Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Upper Nisqually PRS Style Match 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Hello,

Anyone interested in getting started in PRS match style shooting on the first Saturday of the month (April 1st 9AM) the Upper Nisqually Sportsmans Club host's a great friendly event for $20. entry fee. It is a blast and a great opportunity to improve your skills from 100 to 600 yards.

ImageImage

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:47 am

I just moved up here and might be able to dig my rifle out of the safe. If I show up with my rifle and ~100 rounds of ammo, and a willingness to learn, would I need anything else?

ETA: Provided that you need someone to come in last place for you :)

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll be there with a new shooter to the sport at well. Definitely a good match to get introduced to precision rifle matches. Sign-in at 9:00, new first time shooter orientation 9:30, Safety briefing 9:45, match begins 10:00.

Take a look at this article by the 6.5 Guys (both Steve and Ed may be there as well) - http://www.65guys.com/articles/5-tips-for-attending-your-first-precision-rifle-match/

Except from the article: In fact, the only gear you really need to bring is a scoped rifle with a bipod and ammo capable of consistently shooting within one MOA. Also, be sure to know the ballistic drops or have a ballistic drop table prepared for your rifle/ammo to dial the correct DOPE on your scope for different target ranges.

I recommend the Shooter App as it has ammo in it's library which includes MV and .BC based on factory ammo.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:28 pm

token3495 wrote:
I'll be there with a new shooter to the sport at well. Definitely a good match to get introduced to precision rifle matches. Sign-in at 9:00, new first time shooter orientation 9:30, Safety briefing 9:45, match begins 10:00.

Take a look at this article by the 6.5 Guys (both Steve and Ed may be there as well) - http://www.65guys.com/articles/5-tips-for-attending-your-first-precision-rifle-match/

Except from the article: In fact, the only gear you really need to bring is a scoped rifle with a bipod and ammo capable of consistently shooting within one MOA. Also, be sure to know the ballistic drops or have a ballistic drop table prepared for your rifle/ammo to dial the correct DOPE on your scope for different target ranges.

I recommend the Shooter App as it has ammo in it's library which includes MV and .BC based on factory ammo.

All good info token3495 on spot sir. I do believe there is a speed limit also. Here's some more info........

http://www.uppernisquallysportsmanclub. ... &pageid=70

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:43 pm

May not be able to acquire enough 175gr match ammo by then. If I can, I'll come out. If not, I'll have to wait a month

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chedr wrote:

All good info token3495 on spot sir. I do believe there is a speed limit also. Here's some more info........

http://www.uppernisquallysportsmanclub. ... &pageid=70

:thumbsup2:

Speed limit is normally 3100fps to be steel target friendly.

SixPointEight wrote:
May not be able to acquire enough 175gr match ammo by then. If I can, I'll come out. If not, I'll have to wait a month

Previous matches were around 65 rounds. Even if you don't have enough for the entire match, You could always shoot a few stages to try it out. most stages are between 8-12 rounds.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:25 pm

SixPointEight wrote:

This is a fun match no pressure. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. I used 168gr blems last match. Come join in the fun bring what you got meet new people you"ll have a blast.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Checked with "the boss" last night and she's already made plans for this Saturday. I ought to be able to make next month's though

Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I'm looking to show up this weekend. Just fitted a bipod to our Remington 700 SPS Tac. We have an FFP mil reticle scope.

Seems like a lot are using AR platforms? Is the bolt action OK?

What kind of shots are we to expect?

How much ammo is needed?

How many mags for a stage? I have 2x 5 round mags atm... I also have a 20 round ammo box... and pockets...

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

COF should be posted here later today https://www.facebook.com/practicalrifle/ Most matches are about 60 rnds total Bolt action or gas gun most course are 10 shots 90 seconds SEE U THERE

Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PinSniper wrote:
I think I'm looking to show up this weekend. Just fitted a bipod to our Remington 700 SPS Tac. We have an FFP mil reticle scope.

Seems like a lot are using AR platforms? Is the bolt action OK?

What kind of shots are we to expect?

How much ammo is needed?

How many mags for a stage? I have 2x 5 round mags atm... I also have a 20 round ammo box... and pockets...

:thumbsup2:

The majority of guys there will be running bolt actions, me included. As they are introducing a gas gun series, you'll see more and more AR's.

You'll be expected to put rounds on steel targets from 100-600 yards from prone, off tank traps, boxes, roof tops, etc. Time limits are typically 90 secs - 3 mins.

No mag limit per stage however most stages run from 8-12 rounds per. just have the extra mag and two loose rounds in the pocket.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had a great time out there today, I was the Australian with a Kryptek hat.

Got some good tips on how to prepare. Next time will definitely spend more time on the binocs because finding your target isn't as easy as it looks, especially if you want to use a high power to shoot.

Definitely going to pick up one of these

http://stores.hogsaddle.com/pig-skins-barricade-pad-1/

a quality bipod, practice more positions, get the shooter android app.

That's a big list, but today was a big success for me personally, I more than doubled my personal longest shot and under time pressure!

Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm

PinSniper wrote:

Got some good tips on how to prepare. Next time will definitely spend more time on the binocs because finding your target isn't as easy as it looks, especially if you want to use a high power to shoot.

That's a big list, but today was a big success for me personally, I more than doubled my personal longest shot and under time pressure!

Awesome! I brushed past you a few times I had the black Aero Precision Hoodie. I had never engaged targets at that range till my first match last month. I'm hooked! The hidden target was quite the challenge! It's great fun and I have been collecting PRS gear at a rapid pace since my first match. Glad you made it, hope to see you next month.

Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chedr wrote:
PinSniper wrote:

Awesome! I brushed past you a few times I had the black Aero Precision Hoodie. I had never engaged targets at that range till my first match last month. I'm hooked! The hidden target was quite the challenge! It's great fun and I have been collecting PRS gear at a rapid pace since my first match. Glad you made it, hope to see you next month.

Yeah I noticed your nice hoodie. I think the hidden target I got 3 impacts, but I didn't actually hit the spinner first :p

Pick up any deals on such gear? Since I'm starting, almost anything you find is something I don't have.

Last edited by PinSniper on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:00 pm

PinSniper wrote:
Chedr wrote:
PinSniper wrote:

Yeah I noticed you're nice hoodie. I think the hidden target I got 3 impacts, but I didn't actually hit the spinner first :p

:bigsmile: Nice strategy.

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next