Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
 WaGuns goes to SHOT - 2018 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Massivedesign wrote:
Wacarry wrote:
It would make a great fundraiser though, maybe auction off an entry to the shot show. I bet people would donate bigly if that was up for grabs.

We've talked about it... But what would happen if somebody won that we... er... um... well.... ehhhh... yhea.

Bail money is only for Mods and admins. So far Damon and I hold that in safe keeping Just in case. We only had to use it that one time and to pay off the talent.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I watched a lot of youtube coverage on different products that were at the show from a variety of youtubers. When you go, are you looking at guns, accessories, things you want personally, or anything that sparks your interest?

With all that above said:

What were the guns you thought were of special interest?

Accessories that are worth a look/buy?

Things you felt you would want to have in your collection and why?

What were the things that you thought were really cool, but the price point was a bit much, or that needed some refining before it goes to market?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:56 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Wetpaperbag wrote:
I watched a lot of youtube coverage on different products that were at the show from a variety of youtubers. When you go, are you looking at guns, accessories, things you want personally, or anything that sparks your interest?

I wasn't able to be on WaGuns for 3 weeks or so before SHOT... so wasn't keeping up on the list that WaGun's brethren and sistren wanted us to look over.
Not only was I unable to get on the internet for 3 weeks before SHOT, my phone broke ~2 days before SHOT, so my photo and recording ability was confined in an old ZTE phone that had been my 3 year old daughter's plaything for 2 years. No joke.
I apologize for not carrying my weight this year my brethren.
Next year will be different. :thumbsup2:

For me - I try to go to SHOT as a sponge and learn as much about the products and the industry as a whole as I can. I am able to ask more and better questions about those things that I am personally interested in, so next year the plan will be to do some homework before going there so that I am not the guy asking the BRCC if their coffee comes in any other colors. There are such things as really stupid questions, and I don't want to be the guy asking them.

Wetpaperbag wrote:
What were the guns you thought were of special interest?

I am still a fan of the Maxim 9 from SilencerCo. It is not "brand new" for 2018, but according to those who have a more refined and elegant touch the trigger is improved.
I am far too coarse and ignorant to feel the difference, but I have learned to trust my betters.
In general, the new guns that I was able to get my grubbies on didn't attract my attention much. I enjoyed working my way through thousands of handguns and hundreds of rifles that were almost all "new to me".

Wetpaperbag wrote:
Accessories that are worth a look/buy?

The standout in my list as a prism Phone Skope... It doesn't even show up yet on the company's website or I'd link to it. I have written to the company since returning from SHOT asking if they could let me know when it becomes available.
It is an attachment for the back of a rifle scope (or any other optic) that diverts 30% of the light 90 degrees through a hole in which a smart phone can be mounted... So a 70/30 split still leaves plenty of light for the shooter in normal lighting conditions, and the phone looking through the prism can tweak brightness electronically, allowing an instructor to see what the shooter is seeing. It's a brilliant idea and if it looks like the quality, fit and finish are good it will go into my instructor bag for sure.

There are several training systems that caught my eye both last year (still there) and a few that are new this year.
I will have to sort through my 50 pound stack of literature from SHOT and will repost here with the ones that intrigued me the most. Steve and I spent some time at a booth and played around with one that runs about $600 and is carried in a small briefcase, and that one seems to be the one calling to my wallet the most right now because of it's ability to trace the path of the muzzle around the bullseye before and after the trigger pull.
I have a Mantis II on my shelf and when I received it I should have taken it out of the box immediately! It has been very well-reviewed by others. At the time that it arrived in my mail box I was in a schedule that would drive better men than me insane, much like many of HP Lovecraft's characters...
Now that my schedule is opening up slightly (like a pinhole sized light at the end of a long dark tunnel I will do it.

WPB wrote:
Things you felt you would want to have in your collection and why?

hahaha Mr, there was so much awesomeness on display that with a day at the range and 4 days in the convention center not one of us could see it all and pay attention to the best long enough to grok it.
I'm still a sucker for Browning's BL22 after all these years - still haven't had one, and yet I've been dripping saliva all over pictures of them since I was a teenager.
The suppressor booths - let's not even get started on those. I can't wrap enough saran wrap around this keyboard to keep it from shorting out.

One of the categories of items that catches my eye at SHOT is the security camera systems. There are several innovative potential solutions to having remote cameras for security and game that do not require separate cell phone accounts... More on that later.

Haas Automation blew my mind with how inexpensive a pair of their machining centers could be taken home for. These aren't the same machines that they had at 2018 SHOT but I never get tired of machines cutting metal.

WPB wrote:
What were the things that you thought were really cool, but the price point was a bit much, or that needed some refining before it goes to market?

I will look through the photos that our compatriots dumped in the links that were already given for more, but the one firearm that was just irresistible was the AR15 that MadPick described as SEX. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87642&start=195#p861578
Seriously, that is one awesome piece of technology and beauty, although I don't equate it in any way with sexual arousal like Mr MadPick does.

There were several items in the 2018 New Products area (not booths) that were appealing. Because they were in showcases and not in booths, we weren't able to interrogate the vendors about them.
Notably- a pistol that folded into the size and shape of a thicker cell phone.

I'll be back with more later.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about the Ryker FIST fore grip?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

golddigger14s wrote:
How about the Ryker FIST fore grip?

We didn't go into the airsoft section... :ROFLMAO:

But in reality, I didn't see (nor seek out) a Ryker booth. I assume they would have been down in the LE/MIL area that those of us who left on Wednesday didn't scour as much as the main floors.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:47 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Here it is... available summer 2018.

https://www.phoneskope.com/skoped-vision/#skopedsignup

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:

Somehow I'd have a hard time strapping a $400+ phone to something that has an g force of a Bruce Lee's full round house kick to the face and having it hold up shot after shot.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:45 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

AR15L wrote:
PMB wrote:

Somehow I'd have a hard time strapping a $400+ phone to something that has an g force of a Bruce Lee's full round house kick to the face and having it hold up shot after shot.

That's no problem, Rick. You just use the phone of whoever you're shooting with instead of your own.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
AR15L wrote:
PMB wrote:

That's no problem, Rick. You just use the phone of whoever you're shooting with instead of your own.

I think you just ruined it for everyone. :rofl9:

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20