, 000000002...etc. After the first one and partway through the 2nd, I figured out my issue. Many jigs I have seen have you start out with a ton of small holes, then get bigger. The TM jig I have doesn't have the guide for the small bits, but I figured out you need to at least use them around the edge of everything. Then use the 3/8ths or whatever to mill out the center.

Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got my upper/lower combo from TM right before Thanksgiving. Looks good, now to find/buy/borrow/rent a suitable jig to finish. Anyone know which jigs will work on TM Lowers ? :rockout:

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next